HELP! 06 R6 Dies on cold start and wont idle - Page 3 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 11-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #21
Ryan5544
Suk it, Lee

Re: HELP! 06 R6 Dies on cold start and wont idle

Mine had this EXACT same issue, same bike. I just so happen to have it cracked open right now, to adjust the valves. They have closed up quite a bit. Hoping this clears mine up!
Ryan5544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #22
Tribalic One
This is bat country!

Bike: 2005 white/red R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipelinz View Post
Holy crap, my shop quoted me $250-$300, drop off in the morning and pickup in the evening! I would maybe seek a second opinion.
This was the price range I heard. My buddy just paid $250 to have his GSXR 750 inspected. Didn't need any adjustment.
Tribalic One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #23
Pipelinz
Tracers work both ways

Bike: 04 R6 (Sold) 06 R6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan5544 View Post
Mine had this EXACT same issue, same bike. I just so happen to have it cracked open right now, to adjust the valves. They have closed up quite a bit. Hoping this clears mine up!
Wow, that sucks for you man, if you are feeling the frustration I am with this. Please let me know if it fixes your issue. Are you adjusting the valves yourself, or going to the shop for the adjustment?

Did you check your TPS as well, or go straight to the valves? I will be posting again tonight after I clean up my TPS on if it helped me out or not. Thanks.

“Out of every one hundred men in battle, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” ― Heraclitus
Pipelinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #24
Pipelinz
Tracers work both ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribalic One View Post
This was the price range I heard. My buddy just paid $250 to have his GSXR 750 inspected. Didn't need any adjustment.
Wow, that sucks for your buddy to dish out $250 for no adjustment at all. At least I'll be checking my valves to see if they need adjusting before dropping the cash. I hope for you that you find a bit better price.

“Out of every one hundred men in battle, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” ― Heraclitus
Old 11-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #25
Ryan5544
Suk it, Lee

Quote:
Wow, that sucks for you man, if you are feeling the frustration I am with this. Please let me know if it fixes your issue. Are you adjusting the valves yourself, or going to the shop for the adjustment?

Did you check your TPS as well, or go straight to the valves? I will be posting again tonight after I clean up my TPS on if it helped me out or not. Thanks.

Everything myself! Too cheap, and stubborn to pay someone.

I actually just cleaned the TPS because it was there, in front of me. Started going after it just for the valves.

If you haven't done it in the next week or two weeks, I'll let ya know! Should have everything by then. Takes forever to get shit to Canada.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #26
Tribalic One
This is bat country!

Quote:
Wow, that sucks for your buddy to dish out $250 for no adjustment at all. At least I'll be checking my valves to see if they need adjusting before dropping the cash. I hope for you that you find a bit better price.
Yea, that's why I would like to at least do the inspection myself. The Yamaha techs near me told me not to even worry about it unless I start noticing excessive valve noise or engine performance issues. I don't completely trust that, and now that I see it's not to awful of a job. I'm just going to take a look for peace of mind.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #27
Ryan5544
Suk it, Lee

I'm legally retarded, when it comes to internal engine work.

Even I can do it! (with some pointers of course)

There's enough knowledgeable people around here, who are always more then willing to lend a hand!

DO EEETT! It's too easy once you kinda know what you're doing!
Old 11-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #28
Tribalic One
This is bat country!

lol, I hear ya, I'm a cheap bastard too! I calibrate and maintain all the production equipment used to manufacture optical encoders that are in the $1mil plus range all day, but when it comes to my shit I'm always a lil more cautious!

I'm definitely going to do the inspection, and hopefully it won't require any adjustment. If so, I'll see how motivated I'm feeling on tearing her down further.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #29
Pipelinz
Tracers work both ways

**UPDATE**
So I got home from work and thought I would try starting it again before I went to work on cleaning the TPS. Here is what was different:

Started as per normal (about 4 second after pressing the starter flash up)
This time I thought I would try to keep the RPM at 2500-3000 until it warmed up
After about 10 seconds at 2800ish RPM then engine died again
Yesterday, it did not do this
Tried again, this time with throttle at 4000RPM and the engine still died

Any thoughts if this point to anything different? It really didn't seem to care where the throttle was, it was really not happy until warm. Does this change anyone's direction of where i should go? Or does it still sound like TPS and/or Valves?

About to start taking off the tank etc. to get to the TPS, but wanted to post this first. Thanks.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #30
Pipelinz
Tracers work both ways

Okay so just ran diag mode and here is what i had:

Diagnostic Code 61 (malfunction history)
When it got here threw a faults code 14 and 30 at me

Thoughts? Please help.

*UPDATE* Codes cleared, i actually didn't do anything, just cleared them in diagnostic mode. I'll see if they come back.

Last edited by Pipelinz; 11-15-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement