cannot get into diagnostic mode and dash always shows h1 and code 51 or s1? : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Garage / Mechanical Help

Old 10-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
cbrkp
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 Cbr 600RR & 06 R6
cannot get into diagnostic mode and dash always shows h1 and code 51 or s1?

06 r6r. trying to get into diagnostic mode as per service manual but nothing works.

I dont have a check engine light. but want to get into diagnostic mode to see if thats why the bike is not starting.

The rectifier and regulator is not connected as well as i'm waiting for that piece to arrive so am a little uncertain if that is needed to properly access diagnostic mode.

lastly the dash shows H1 all the time and in trip section i think its shows either 51 or s1

please help thanks
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Ryan5544
Suk it, Lee

Re: cannot get into diagnostic mode and dash always shows h1 and code 51 or s1?

Not entirely sure what the H1 etc. is, but..

To get into diag. mode.

Key off, press and hold reset and select at the same time, hold for about 5 seconds, turn the key on, still holding the two buttons, continue to hold for about 5 more seconds, or until ''DIAG'' is displayed.

Aaaaaaaand you're in.
Ryan5544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
cbrkp
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan5544 View Post
Not entirely sure what the H1 etc. is, but..

To get into diag. mode.

Key off, press and hold reset and select at the same time, hold for about 5 seconds, turn the key on, still holding the two buttons, continue to hold for about 5 more seconds, or until ''DIAG'' is displayed.

Aaaaaaaand you're in.
thanks for the reply. i have been doin that as per the service manual and no luck. . anybody know why i can't? does it have to do with the fact the rectifier and regulator is not hooked up?
Old 10-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
bluerebel
Sometimes..........

Bike: 2012 R6
If you turn the key to ON.. Does the dash light up?

bluerebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:26 AM   #5
cbrkp
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerebel View Post
If you turn the key to ON.. Does the dash light up?
yes it does light up, tach sweeps as per normal just on the right side you always see H1 and 51. cannot go into diagnostic mode. I can however go into tach mode (change shift light, brightness, shift point,etc. )
Old 10-27-2012, 05:19 AM   #6
Matchlessmingler
I eat my R6

Bike: 2006 R6 Team Yamaha Blue

Does the bike start up? Did it do so before you removed the rectifier? Code 51 is an immobilizer malfunction - meaning there is no connection or faulty connection between the transponder (your key) and the immobilizer. Did you have any starting issues with the bike before?

"H1" you're referring to is HI. If I'm not mistaken, it implies high temperature.

I always make sure everything is hooked up before doing any service or diagnostics cos' it tends to confuse you when codes are thrown up. You can't really tell if its cos' of a genuine fault or because of the disconnected components.

If you're not running the engine and it indicates a high temperature, you may have a problem with your cooling system particularly the fan and thermostat. However, if you didn't have any fault codes prior to service, the first practical thing to do is put everything back together the way it was before fettling around with anything else.

Good luck!
2006 R6 Outline
Matchlessmingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
cbrkp
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlessmingler View Post
Does the bike start up? Did it do so before you removed the rectifier? Code 51 is an immobilizer malfunction - meaning there is no connection or faulty connection between the transponder (your key) and the immobilizer. Did you have any starting issues with the bike before?

"H1" you're referring to is HI. If I'm not mistaken, it implies high temperature.

I always make sure everything is hooked up before doing any service or diagnostics cos' it tends to confuse you when codes are thrown up. You can't really tell if its cos' of a genuine fault or because of the disconnected components.

If you're not running the engine and it indicates a high temperature, you may have a problem with your cooling system particularly the fan and thermostat. However, if you didn't have any fault codes prior to service, the first practical thing to do is put everything back together the way it was before fettling around with anything else.

Good luck!
thanks for the reply and funny you ask if it start as it does not . I recently purchased this bike missing the front end,fairings and uncertain it starts. slowly puttting it back together and the last item missing is the rectifier.

i did more diggin and from what you've said along with what ive read it does sound to be immobilizer related (bike cranks but does not start and i cannot hear the fuel pump prime). the immobilizer looks to be fiddled with or previously broken or hacked but something fishy is going on for sure. the previous owner only had a black key for me and no red key. so i dont think i can try and flash it as per normal methods. the red key light (immobilizer) does not light up either so not sure if that is related.

if its an immobilizer related issue can (flash tune) disable the immobilizer function? and are there other options ie: can i get a US harness and Ecu? this will be a track bike anyways.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
Matchlessmingler
I eat my R6

Bike: 2006 R6 Team Yamaha Blue

I had a friend who screwed up his immobilizer. I wouldn't bother contacting Yamaha for a replacement $$$$. The only thing that eventually worked out was one of those programmable race ecu's you get on Ebay that bypass the security. All he did was swap/remove a few connector pins that went into the ecu and it was as good as new....without the immobilizer function of course.

Alternately, you can get a replacement from Motomatrix (UK), where you have to send in your keys, ignition and ecu. Or maybe if you can source a used ignition system with the aforementioned parts + tank cap and seat lock. I'm not sure but the US spec might be the cheapest option if it can be accommodated - unfortunately I don't know for sure.

As for the security light not flashing, it only stays on for just 24h after your last ignition turn and then goes off.

I'm not entirely sure how much a red key would have helped in your situation with a broken immobilizer. Has it sustained any damage or has it been replaced?

Either way, I hope you manage to sort it out as you seem to have put a lot of effort into it. I have attached an extract from the service manual. Hope it helps. Best of luck!

2006 R6 Outline
Matchlessmingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
cbrkp
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlessmingler View Post
I had a friend who screwed up his immobilizer. I wouldn't bother contacting Yamaha for a replacement $$$$. The only thing that eventually worked out was one of those programmable race ecu's you get on Ebay that bypass the security. All he did was swap/remove a few connector pins that went into the ecu and it was as good as new....without the immobilizer function of course.

Alternately, you can get a replacement from Motomatrix (UK), where you have to send in your keys, ignition and ecu. Or maybe if you can source a used ignition system with the aforementioned parts + tank cap and seat lock. I'm not sure but the US spec might be the cheapest option if it can be accommodated - unfortunately I don't know for sure.

As for the security light not flashing, it only stays on for just 24h after your last ignition turn and then goes off.

I'm not entirely sure how much a red key would have helped in your situation with a broken immobilizer. Has it sustained any damage or has it been replaced?

Either way, I hope you manage to sort it out as you seem to have put a lot of effort into it. I have attached an extract from the service manual. Hope it helps. Best of luck!

thanks for the reply matey!

the immobilizer has sustained substaintial damage and looks to be repaired but not totally sure how well repaired.

This is going to be a track bike so I have been considering flash tune, so I think I will go with that. I'll disable the immobilizer with the flash tune interface and remove it altogether anyways. just hope that the problem I'm having is actually the immobilizer not something else heh.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:01 AM   #10
MRVR6
My R6 eats me.

Hi, did you manage to get the bike into diagnostic mode? I have a similar situation with an '09 R6 I'm trying to revive for the track. I am trying to get into diagnostic mode (holding SELECT/RESET, switching on main switch, holding 8 seconds ...) but its not getting there.
MRVR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement