Steering problem? : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Suspension settings

Old 10-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
gmr312
canyon dancer

Bike: r6 11
Steering problem?

My r6 2011, when make a hard turn at the canyon,my bike wobble/jerk, even w good counter steering technic. Will steering damper resolve this. Any different/advantages between hyper pro and gpr? Thx
gmr312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
ridick_bowen
Stunt Rider

Bike: R6/R1 Hybrid
Re: Steering problem?

Yes it will but I'm sure this "wobble/jerk" has more to due with skill.
Zeus Armor crash cage, sub-cage, stunt stay, subframe brace, R1 rectifier mod. ATC steel subframe & ATC 12 bar. Runman big rotor HB setup with r6 monoblock calipers. Stunter-X res clamp hose kit. Dented gas tank with HT moto grip. Kleen air mod. GPR steering damper. Brembo RCS 19 FB. SS brake lines. BMC air filter. JACO adjustable clip ons. Brembo 16x18 HB. 05 R1 front forks. 06 FZ-6 rear rotor. NGK plugs. DCP radiator cage. LP gas cap. Secondary radiator fan switch setup. Squidfighter tailsaver. Leo Vince CBR 250 exhaust. Custom hole in rear passenger seat. Naarden shark fin. 15/48t 520 gearing. CRG mirrors.
ridick_bowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
yuengling910
Pastor of Muppets

Bike: 07 R6S

Check tire pressures and suspension set up. Damper may help but it would be masking the problem
yuengling910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
gmr312
canyon dancer

Bike: r6 11

I have no problem riding w gxsr or zx6r. My tire pressure r good n suspension adjusted by pro. I like r6 but lost a lot of confident in the canyon. I don't want to sell it if I can resolve it, but look like I will. Thx for the info guys
gmr312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
mgossel
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridick_bowen View Post
Yes it will but I'm sure this "wobble/jerk" has more to due with skill.
I would have to agree...I wouldn't blame the bike. You probably have to much pressure on the bars. Relax the arms. The more you think about it, the more tense you will be and it will only get worse.

My .02, but if you say you can ride a GSXR and ZX6R...maybe you should have purchased one of them.
mgossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
Mr. Azim
I eat my R6

Suspension is an ongoing setup.... i had mine done by a pro but i still do adjusting as i ride.... Mine handles like shit in the pits unDer 10km/h but a dream mid corner. The pro may have just done basic setup or the way he likes it....
SOAR Novice #84
2006 Yamaha YZF-R6

2013 Sponsors/Supporters
Trackside Cuts Custom Leather & Vinyl
MikeyMoto Racing Lightweight Brake Rotors, Levers & Guards
Racer5 & Speedworx Racer Training & Motorcycle Accessories/Parts/Repairs
Bluestreak Racing Motorcycle Parts & Accessories
Vortex Racing Motorcycle Parts & Accessories
Mr. Azim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #7
ridick_bowen
Stunt Rider

Bike: R6/R1 Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgossel View Post
I would have to agree...I wouldn't blame the bike. You probably have to much pressure on the bars. Relax the arms. The more you think about it, the more tense you will be and it will only get worse.

My .02, but if you say you can ride a GSXR and ZX6R...maybe you should have purchased one of them.
I only ride in the lot. But, I ride much better when I'm relaxed.
Zeus Armor crash cage, sub-cage, stunt stay, subframe brace, R1 rectifier mod. ATC steel subframe & ATC 12 bar. Runman big rotor HB setup with r6 monoblock calipers. Stunter-X res clamp hose kit. Dented gas tank with HT moto grip. Kleen air mod. GPR steering damper. Brembo RCS 19 FB. SS brake lines. BMC air filter. JACO adjustable clip ons. Brembo 16x18 HB. 05 R1 front forks. 06 FZ-6 rear rotor. NGK plugs. DCP radiator cage. LP gas cap. Secondary radiator fan switch setup. Squidfighter tailsaver. Leo Vince CBR 250 exhaust. Custom hole in rear passenger seat. Naarden shark fin. 15/48t 520 gearing. CRG mirrors.
ridick_bowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:26 AM   #8
Clarkjet
My R6 eats me.

i had mine done by a pro but i still do adjusting as i ride. Mine handles like shit in the pits unDer 10km/h but a dream mid corner. The pro may have just done basic setup or the way he likes it.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #9
danaatscootdotnet
www.1seven1.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmr312 View Post
when make a hard turn at the canyon,my bike wobble/jerk, even w good counter steering technic.
Can you give more specifics? How fast a turn? Smooth or rough pavement? On the gas or brakes? Did you lose traction in the front or rear? Describe your "good counter steering technic"

The way you describe it, sound like you almost pitched the bike down the road. A steering damper won't fix that, but could mask the problem.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #10
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

steering dampers are safety devices, that help keep the front wheel from going into a tank-slapper if you put the wheels off the pavement then came back on suddenly. Or if the bike wheelied a bit exiting a corner on the gas, and you touched down without the front wheel straight.. steering dampers are NOT band-aids for suspension/handling woes.
if it was really needed to be safe as it is off the showroom floor, the bike would come with one. Some race organizations require them .. Some riders crank the damper way up thinking it helps the handling. They are doin it wrong.

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement