Winter Overhauls... need stands : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 11-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
scibona55
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2005 Raven
Arrow Winter Overhauls... need stands

While doing all my projects over the winter I'm obviously going to need a stand. My question is do I really need a front and a rear stand or can I do the majority of my work with only a rear? Also what brands do you suggest? ...I'm not looking for the ferrari of stands just something inexpensive that will do the job for years to come.

(found someone on here selling a gyt-r stand for $35 + shipping) take it or leave it?
scibona55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
pickpocket293
iRun

Bike: 1/8th of an 06
Re: Winter Overhauls... need stands

Buy this pitbull and put your mind at ease... there's nothing worse than buying a cheap stand and having your fcking bike end up on its side in the garage when you're in the middle of swapping out the forks or something.

http://www.wiriders.com/forum/showth...tands-for-sale
Old 11-17-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
blue00r6
Riding blue

Bike: '00 R6, 2 '74 Honda cb450

Harbor Freight carries a rear swingarm motorcycle stand. If you can find a store that has one in stock it's like $29 OTD. They probably have some mixed reviews but for the price I don't think you can beat that deal.
blue00r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
smalltrack
scared of big tracks

Bike: 07 R6, 09 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue00r6 View Post
Harbor Freight carries a rear swingarm motorcycle stand. If you can find a store that has one in stock it's like $29 OTD. They probably have some mixed reviews but for the price I don't think you can beat that deal.
Until the bike goes down.
smalltrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
zero389
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 R6

I picked up a set of mjmoto stands, front head lift and rear spool, for like $115. Seem to be built pretty solid, I havent had any problems. But if your up for spending the money pitbull would be the way to go.
zero389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
yuengling910
Pastor of Muppets

Bike: 07 R6S

T-rex racing for budget. Pitbull are the best if you have the monies.
yuengling910 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
Rriggs92
Yamaha R6

Bike: 07 r6
Go to your local shop and look through their catalog. I ended up getting psr front and rear for like 110 bucks they haven't failed on me at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Rriggs92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuengling910 View Post
T-rex racing for budget. Pitbull are the best if you have the monies.
Unfortunatley, the T-rex stands do work, but the head lift part hits the fender. You need to lift the bike to pull it out.

Fork lift sucks cause it gets in the way of the axle and you need to put the grabby part under the rotor bolt extension part of the fork and lift from there. It twists the forks a bit so getting the axle in and out is a nightmare.

The vortex stands weren't bad, but are discontinued now. I have a couple sets. The rear one bent on me when I tipped the bike on it a couple times.

Pitbull is surely the best out there. Nobody can say otherwise! I don't have em, but have the trailer restraint system which is the bees knees by far.

I recently bought a set of woodcraft stands to use in the shop. I sell a LOT of woodcraft so I figured I'd give em a shot. This way I got every single pin for the front for just about any bike. The front WC head lift stand is by FAR the easiest stand to use. The arm is the only one that isn't all up in my brake lines. Not only that, it is effortless to lift the bike. They even have a paper hanging from it with a picture of a girl doing it and then a caption saying how easy the bike goes up!! It also has adjustable height on it so you will always clear the fender, and alway have the tire far enough off the ground for warmers, or to get the bike level if you want to etc.

The rear WC stand is spool or no spool. The spool one isn't adjustable but works on all the bikes somehow (maybe since we have WC spools on all of em to protect the swingarm). The non spooled one I have only tried, but it work VERY well and has nice rubber grips for under the swingarm that really do well.

Redline stands are cheap, get the job done and are the ones that came with my bike. I sold em to Burg and he continues to use them without hassle, but they aren't as sturdy as the others but are SUPER affordable.

With that being said, if you're lookin for new stands, lemme know. Pitbull, or WC, or there's also a handful I can get through the BIG catalog distributors as well.

And if anyone says otherwise, they have great patience, but working on the bike on the side stand sucks. I dunno why, but it's so much easier with the bike on both stands and in the air.

I would also defnitely get the head light stand. Ride height adjustments are VERY common once you start changing tires and sizes, etc. Buy and plan for the future, not for today!

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #9
S3aturnR
track junkie

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scibona55 View Post
While doing all my projects over the winter I'm obviously going to need a stand. My question is do I really need a front and a rear stand or can I do the majority of my work with only a rear? Also what brands do you suggest? ...I'm not looking for the ferrari of stands just something inexpensive that will do the job for years to come.

(found someone on here selling a gyt-r stand for $35 + shipping) take it or leave it?
you get what you pay for. pitbull is the stand which all other stands are measured. stick with the best and you will never be disappointed. get the new style front stand that lifts from the steering head and you can remove the forks, too...

s3aturnr
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #10
bryan j
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero389 View Post
I picked up a set of mjmoto stands, front head lift and rear spool, for like $115. Seem to be built pretty solid, I havent had any problems. But if your up for spending the money pitbull would be the way to go.
2 years and my mjmotos still work great.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
bryan j is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement