rear tire kick out - Page 2 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Tire Tech Talk

Old 11-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #11
S3aturnR
track junkie

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6
Re: rear tire kick out

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaka433 View Post
what im asking is if moving the tire farther back effect cornering.?
i know some people who believe that moving the axle all the way back like that actually improves handling somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
post number 2 was the winner. You need to learn better throttle control given the conditions you have

s3aturnr
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #12
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3aturnR View Post
i know some people who believe that moving the axle all the way back like that actually improves handling somehow.

s3aturnr
yes, on some tracks, given some bike setups .. in theory it makes for a more stable bike. but we are not talking highway speed setups. we are talking 4th-5th gear, 14,000rpm sweeping corners with both wheels sliding a bit. having the wheel all the way back MAY have it not turn in as well for slower corners. That said, my bikes work pretty well regardless if the axle is back or forward (gotta love the JRi shock and the cup tires).

Just because the axle is all the way forward doesn't mean the bike will turn in well, but be unstable in fast sweeping corners.. nor does having it all the way back mean it won't turn in but be stable. It's just one variable a rider and tuner can adjust when needed. Fork height, tire pressure, compression and rebound settings, preload, and even the rider position on the bike, (the list goes on) can all contribute to a bike handling well or not.

I heard talk of one pro years ago, that would show up to the track, mark the swingarm with a marker, and tell the mechanic "get the axle there with "X" gear ratio".. they would simply have to use a combo of front and rear sprockets, and chain length, that would get the axle to that specific location.

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #13
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

With the axle that far back, the bike isn't gonna turn too well. So shorten the wheelbase, or try lowering the front ride height a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if you're running out of tire cause you're trying to lean so far to make the bike turn.

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #14
pickpocket293
iRun

Bike: Sold off in pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
With the axle that far back, the bike isn't gonna turn too well. So shorten the wheelbase, or try lowering the front ride height a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if you're running out of tire cause you're trying to lean so far to make the bike turn.
You think so? I'm thinking this guy is getting throttle-happy on cold tires on the street with improper technique and is about two more corners like that away from killing himself.

Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s? HERE
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250? HERE
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer? HERE
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz? HERE
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH? HERE
  • How does rotating mass work? HERE
pickpocket293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #15
Fallis
Meh

Bike: 05 R6 Track, 09 R1, Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaka433 View Post
02 r6 ,just had a 520 ek chain sprocket change +2 rear-1 front and my tires keep sliding out on me . never happend before only thing I've noticed is the rear tire is all the way back of adjustment. chain needs to be shortened but it needs to strech first. tires are fairly new q2s. do i need to rest suspension. i almost slid under an oncoming truck, luckily i kicked my leg out and pushed myself up.
Is the chain slack correct? Why does it need to "stretch" before you can shorten it? (Chains don't actually stretch, they wear.)

If you don't have enough slack it'll essentially lock up the rear suspension, which isn't going to help with whatever you've got going on. Being poor throttle control, or a greased up tire. You didn't Armor All your tires did you?
Fallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #16
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpocket293 View Post
You think so? I'm thinking this guy is getting throttle-happy on cold tires on the street with improper technique and is about two more corners like that away from killing himself.
I agree with you too 100%. But I know if I had the wheelbase and possibly not even lowered for the taller front 70 series, it would be so wide and the line would be long with a turn at the end like a hook. I've run the long wheelbase on it to try and you can pin your knee, then the bike turns a second (what seems like forever) for it to start actually making the turn..

Geometry is no joke. All sag settings aside, it's what really limits and factors the most into how the bike turns.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
Old 11-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #17
topherchris
My R6 is trouble.

Bike: 2007 R6 - 2006 R1
If you're worried about the tire bring greasy for some reason why not just take some sand paper and scuff it up a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
topherchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #18
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by topherchris View Post
If you're worried about the tire bring greasy for some reason why not just take some sand paper and scuff it up a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
There's so little info and so much to consider here.

What tire size? Especially the front.

What tire pressure front/rear?

Where is it you manage to lean so far your leg/knee is down?

How many miles on the tires? What would you consider the tread condition to be?

What's the ambient air temp, time of day, dew point, pavement temp low or high (day/night/cloudy/wet?).

It's impossible to throw out any one thing for OP here. But if we get the right info out of him, maybe he can make his way towards a much better overall setup regardless. And I don't want to discount geometry. This 02 can get so far out of a decent range between wheelbase and ride hieght, especially as if effects trail, and the way this lonnnng swingarm acts as a gigantic lever on the shock spring cannot be underestimated as a potential problem with his setup. Whether it's what caused him to lose all this traction, etc on a known decent tire is weird for sure tho

Old 11-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #19
Shush319
Big ol pile of them bones

Bike: 01' CLE R6, 88' GSXR 750

Grip it n rip it dirt track style!!!!!!

CCS Rookie 2014
Shush319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #20
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shush319 View Post
Grip it n rip it dirt track style!!!!!!
That video was SO sick!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement