HELP! 06 R6 Dies on cold start and wont idle - Page 4 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 11-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #31
Pipelinz
Tracers work both ways

Bike: 04 R6 (Sold) 06 R6R
Re: HELP! 06 R6 Dies on cold start and wont idle

So I cleaned the TPS, it was a little dirty, but not too bad, buttoned everything up and flashed her up. Problem still exists, no change at all. I'm in the process of checking the valves right now. 2 beer into it so far and halfway through Metallica's Ride the lightening album.........lol. will post once valves are checked.

“Out of every one hundred men in battle, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” ― Heraclitus
Pipelinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #32
Ryan5544
Suk it, Lee

Ryan5544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #33
Pipelinz
Tracers work both ways

Okay, so after a bunch of beers and some good tunes, I got the valves all checked. It was actually easier than I thought. Now the good/bad news.

Good news:Clearances were all within tolerance and everything looked good and I got to do it on my own, which was very satisfying.

Intake: 0.11mm ~ 0.20mm (0.0043in ~ 0.0079in)
Exhaust: 0.21mm ~ 0.30mm (0.0083in ~ 0.0118in)

Bad News:I now have no idea WTF is wrong with my bike. TPS was good, valves were good. I spoke with a Yamaha tech at my local shop and he seems to be thinking ECU and/or temp sensor. Anyone have anymore input? I guess I need to take it to the shop now and pay for some troubleshooting.

“Out of every one hundred men in battle, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” ― Heraclitus
Old 11-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #34
Ryan5544
Suk it, Lee

Well... Temp. sensor is cheap to replace....

I would think the ECU is quite a drastic conclusion to jump to, but who knows!
Old 11-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #35
Pipelinz
Tracers work both ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan5544 View Post
Well... Temp. sensor is cheap to replace....

I would think the ECU is quite a drastic conclusion to jump to, but who knows!
Yeah thats what I thought as well. I'll start with the temp sensor next I guess and go from there. At least the weather is miserable right now, so I am not missing much riding, still, I am starting to get a bit frustrated. In the end, at least I am getting to know my bike better. Will let you know what it is, when/if I ever figure it out.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #36
Ryan5544
Suk it, Lee

What I wonder is though, if you take it to the guy to have it fixed, is he just going to replace the ecu, and charge you for it? (if it doesn't end up being the issue)

Or, is there a way they can test the current unit
Old 11-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #37
Pipelinz
Tracers work both ways

Very good point, didn't think of that. I do have other shop options in town here, so I don't HAVE to take it there and after your comment, it might be good not to actually. I'll do a search to find if there is a way to test the ECU, vice just replacing it. Thanks for the info and idea, that's why I love this forum so much. I appreciate all your help and time on this PITA issue.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:42 AM   #38
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Was anyone else not surprised the valves were within spec? OP indicated 29,000 KM not miles.

Good luck to you. Maybe someone has a spare ECU you can swap in to see if it helps. Any friend with an 06-07.

Is the air filter OEM also?

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #39
Pipelinz
Tracers work both ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
Was anyone else not surprised the valves were within spec? OP indicated 29,000 KM not miles.

Good luck to you. Maybe someone has a spare ECU you can swap in to see if it helps. Any friend with an 06-07.

Is the air filter OEM also?
Yeah I was not surprised by the valves to be honest, but people had recommended to check them and since I was cleaning the TPS, thought I would get them checked anyway.

I will ask a buddy of mine on an 07 to see if we can try the ECU swtich, good idea for sure. The air filter was just changed in July. Thanks for the ideas.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #40
NSGF
Over my dead body.

Bike: 06 Raven R6

I believe I had this same problem on my 2006 R6. This video shows my exact problem:

(1:55)

For him, his bike was stock and he fixed it by getting the valves adjusted.

For me, I changed the plugs and it seemed to help a tiny bit, and then I remapped the power commander from a custom european map the guy before me did to a full akrapovic map (I have a full termignoni system). This fixed the problem 100%, and it has never happened again in the past 2000 miles.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by NSGF; 11-19-2012 at 02:38 PM.
NSGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement