Chief's 02 R6 Thread - Page 43 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Bike Build Forum

Old 11-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #421
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6
Re: Chief's 02 R6 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky5000100 View Post
Now that you're way more knowledgeable about suspension and geometry, I have a question:

When switching to the 70 series front, how much should I be lowering the front forks by? Logic tells me 10mm, but I'd like to make sure.
You would lower the front ride height and raise the forks through the triple.

Go 6mm. 10mm is too much. 6mm works well with the pures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxxEdge View Post
Why does logic tell you 10mm?
:

Quote:
As I was typing out a reply to this, I did some more research to make sure I knew what I was talking about.

I always thought the 60 part of 120/60 was the sidewall height in mm. Turns out it is the aspect ratio of the width (60% of 120). Is this right?

If so, then would the calculations be something like this?:

120 x .7 = 84mm
120 x .6 = 72mm

I understand that it may be slightly different on different brands. I figured I'd ask Chief since he runs Power Pures like I do.

Also I see a how to: http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/r...ries-tire.html
which states to raise the forks through the triple by 8mm.

I just confuse myself the more research I do on suspension

Ideally, what you wanna do is measure from the center of the axle to the ground on both tires mounted. That's the change you want to make if you wanna be more exact about it. Add 1-2mm for a seriously worn out tire vs new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My94GT View Post
for real man just ask chief, be it the tune or the suspension i really dont know i just ride the damn bike as fast as i can till he says otherwise

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #422
Rocky5000100
I eat my R6

Bike: 2003 Track SV650, 05 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
You would lower the front ride height and raise the forks through the triple.
Yea that's what I meant lol

Quote:
Go 6mm. 10mm is too much. 6mm works well with the pures.

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #423
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Quote:
Yea that's what I meant lol

Thanks!

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
Old 11-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #424
WI BO$$ R6
Two wheels (Optional)

Bike: 2001 R6

Impressive thread Chief! Just read the entire thing... lol. Ive had my 01 for two years now and absolutely love it. Im glad you decided not to get rid of yours as it is one hell of a machine! I have been navigating the forum since Ive owned the bike and finally decided to join last week. You definatley seem to be the most knowlegeable on 1st gens. That being said I will probably be contacting you with any questions I stumble upon as I continue to mod my 01. I might be interested in purchasing parts/fluids from you in the future as well, so ill be in touch!

Last edited by WI BO$$ R6; 11-29-2012 at 06:47 PM.
WI BO$$ R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:14 PM   #425
Chris_Guthrie
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Updates? I feel like I just watched 3 seasons of an awesome new interactive show on speed, and it just got canceled. Chief show FTW! I need somethin to pass this time while trying to rig this effed up crankcase. (Guess previous owner snapped a chain, guess the surprise I got when I got the chain cover off... First "street" bike ever, 02 r6, and just got laid off, eff me right)

But I just read this whole thing, like 8hrs straight including videos and all. I think my eyes are still bleeding. Lol... But hella difference between your first track day vid and the last. But keep it coming, 1st gen love!
Chris_Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #426
contrablu
I eat cheese

Bike: 2000 R6 red&white

I'm in the process of rebuilding my 2000. My timing jumped while I was working on it this October and I've finally gotten around to tearing into the engine. Got everything re-timed and as it should, but it looks like I have low compression in all 4 cylinders. I checked the valve clearances and all of the exhaust valves are in clearance and all but 4 intake valves are well within clearance, the other 4 are barely in the acceptable range but they're still good. Might as well re do the shims while I've got the valve cover off.

I did a rudimentary leak down test by hooking my air compressor to each of the 4 cylinders. I didn't hear any leaking through the valves but I did hear quite a bit into the crankcase. That got me thinking though, all of the leak down occurring now was occurring before my timing jumped in October and at the time my engine still produced enough power to lift the front wheel under power alone. I don't know how much of a problem it will be, or if some of it is a result of the cylinder linings being "washed" of oil from not having been run. Oh well, I guess I'll see about putting the carbs on and see if I can get it to turn over.

Any suggestions chief?
contrablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #427
r6bluejae
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: '98YZF600R (sold), '01 R6

Feel pretty bitterswet after reading this thread. No more '02 for Chief from what I know. Answers all the questions you've got as well.

Also shout out to Rocky. Very reputable seller who has learned a lot in the last few years from what I can tell. I bought a LOR from him recently that was for a 06-09 R6 (he mounted it on his '02) and was very helpful in helping me install it via this forum and gmail with pictures and instructions. Actually over the phone as well.

I just love this forum. So much help from members!
r6bluejae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:06 PM   #428
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

THREAD REVIVAL!!! :

636cc Superbike motor install today. Pistons, rods, head work, back cut trans gears, jet kit came with it etc. Shit is GONNA FLYYY Dragged the bike over to the shop. Will be bombing with pics and updates all day.

Front wheel on the rack and jack it up when motor comes out seems to work best for us when we are pulling a motor. That and a floor jack and it's ON!!

Bodywork off

Crated up motor via UPS and BDR Woody

Exhaust off.. Snapped a couple rusty ass studs for the headers. Hopefully the replacement motor has em on there.

Pile of goodies

Dropped the coolant. Will use Engine Ice this go around.

Last edited by ChiefSmokeDawg; 05-18-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:12 PM   #429
milko
Sherwin Antagonist

Bike: 2009 r6

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac7504 View Post
Saw the cooter, was no impressed...There were things that fell to the ground; deeply saddened me...
Quote:
Its gonna be awesome to be back on the track tho. Being there all weekend and not riding was like getting a lapdance in sweatpants bro! :
MyNotSoSuper Build
milko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:25 PM   #430
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Fcukin chain needs some love from sitting in the garage for over a year!

Gonna pull the power pures off and put em on this 08 I'm flipping.. I've got a new set of V2 Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP's. 180/60 rear. Best street tires hands down

Uncrating to see what all needs to come off the existing motor before we drop it. Gotta get an order of operations together.

I dig the painted covers!

Jetsssssss

Looks like LEft and right NRC covers. That means I have a Graves igntion cover and an unpainted NRC Stator cover to sell now. Shit on the shelf been planning on using but not needed now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement