100 Miles and Damn Nail in back tire - Page 2 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Tire Tech Talk

Old 11-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #11
My94GT
Premium Member

Re: 100 Miles and Damn Nail in back tire

i say go with the pures or the S20s ive heard nothing but good things about the S20s and i personally love the pures.

sig by milko
my build thread-
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152740
My94GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #12
thejohnny
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2012 R6 GP Edition
Send a message via ICQ to thejohnny Send a message via AIM to thejohnny Send a message via Yahoo to thejohnny

Here's what it looks like..sort of off to the side:

Not sure if a plug would work. The tire has a bit of a bubble in it. I have a plug kit, I guess it's worth a shot.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #13
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejohnny View Post
Here's what it looks like..sort of off to the side:

Not sure if a plug would work. The tire has a bit of a bubble in it. I have a plug kit, I guess it's worth a shot.

Plug it. Light the plug on fire so it melts into a great seal. Ride off and let it spin over once or twice. Then come back and pour water on it to see if it bubbles out of there.

Stay out of construction zones or anywhere that may have nails and shit.

Everything high performance and expensive is like a nail magnet!!!!

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #14
thejohnny

Send a message via ICQ to thejohnny Send a message via AIM to thejohnny Send a message via Yahoo to thejohnny

Thanks....got your pm as well. Yeah, I didn't hit any construction zones. From my house to work and bada bing, nail! It's just what happens, ya know! That and rock chips on new paint.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #15
pete123
Live 2 Ride, Ride 2 Live

Bike: 2008 R6

Best way to fix a puntire is to patch it. This requires you to remove the tire and put the patch from inside. It's most reliable way to repair the tire.

I got a nail in my tire couple months ago when it had about 1,000 miles. The tire was patched from inside. To date (about 5,000 miles later),no issues, no air leaks, no worries, tho the good part was that the nail was in the dead center of the tire.

That said, if you have a bubble, then i the tire is shot and you are better off replacing it.

I do recommend power pures for street riding. Im almost done with second set and third set is already waiting in the garage to be put on before next season.
pete123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #16
thejohnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete123 View Post
Best way to fix a puntire is to patch it. This requires you to remove the tire and put the patch from inside. It's most reliable way to repair the tire.

I got a nail in my tire couple months ago when it had about 1,000 miles. The tire was patched from inside. To date (about 5,000 miles later),no issues, no air leaks, no worries, tho the good part was that the nail was in the dead center of the tire.

That said, if you have a bubble, then i the tire is shot and you are better off replacing it.

I do recommend power pures for street riding. Im almost done with second set and third set is already waiting in the garage to be put on before next season.

Thanks, yeah the bubble is what is scaring me right now. I think I found a good deal from a vendor on here but will most certainly shop it around with others as well. No rush so I can take my time and find a good deal.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #17
EL CHE
Libertad

Bike: 2006 R6 Raven

I gotten a couple of nails on my rear S20.

Luckily, they both never punctured through. I just grabbed the nails with some pliers and yanked them out. I also though I had to replace my tire just after I have recently got them installed.

The bulge is probably the nail coming back out and didnt punctured through. It could save you a trip to the tire shop.
EL CHE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #18
lopez95632
candy red

Bike: 07 r6s
Send a message via MSN to lopez95632

Patch it. You'll be fine as long as its not leaking after.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:15 AM   #19
PartyPizza

^This. Same thing happened to me. Tire shop plugged it and its held ever since. Cant even tell it happened. No worries.
PartyPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:42 AM   #20
TinyDancer
Resident Bulgarian

Bike: '12 R6

Had the same exact thing happen to me but at the 1000 mile mark and with the front. Didn't puncture through but, in my mind, especially on a two wheeled machine, the only thing keeping you on the road are those tires. I would just replace it.

Never risk a patch/plug failing. Get rid of stock tires. Get more grip from better shoes.

Profit.

KCCO
TinyDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement