Daines Laguna Seca Pro Estiva... incredible : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Safety Equipment

Old 11-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
iHak
Premium Member

CRASHED! Daines Laguna Seca Pro Estiva... incredible

I just wanted to say, as far as safety goes, this suit is out of this world. Phenomenal.

I'm virtually unscathed after 90-100mph crash, through a 20' hardwood shrub/tree (didnt hit the main trunk, but tore off a whole bunch of branches thicker than my arm.

One of these branches caught me in the shoulder, broke my shoulder, but remember this is HARDWOOD, and at that speed, I feel like other suits would have had my arm ripped off.

The second amazing thing is, after smashing through the tree, sliding about 80 to 100 yards with the bike on top of my leg, I only have minor bruises on my leg, and the SUIT HARDLY LOOKS LIKE IT WAS CRASHED!!!! It has one quarter sized hole, and the metal shoulder plate is dinged bad, as well as the shoulder leather armor, but the sliding.... just looks a little bit roughed up... nothing a bit of cleaner/conditioner can't take care of.

I will never use any other suit other than Dainese.... But I'm not some kind of elitist.. I'm sure there are other brands that are also incredible.. just wanted to let you know how happy I am with my suit.

How it happened: Just realized I hadn't really explained how this happened. It was pretty much the classic "came into the corner too hot, went off the road, lost control etc etc crash" but with a twist. That particular corner is one I'm very familiar with, and I've gotten a bit silly more than a few times coming into it, but always been able to just extend a bit more lean out off the bike, tighten my line and keep going. And that's exactly what I started to do this time.. except the instant I started to try to lean lower, (and I guess I leaned forward more too) I felt this sharp intense pain in my right side just under my collarbone in my rib. My broken rib. Yep, that's right... I should not have been riding that night at all. About a week prior, I'd broken my rib while kitesurfing. (in case you don't know what kitesurfing is, here's a clip of me doing it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dA-...o&feature=plcp )

So I knew there was a relatively clear runoff at this corner (it was pitch dark, but I know the road) and I knew there was one tree there. I couldn't hold the line with the pain in my rib so I decided to try to just straighten up and slow down. Unfortunately as luck would have it, I was headed directly at the tree. These Ironwood trees get their name exactly as you'd imagine them to. They're unbelievably tough trees. I knew if I collided with the tree, I'd probably die. It's funny how instincts kick in during a situation like this. Time almost stands still as soon as you realize you might die.. I just remember knowing that my bike needed to hit the tree instead of me. It had to be my shield. Not really sure how I did it, but I ended up lowsiding before the tree and just trying to stay behind the bike.
A branch caught my shoulder, but the rest of me must have been protected by my bike I guess, unless it was just a lucky gap in the branches.
Either way, I slid with the bike another 100 yards or so, and stopped. My good friend Shawn was riding behind me when it happened. He shone his lights back up toward the road and pulled my bike off my leg. I stood up feeling dazed but lucky. There was a trail of branches all the way back to the tree that had been ripped off. It looked like a small plane had crashed there.

Last edited by iHak; 11-21-2012 at 03:32 AM.
iHak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
R-Silaxin
Track=Cocaine

Bike: 06 R-6 Deathraven
Re: Daines Laguna Seca Pro Estiva... incredible

Post pics...

Glad you're alright after the spill too!

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL https://www.youtube.com/user/adam2cox
MY FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...79&ref=tn_tnmn

MY XBL GAMERTAG: AmericanGingers
R-Silaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
iHak
Premium Member

Thanks bro.. I posted pics.. did you not see them?

In related story... anyone have for sale (please, used, good deals! )

on:

Left side fairings..

Left light

BOTH sides racing rear sets

Front fairing

Tail Fairing (the one that goes right under the passenger seat)

Rear cowl...

If anyone can help, I'll be so grateful. I'm at your mercy.. so tight on money right now, I have a feeling I wont be riding for a while
Old 11-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
Ryan5544
Suk it, Lee

Holy shit. Nice to see you're reasonably okay! That's quite the spill.

Did you have any sliders or anything on the bike?
Ryan5544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:21 AM   #5
Gundamzeppelin
Tons of juice. Crazyjuice

Bike: 13M1 Rep 05Aprila scooter

now the suit has character.
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson
One does not sell the earth upon which the people walk.
Crazy Horse
ROTM Dec 2011/Sep 2013

^petrol_spice^ RIP Mulciber, BallistiK,GhostR6
'Any crash you can walk away from is a good one."
launchpad McQuack
Gundamzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:44 AM   #6
iHak
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan5544 View Post
Holy shit. Nice to see you're reasonably okay! That's quite the spill.

Did you have any sliders or anything on the bike?
I did! Woodcraft (cut version) sliders.. they saved my bike.. I'd be WAY more screwed without them..

Oh and if any of you are trying to decide which sliders to get, consider this: Many sliders bend and screw your bike up even in lower speed crashes..

Check out how well these WoodCrafts worked.. 90mph+... absolutely no bending. All I need to do is buy a new woodcraft slider puck (unscrew the ground down one) and it's good to go again. Best investment ever, after the Dainese Suit!

Old 11-20-2012, 04:46 AM   #7
iHak
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamzeppelin View Post
now the suit has character.
Hahaha yeah, I just got that suit.. I'm not too worried about the wear. I'm amazed at how little damage is there, and yep.. like you said. Character! Battle scars! haha

No I need bike parts.

Who's parting out a 2008 - 2012?
Old 11-20-2012, 05:10 AM   #8
Gundamzeppelin
Tons of juice. Crazyjuice

Bike: 13M1 Rep 05Aprila scooter

post pictures of the damage
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson
One does not sell the earth upon which the people walk.
Crazy Horse
ROTM Dec 2011/Sep 2013

^petrol_spice^ RIP Mulciber, BallistiK,GhostR6
'Any crash you can walk away from is a good one."
launchpad McQuack
Gundamzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:11 AM   #9
babymilo36
Chinese Immigrant

Bike: Specialized Allez Elite

Damn......

CMRA #620
Wreck It Pandas #68

My 2008 R6 race build

babymilo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:47 AM   #10
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Jesus Christ shipping to Hawaii is FAST sometimes!! I can't believe I see the thick pucks on the suit already. Sorry to see this thread at all man. I hope you feel better soon bro. Count your blessings!!

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement