Commuter back pack & cold/rain gear HELP : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Safety Equipment

Old 11-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
coreski
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2012 yamaha r6
Commuter back pack & cold/rain gear HELP

I opt to daily my r6 more then I do my truck. That being said I live in south Florida which means a bright sunny day can randomly turn into a rainy one. Secondly I've been looking around for a back pack for commuting that would fit my rain gear in it as well as other things I would like to keep dry so it being water proof/resistant is a must. Lastly the weather down here is getting colder so was curious what is the best route to go for colder weather in the 40-55 degree range as far as gear goes.

What I'm looking for:
Rain gear
Water-resistant commuting back pack
Gear for a chilly ride

Figured this forum was my best bet as I'm sure there are some of you who have bought some of the items that fall into my category of needs and have either hated the item or loved it. Looking for that knowledge

Thanks in advance !

-Dan
coreski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
bryan j
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
Re: Commuter back pack & cold/rain gear HELP

i have a sierra high bag that has a water proof high vis shell that holds a lot of stuff, ill figure out which model it is in the morn.

layers bro. get some long johns or underarmour, then an insulating layer, then something to break the wind. what kind of jacket do you ride in now?

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
bryan j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #3
coreski
My R6 eats me.

I'll be waiting for that model number . The jacket I wear is the alpinestars T-gp plus air textile which was great for summer with it's ventilation but now with the 50 degree weather we've been having lately it's been getting chilly on the highway. Didn't know if I could layer and stick with this jacket or If i should go with a whole different jacket setup entirely. This is my first year still with the bike so I'm taking in all the experience and knowledge I can from you guys.

off topic, in the next few months I should be getting ready to prep the bike for the track
Old 11-20-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
bryan j
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j

what track?
for my first winter i made it with a textile jacket. i just wore a big camo jacket over it. one that was wind/water proof and it helps a lot

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
bryan j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:46 AM   #5
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

i would sell my ogio no drag backpack

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:50 AM   #6
06r6black
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 06 r6s

For rain gear I just use rain pants and jacket from Gander Mountain, so far I havent had a problem. I cant speak on backpacks but I bought theJoe Rocket Manta tank bag (should've opted for the Manta XL). It holds my rain gear fine but you wont fit much else in it and it comes with a waterproof cover which even in torrential downpour none of my stuff has gotten wet at all.
06r6black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:07 AM   #7
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

For the rain I have a revvit rain suit. Has holes for knee pucks and everything. You will sweat your ASS off in a rain suit tho. Just an FYI.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
Old 11-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
easbaysav
track fiend

Bike: 14 D675R, 09 R6
Not sure how cold it gets in FL, but I have me some Knox Cold Killers from when I was in Japan. I did use my Rev'itt under layer for my track suit, but when that wasn't enough for the Japan winters (mind you, it gets really cold up in the mountains with some snow too) I opted for the Knox gear. I have the sport pants, sport top, under gloves, and the hood. Doubt it gets that cold out in FL, but the Knox stuff is great and it holds up well against wind & rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
For the rain I have a revvit rain suit. Has holes for knee pucks and everything. You will sweat your ASS off in a rain suit tho. Just an FYI.
Looks like you doin' good in the rain Ant.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Motorcycle.com App
Old 11-20-2012, 08:09 AM   #9
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by easbaysav View Post
Not sure how cold it gets in FL, but I have me some Knox Cold Killers from when I was in Japan. I did use my Rev'itt under layer for my track suit, but when that wasn't enough for the Japan winters (mind you, it gets really cold up in the mountains with some snow too) I opted for the Knox gear. I have the sport pants, sport top, under gloves, and the hood. Doubt it gets that cold out in FL, but the Knox stuff is great and it holds up well against wind & rain.

Looks like you doin' good in the rain Ant.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Motorcycle.com App
Thanks Eddie!! I am pretty well known at NJMP for my rain riding. That's about it tho. If it ever rains for a race I'm in, I have a great chance!! Dry riding, top 10 at very best.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #10
coreski
My R6 eats me.

Thanks for the fast responses guys. The tracks ill be going to is palm beach international race way and homestead raceway. Chief i may take you up on that offer, going to check the bag out online. Also gonna check out the rain suit since id be able to use it on the track and the street so thats a plus. I think im going to head to cycle gear and try to find a textile with a warm liner as well as a rain liner. Having just one jacket for everyday use has made the jacket start to smell funky after so long lol. Chief what do you sell? I see your a vendor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement