Yoshi R-55 issue, may apply to other slip-ons too : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Exhaust and fuel delivery

Old 11-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
Chad68
My other bike is a Tacoma

Bike: Bitchin' Blue 2012 R6
Yoshi R-55 issue, may apply to other slip-ons too

So I was trying to install my Yoshi R-55 slip on. Slips on's should take about 10 minutes to install normally. Well after 2 hours of scratching my head, calling Yoshimura, I gave up.

Their slip on pipe comes with a reducer for the factory cat pipe. The reducer they sent with my kit was too small a diameter and would not slide over the cat pipe. The outside diameter of their reducer, was almost exactlly the same diameter as the cat pipe and just flat out impossible to fit.

The guy said, to send the reducer back to them and they will fix/resize it. I was like can't you just send me a new one of the correct size. Told me to send the reducer back to them or send the whole thing back to where I bought it. WTF, is sending me the correct size reducer to fix the problem going to bankrupt their company?

Fug that. What happens if the reducer gets lost in the mail. how many months am I gonna have to wait for them to resize the pipe. What if it's wrong again. I asked him if a muffler shop could just open it up a hair and he said well they may not do a good job. Hmmm like you guys made is so good yourself.

So has anybody come across a similar issue with a slip on? Did you have somebody resize it or what? I'm really leaning towards just getting my money back and going with a different brand all together. Never fails, all the mods that should be easy turn out to be a pain and the ones that should be a pain go easier than expected.

It sucks because it's a good looking exhaust.

Curious. If I used a cat delete pipe, does the cat delete pipe use a diameter larger than the stock cat pipe? I was thinking of getting one but wasn't sure if I wanted to or not.

Objects in mirror are V-twins.

Today's post was brought to you by the letter R and the number 6.

Silly rabbit, tricks are for squids.
Chad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
07R6s_rider
I eat my R6

Bike: 2007 R6S
Send it back and get another brand! They don't deserve your business.

Mods
Level One Racing Carbon Fiber Slip-on, BMC Street Filter, 520 Conversion (-1 +2) Driven Sprockets, EX MVXZ Gold/Black Chain, Driven Sprocket Nuts (Blue), SpeedoDRD, Puig Toe Guard, NEX Black Rearsets, Vortex Rear Brake Switch, Powder Coated Passanger Pegs (Black), Agg Racing Smog Plates, Vortex Spools (Blue), Vortex Oil Cap (Blue), Smoked Windscreen, Windscreen Spikes (Black), Pro Grip R6 Grips, Vortex Bar Ends (Black), DDM Tuning HID kit 6000k, Lockhat Phillips Carbon Fiber Frame Sliders With Blue End Bolts, Yamaha Seat Cowl, ASV F3 Shory Levers (Black With Blue Adjusters), ASV Rotator Clamp (Blue), PowerBronze Carbon Fiber Vented Hugger, PowerBronze Carbon Fiber Front Vented Fender, Evotech Axle Nut (Blue), Evotech Swingarm Nut (Blue), Driven Preload Adjusters (Blue), Drive Fuel Cap (Black/Blue), Ebay Fender Eliminator, MotoDynamic Integrated Tail Light (Clear), Lockheart Phillips Flush Mounts Smoked, Roaring Toyz Billet Mirrors (Black), Yoshimura Yoke Nut (Black), Pro Grip Wheel Tape (Blue), Skur Carbon Fiber Triple Tree and Gauge Cluster Pieces, Skur Carbon Fiber Spine Tank Pad, Euro Key's (Blue)
07R6s_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
Chad68

Re: Yoshi R-55 issue, may apply to other slip-ons too

The guy I was talking to on the phone was starting to irritate me, so I hung up on him.

So I just sent them an e-mail (below). We'll see what happens. I'm going to stop by my hot rod muffler shop and see if they can possibly fix it. I know they have the machines to stretch those things, they do it all the time and they're a family business that's been around since the early 60's.

.................................................. .................................................. .

I have a 2012 Yamaha YZF-R6. I bought the all stainless R-55 slip on kit for my bike. The kit has an adapter that reduces from the larger slip on diameter hole, down to the factory cat pipe diameter.

The end that slips into the slip on fits fine. The other end of that adapter, the inner diameter is about .030" smaller than the outide diameter of the factory cat pipe. It is impossible to get the system to work.

Since this is the only thing wrong with the whole kit, can you please send me a correct fitting part? I don't want to have to ship it all back to Dennis Kirk, get my money back and buy another brand of exhaust, unless I have to. I would just like the correct sized adapter, so I can install the pipe because I really like it and want to use it.

The part number on the box and the instructions match and they are 1362285.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #4
Darthteddy
Box of Lube

Bike: 2007 R6

Just take it to a muffler shop and have them expand it. Will take them about 1 second on the machine.

Build Thread
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showt...=1#post2895049
Darthteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:43 AM   #5
Thecca
Laugh now, cry later

Bike: 03 R6, 04 Z1000

I'd get refunded from where you bought it and get another one. Don't waste your time with morons like that.

Old bike : YZF-R6
MJS shorty slip-on, K&N filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj-Agwa View Post
why when i put the straight pipe on a i rev it to like 5 or greater RPM the bike turns off??
Dafuq?
Thecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
Chad68

The muffler shop thing didn't work, long story.

They said if I took and send them a pic of what is wrong, even though I told them, they would send me a new part. Guess they don't believe me. Went to take a couple of pics of what the digital micrometer shows in regards to each pipe diameter. Camera is apparently fried now, so no can take pics.

It's not worth pursuing anymore. Bummer part is some other poor sap will end up with that same kit. Oh well maybe his camera works.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
Chad68

Here is a copy of the e-mail I sent them when they told me to take pics of their mistake..........................

My Digital camera is fried now! I was going to take two pics. One pic with the digital caliper showing the outside diameter of the factory cat pipe at ~1.780" and a pic of the micrometer showing the inside diameter of the adapter at ~1.725"

That camera most likely wouldn't have picked up the numbers on the micrometer anyway because it is a very old 3 mega pixel camera. So I will return the R-55 exhaust and buy a different brand. Funny thing is, you will have the same problem again when the next person buys the one I return. Hopefully their camera will work.

I have already started a thread on this whole ordeal. Maybe I should send you the link to the thread, since you don't believe anything anybody tells you! I will be 44 years old next week and I have better things to do than lie about a Damn $2 metal pipe part being made wrong. Even if the camera worked and showed the numbers on the micrometer, since you think I'm making this up and you just can't believe you screwed up a part, you would claim I did this or that to make it look like it was the wrong size.

I can take a pic of it with my cell phone but I'm not giving out my cell number by texting the pics to anybody.

The more I type, the more pissed off I get, so forget it!!

Interesting customer service, especially considering how bad the economy is. Good way to loose business. Yes this e-mail will be posted in the thread too.

Chad

Old 11-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
Darthteddy
Box of Lube

Bike: 2007 R6

I know its to late but I always take photos with my phone and email them to my personal address.

Sucks to be having such problems. Stock exhaust ftw!

Build Thread
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showt...=1#post2895049
Darthteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #9
Chad68

Damn it. I'm gonna have to find a place and re-order this exhaust I think, even as much as they ticked me off, as it's the only exhaust I like the looks of. Maybe I can bend over and order it through my Yamaha dealer.

This ricer slip on megaphone I ordered that will be here today ain't gonna cut it and I havent even seen it in person yet. DK was enough to wave the retocking fee which was cool, even though it was just past 90 days.

There is a G&G megaphone that is similar to the Harris Megaphone but looks like it has much better welds. They are both insainly priced for a glorified muffler tip though. Most of the exhausts I have seen make me want to puke.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #10
Krutoydiesel
she drops it low

Bike: SOLD-2011 Yamaha R6 Raven

pick up my hotbodies megaphone for 60$ shipped.....

its cheap and will do for now until you get a better slip on

actually thats the reason im selling it, cause i picked up 05 headers and a devil rocket CF slip on
Modified 05 Headers
Modified Devil Rocket CF slip on
Block off plates-AggRacing
6k HIDs-AggRacing
Bauce Flashed ECU-Bauce Racing
BMC Race Filter-Bauce Racing
Reservoir Socks-Slowboy
CF Triple tree cover-SKUR

Future-
Shermans levers...
Krutoydiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links