HELP! 06 R6 Dies on cold start and wont idle - Page 5 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 11-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #41
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes
Re: HELP! 06 R6 Dies on cold start and wont idle

you can check the temp sensor pretty easily.. just put the gauge into diagnostic mode, look in the manual for which "DO:_" is the air temp, and compare the current outside temp to the reading. then, use a hair dryer or heat gun pointed into the ram air intake area. the temp should go up accordingly in the readout. that's it. Even if it was broken, the bike should still run "Ok" but not great. i have broken them before.

and as some eluded to recently, a mapping issue will for SURE cause problems.

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #42
Pipelinz
Tracers work both ways

Bike: 04 R6 (Sold) 06 R6R

Thanks for the info about the temp sensor, sounds pretty simple and I am going to run that as soon as I get home frmo work.

You think it could be a potential mapping issue? How would I check that? Sorry, this is my first time really troubleshooting and getting into the weeds of the bike a bit and just wanted to be crystal on the mapping part. Thanks.

“Out of every one hundred men in battle, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” ― Heraclitus
Pipelinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #43
Pipelinz
Tracers work both ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSGF View Post
I believe I had this same problem on my 2006 R6. This video shows my exact problem:

(1:55)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKmm55ya6q8

For him, his bike was stock and he fixed it by getting the valves adjusted.

For me, I changed the plugs and it seemed to help a tiny bit, and then I remapped the power commander from a custom european map the guy before me did to a full akrapovic map (I have a full termignoni system). This fixed the problem 100%, and it has never happened again in the past 2000 miles.

Hope this helps!
Okay, so that video is pretty much exactly the issue I am having; however, at times, I cant even keep it running with throttle. My bike is stock as well, so I have no PCIII, so I guess mapping is not an option.

Do you know the guy in this video? I am just curious what sort of troubleshooting he did, or did he just take it to the shop.

As for yours, did you have the same symptoms as this video? I am not too familiar with mapping and such and I guess I need to do some searching for this and figure it out. Thanks very much, I was going to do a video to post so guys could see my issue, but that video covers it for sure.

“Out of every one hundred men in battle, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” ― Heraclitus
Old 11-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #44
NSGF
Over my dead body.

Bike: 06 Raven R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipelinz View Post
Okay, so that video is pretty much exactly the issue I am having; however, at times, I cant even keep it running with throttle. My bike is stock as well, so I have no PCIII, so I guess mapping is not an option.

Do you know the guy in this video? I am just curious what sort of troubleshooting he did, or did he just take it to the shop.

As for yours, did you have the same symptoms as this video? I am not too familiar with mapping and such and I guess I need to do some searching for this and figure it out. Thanks very much, I was going to do a video to post so guys could see my issue, but that video covers it for sure.
Yes, my bike had the exact same problem as the video. Here's the video where he talks about what the problem was and what he did to fix it. At 3:10 he mentions what the guys at the shop told him about the flooding, I think this was why changing the map on mine worked. My map was flooding it with too much gas, changed the map to run less rich and problem solved. I don't really know what to tell you since you said your valves are fine though..

Good luck! I spent weeks researching this and it was a major pain but a huge relief when the bike ran better than ever after it was fixed.
NSGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #45
Pipelinz
Tracers work both ways

Okay total rookie question now, can you map a stock system? Or was yours more specific because you had a pc? I'm just confused that the exact same issue sounds like it was resolved two different ways, is this normal, or kind of an anomaly to fix the same issue two ways? Or are saying you think i need to do my valves and map? I am thinking i may just get my valves checked anyway, I can strip the bike down and trailer it to the shop to save a bit on labour.

Thank you very much for your help, sure nice that guys have resolved this exact issue in the past.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #46
Pipelinz
Tracers work both ways

Temp sensor was good, checked it with the blow dryer in diag mode. Worked great. So next will be the ECU swap to check, then if still no joy, it's off to the shop.

Just wanted to say thank you very much to everyone who has taken a bit of time to help me out on this issue. The advice has been great and very much appreciated and really boosted my confidence.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:15 AM   #47
NSGF
Over my dead body.

Bike: 06 Raven R6

Quote:
Yes, my bike had the exact same problem as the video. Here's the video where he talks about what the problem was and what he did to fix it. At 3:10 he mentions what the guys at the shop told him about the flooding, I think this was why changing the map on mine worked. My map was flooding it with too much gas, changed the map to run less rich and problem solved. I don't really know what to tell you since you said your valves are fine though..

Good luck! I spent weeks researching this and it was a major pain but a huge relief when the bike ran better than ever after it was fixed.
So sorry-forgot the video link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WADL2WPtiB8

3:10

Not too familiar with mapping a stock system, but I doubt that's the answer. Hope all goes well

Last edited by NSGF; 11-21-2012 at 01:09 AM.
NSGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:35 AM   #48
mknuchell
live to ride

Bike: 07 R6 charcoal
Send a message via Skype™ to mknuchell
Finally a thread with people making progress on this issue! I feel like this is a common problem with the 06-07 model. I have been experiencing this for just over a year and no fix. I have yet to do a valve adjustment so I guess that's next on the list. I just always heard if its a valve issue it gets worse as it warms up and like you mentioned, once the bike is warm the issue goes away. Let me know if yours is fixed after the valve adjustment!
mknuchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #49
Ryan5544
Suk it, Lee

Quote:
So sorry-forgot the video link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WADL2WPtiB8

3:10

Not too familiar with mapping a stock system, but I doubt that's the answer. Hope all goes well
''Oh my god, listen to it!''
Ryan5544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #50
Ryan5544
Suk it, Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipelinz View Post
Intake: 0.11mm ~ 0.20mm (0.0043in ~ 0.0079in)
Exhaust: 0.21mm ~ 0.30mm (0.0083in ~ 0.0118in)
Was just looking at this again.. Did you look in the book for the clearances?

If those are for sure your measured clearance, some of them are ''out of spec''. Hardly at all, but.. You know.. Just something to think aboot. Weather or not that tiny fcuking bit matters, I don't know! Hoping someone else would like to chime in on that.

Or am I trippin'??

From the manual:

Last edited by Ryan5544; 11-21-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Ryan5544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement