HELP! 06 R6 Dies on cold start and wont idle - Page 6 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 11-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #51
Pipelinz
Tracers work both ways

Bike: 04 R6 (Sold) 06 R6R
Re: HELP! 06 R6 Dies on cold start and wont idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan5544 View Post
Was just looking at this again.. Did you look in the book for the clearances?

If those are for sure your measured clearance, some of them are ''out of spec''. Hardly at all, but.. You know.. Just something to think aboot. Weather or not that tiny fcuking bit matters, I don't know! Hoping someone else would like to chime in on that.

Or am I trippin'??

From the manual:

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Yeah they were a C-Hair out of tolerance (by my measurements) and I re-measured last night while I had the bike apart again, so I am booked to get them checked anyway. Bike is on the trailer in my garage ready to go to the shop this weekend. I just kept it ripped apart so I hope I can save on some shop-labour prices. It was my first time checking the valves as well, so I may have missed something.

Watching the video that posted previously, it is EXACTLY my issue I am having, so I am going to bite the bullet, drop the cash and have a certified mech look at it. The shop gives me a good rate and military discount, so for the cash, I will have piece of mind.

I am doing an ECU swap tonight with my buddy, just to rule that out as well. I'll post after the ECU swap tonight and let you guys know what's up. If that doesnt solve it, I think the only thing left is the valves.

Oh yeah, nice hit on the "aboot" as well, made me laugh.

“Out of every one hundred men in battle, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” ― Heraclitus

Last edited by Pipelinz; 11-21-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Pipelinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #52
Pipelinz
Tracers work both ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknuchell View Post
Finally a thread with people making progress on this issue! I feel like this is a common problem with the 06-07 model. I have been experiencing this for just over a year and no fix. I have yet to do a valve adjustment so I guess that's next on the list. I just always heard if its a valve issue it gets worse as it warms up and like you mentioned, once the bike is warm the issue goes away. Let me know if yours is fixed after the valve adjustment!
I'll let you know for sure.

“Out of every one hundred men in battle, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” ― Heraclitus
Old 11-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #53
Ryan5544
Suk it, Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipelinz View Post
Thanks man, I appreciate it. Yeah they were a C-Hair out of tolerance (by my measurements) and I re-measured last night while I had the bike apart again, so I am booked to get them checked anyway. Bike is on the trailer in my garage ready to go to the shop this weekend. I just kept it ripped apart so I hope I can save on some shop-labour prices. It was my first time checking the valves as well, so I may have missed something.

Watching the video that posted previously, it is EXACTLY my issue I am having, so I am going to bite the bullet, drop the cash and have a certified mech look at it. The shop gives me a good rate and military discount, so for the cash, I will have piece of mind.

I am doing an ECU swap tonight with my buddy, just to rule that out as well. I'll post after the ECU swap tonight and let you guys know what's up. If that doesnt solve it, I think the only thing left is the valves.

Oh yeah, nice hit on the "aboot" as well, made me laugh.

Well, hey, if piece of mind is worth more then the cost of having it done, nothing wrong with that. Really hope they cut you some slack, because it's taken apart already. They should anyway.

I'm just not convinced the problem ISN'T the valves. Mileage doesn't mean a lot, apparently. I have less K on my bike then yours, and mine were all sorts of fcuked up.

I like to slip a aboot in wherever I can. Also a Canadian.
Ryan5544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #54
Pipelinz
Tracers work both ways

Quote:
Well, hey, if piece of mind is worth more then the cost of having it done, nothing wrong with that. Really hope they cut you some slack, because it's taken apart already. They should anyway.

I'm just not convinced the problem ISN'T the valves. Mileage doesn't mean a lot, apparently. I have less K on my bike then yours, and mine were all sorts of fcuked up.

I like to slip a aboot in wherever I can. Also a Canadian.
Yeah the mech said that a big chunk of the time is just getting at the valves, so I should be good. The cool thing is that he is good with me hanging there to watch him adjust the valves, so I can learn how to do it, so I'm pretty stoked about that.

The ECU is just another troubleshooting bit I want to try. I have the opportunity with my buddy, so I figured I might as well eliminate that as a cause as well.

These bikes seem hit and miss with the valves for the amount of km on them. I have heard some guys who have +30K MILES on the bike and have no issues with valves, wheras others have issues at 12k Miles. In the end, I have pretty much exhausted my mechanical talents (or lack of talent) and am happy to turn it over to the mechanic. At least I tried and did what I could for troubleshooting. After I watch him do the valves, I'm sure I'll be confident to do them myslef next time.

Is it snowy where you are? Solid rain in sheets here in Victoria for the last couple weeks.

Last edited by Pipelinz; 11-21-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #55
QR6
PHX-602

Bike: 2007 R6

Edit* different problem...
ASMA #26 early retirement
My build thread:
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162286
http://instagram.com/gfk602

Last edited by QR6; 11-21-2012 at 04:46 PM.
QR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #56
Ryan5544
Suk it, Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipelinz View Post
Yeah the mech said that a big chunk of the time is just getting at the valves, so I should be good. The cool thing is that he is good with me hanging there to watch him adjust the valves, so I can learn how to do it, so I'm pretty stoked about that.

The ECU is just another troubleshooting bit I want to try. I have the opportunity with my buddy, so I figured I might as well eliminate that as a cause as well.

These bikes seem hit and miss with the valves for the amount of km on them. I have heard some guys who have +30K MILES on the bike and have no issues with valves, wheras others have issues at 12k Miles. In the end, I have pretty much exhausted my mechanical talents (or lack of talent) and am happy to turn it over to the mechanic. At least I tried and did what I could for troubleshooting. After I watch him do the valves, I'm sure I'll be confident to do them myslef next time.

Is it snowy where you are? Solid rain in sheets here in Victoria for the last couple weeks.
Have a friend over there that said they were getting rained on pretty bad.

I'm in SK. Snowed like crazy yep. Actually rained all damn day today, and is going to be cold as tits tonight....... Stoked to go skating on the streets.. :/

Old 11-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #57
Pipelinz
Tracers work both ways

Quote:
Have a friend over there that said they were getting rained on pretty bad.

I'm in SK. Snowed like crazy yep. Actually rained all damn day today, and is going to be cold as tits tonight....... Stoked to go skating on the streets.. :/

Yeah raining like a bastard out here. Sounds like your entire city is going to be a skating rink! Time for some snowmobiling for you.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #58
Ryan5544
Suk it, Lee

Shit dude. It's a mess out today after that rain.

Is it at least a decent temp. out there? Minus the rain..
Old 11-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #59
Pipelinz
Tracers work both ways

Okay, so it's not the ECU. Swapped it out with my buddies and it was all good. I put my ECU in his and no issues, he put his ECU in my bike and the same issue was there. When I called the mechanic today that I spoke to before he said he thought I had a PC III on the bike (not sure if he was back-pedaling or what), but anyway, he isnt the guy that will be working on my bike. Anyway, they think its the valves now and that I just haven't noticed anything after it warms up.

It is going to the shop on Saturday for a valve alignment (I hope this is the issue and that I had some rectal-cranial inversion when I checked the tolerance). If this doesn't fix it, I will be at a loss, becasue I have pretty much chased down everything else at this point. Will post again when I get the bike back, unless anyone has anymore suggestions before it goes in.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #60
Ryan5544
Suk it, Lee

Fcuk, I don't know.

Just thinking out loud... Make 100 percent sure your exhaust is connected and bolted down fully everywhere? O2 bung?

Might as well leave no stone unturned, before it goes in.. The injectors.. Who knows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement