» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > Off Topic Talk

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #31
Mario J
I can ban you

Bike: 2013 GRB STi
Send a message via AIM to Mario J
Re: Why Are R6s Getting Slower Each Year?

This thread delivers

I <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #32
sergioandres
Love my bike

Bike: 08 R6 & 07 R6
It was a good tread already and now is getting even better

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Old 11-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #33
bluerebel
Sometimes..........

Bike: 2012 R6
O. M. G.

We have an educated member!! B

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

Old 11-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #34
2004R6Rider
Ride Blue

Couple of things OP:

-First off, judging the performance of your motorcycle based on top speed is like judging the quality of scotch whiskey based on how pretty the label on the bottle is.

-Second, things change from year to year. Maybe Yamaha updated the speedometers (they're off by quite a lot). Either way, they still won't be accurate; get a SpeedoHealer. Gearing will also affect your top speed. Are you sure your bike has OEM sprockets? Or maybe there were some gearing updates over the years (I'll be honest.. I have no idea on that).

-And third of all, the conditions will affect your top speed. Your bike has more horsepower when the air is cold and dense. Your bike has a higher top speed with a tail wind. Your bike will have a higher top speed with a smaller rider who creates less drag. Etc. etc. etc.

In the end, do those 4-5 mph really matter? It's all about the corners!
Old 11-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #35
Ryan5544
Suk it, Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004R6Rider View Post
Couple of things OP:

-First off, judging the performance of your motorcycle based on top speed is like judging the quality of scotch whiskey based on how pretty the label on the bottle is.

-Second, things change from year to year. Maybe Yamaha updated the speedometers (they're off by quite a lot). Either way, they still won't be accurate; get a SpeedoHealer. Gearing will also affect your top speed. Are you sure your bike has OEM sprockets? Or maybe there were some gearing updates over the years (I'll be honest.. I have no idea on that).

-And third of all, the conditions will affect your top speed. Your bike has more horsepower when the air is cold and dense. Your bike has a higher top speed with a tail wind. Your bike will have a higher top speed with a smaller rider who creates less drag. Etc. etc. etc.

In the end, do those 4-5 mph really matter? It's all about the corners!
That and..... He's judging what someone else's bike does........................ From a video, in his computer chair, or sitting on the shitter.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #36
Straight Success
I eat my R6

Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004R6Rider View Post
Couple of things OP:...

...In the end, do those 4-5 mph really matter? It's all about the corners!
It's relative. Here in Philly, no. At Lightning and Thunderbolt, probably not. Running the standing or quarter mile, possibly. At The Ilse of Man TT, a very good chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan5544 View Post
That and..... He's judging what someone else's bike does........................ From a video, in his computer chair, or sitting on the shitter.
This is true. It's called research, and things that I noticed, I followed up with a question for understanding.

Why buy a Busa when you can have the best of both worlds with the correct know how and money on a R6?

I love my R6, but I'm ashamed... I need an '08 R1!

Last edited by Straight Success; 11-21-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #37
danaatscootdotnet
www.1seven1.com

Even the factory WSS R6s running 150+ hp that got maybe 500 miles from an engine would just barely nudge 180 mph in the trap at Miller. Stockers just aren't that fast, even with every bolt-on engine mod. I've had a bunch of r6s from '06-'10 and they'll all do 155-160 with all the Graves goodies.

The newer bikes have a fatter midrange and better power delivery, and maybe a pony or two more up top. Not a huge difference ... all fantastic bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Old 11-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #38
2004R6Rider
Ride Blue

When you reach the point of your riding career where the top speed of your bike is holding back your TT lap time, you'll have other things to worry about. There are very few tracks where you will top out your 600, and a 1/4 mile drag strip is not one of them.

The point is, the top speed is the single least important performance measure of a sportbike. Most riders realize that they'll never have a need to get there (even on the track) and will usually bump up to a larger rear sprocket to give the bike a little more punch. Now THAT will quicken your lap time AND your 1/4 mile.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #39
Straight Success
I eat my R6

Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success

Thanks for that input. As an automotive design engineer, I understand the concepts of racing. Motorcycles included. Keep weight light as safely possible, torque is the key upon corner exit (makes sure it's planted to the ground properly), tires and suspension is huge part of the equation.

I love my R6, but I'm ashamed... I need an '08 R1!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #40
2004R6Rider
Ride Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Success View Post
Thanks for that input. As an automotive design engineer, I understand the concepts of racing. Motorcycles included. Keep weight light as safely possible, torque is the key upon corner exit (makes sure it's planted to the ground properly), tires and suspension is huge part of the equation.
Actually, geometry is also highly important. Many of the changes that have happened over the years have been geometry changes; e.g. riding position, rake and trail, optimizing center of gravity, tank width and peg placement, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread