Stator issues / bike died : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 11-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
Babalooza
My R6 eats me.

Stator issues / bike died

Quick question.

quick question then details-->
Is my new stator bad? Fluctuating .3-.8 on one lead but mostly at .6 testing on stator plug. The other two are mostly around .3.

I have searched but am looking for clarity.

Been having issues with bike running as my previous threads have explained.

Last time bike died I stored it, however, a couple weeks later without charging the bike at all it started right up. Couple weeks later without charging it died. Charging it since then and it starts right up just haven't driven it.

Working on it tonight rechecked the solder on the wires and retested the stator plug. Turns out the stator plug was not connected. I do not know if this came apart while riding or has been apart since stator was replaced.

Question:

Stator tests at around .3 for all connectors. One lead fluctuates between .3-.8 but is around .6

Stator bad?

Could it just be that the plug wasn't connected and that one of the solders was shit?

Any other way to test stator.

PS. Stator, battery and R/R are all new. New connectors, solder is proper and correct.
Babalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes
Re: Stator issues / bike died

do you get 14 volts at the battery terminals when you hold the engine rpm at 5,000 ?

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:20 AM   #3
Babalooza
My R6 eats me.

I do not.
At 5 k it was 12.45
When I took the bike off the charger and tested battery before starting it was 13
Old 11-22-2012, 07:48 AM   #4
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babalooza View Post
I do not.
At 5 k it was 12.45
When I took the bike off the charger and tested battery before starting it was 13
you say it's new.. but that stator is likely toast.. off charge yes, 13ish is fine. But then you used cranking amps to start the bike, but they are not being put back. the bike may run, but not well.. and maybe not for long before it dies. Especially if you have lights on.
new as in BRAND new? or new-to-u, used off ebay? i have had good luck with oem used stators from ebay, but you never know. A new one of poor quality would be a worse choice than a used oem one in my opinion.

even when i get stators that show 13.5-13.7vt at 5k, my bike wouldn't finish a race. You are using battery power to run the bike as the charging system but it eventually dies, as it isn't putting enough back to the battery AND to run injectors, spark, lights, etc. Even with no lights, a slightly bad stator will cause a bike to start sputtering and misfiring mid race/ride.
you MUST have 14vt at the battery terminals when holding 5k rpm. not 13.5, not 13.8, certainly not 12.45.. lol.
This is a good test to begin with, and it will also show if the regulator is bad.. if you are getting considerably over 14vt, the regulator is bad. (but the stator is just fine..)

the other thing to consider is the flywheel. I had one that lost magnetic whatever.. There is a test you can do for that. I don't know off the top of my head how to do that, but my mechanic found that to be the problem on one of my bikes that had a fair number of hours on it. even after replacing the stator, it wouldn't charge/run right.

My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee

Last edited by MELK-MAN; 11-22-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
Babalooza
My R6 eats me.

Thanks for the huge reply and help!

I do not remember if I got it off E-Bay or not, however, I am pretty confident it was a new piece. I am going to run some tests and see if I can find the box it came in.

happy to know its not the regulator. I am going to try and find some tests for the flywheel.

I am going to run some more tests on it now and see what happens. I may even take it for a short ride and see how it acts. Chances are I will be ordering a new stator very this weekend just in case.

Thanks a lot!

EDIT - I got the stator off amazon from caltric and it looked brand new

Last edited by Babalooza; 11-22-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: found where I bought stator from
Old 11-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

i don't know what caltric is.. but i woulda spent $80 or so for a used oem stator.
you say you did the test on the stator plug ? you unplug the stator and should see .12 to .18 ohms with all THREE tests. you use the multi meter on plug 1to2, 1to3, 2to3 for an 06 or later 3rd gen r6.

you still haven't said what year/model your bike is. . but the main problem, whatever is causing it, is the fact you don't have even close to 14vt at 5000rpm at the battery terminals.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
Babalooza
My R6 eats me.

My bad, it is a 2002 r6

We tested the plug and two leads were accurate and the third was not in the range. However, I do not know if the temperature being colder than 20 c would matter.

Its a Yuasa battery about 1-2 months old.

The stator is from Amazon, caltric is the company.

The r/r is ricks.

I may bring the battery to the shop I got it from. Last battery I did the tests, off, lights, 5k rev and I remember them being in the correct range. Revved up and everything. The guy at the shop tested the battery and said it had a bad cell. Now this one doesn't seem to act appropriately so I am curious if this one is bad.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babalooza View Post
My bad, it is a 2002 r6

We tested the plug and two leads were accurate and the third was not in the range. However, I do not know if the temperature being colder than 20 c would matter.

Its a Yuasa battery about 1-2 months old.

The stator is from Amazon, caltric is the company.

The r/r is ricks.

I may bring the battery to the shop I got it from. Last battery I did the tests, off, lights, 5k rev and I remember them being in the correct range. Revved up and everything. The guy at the shop tested the battery and said it had a bad cell. Now this one doesn't seem to act appropriately so I am curious if this one is bad.
i can't imagine temp will affect the ohm readings of the 3 prong stator plug, but the manual does state those specs at 68f i think..

yes, a bad battery will cause issues. but that should be a GOOD battery, i wouldn't think that is the issue. i think that stator is junk, or you have connection issues that you eluded to earlier. why were the connections bad??

you need to look in your manual for the output voltage readings. maybe it isn't 14vt, but i'm pretty sure that is standard with yamaha. Even the r1 is supposed to read 14vt at the battery at 5,000 rpm

Old 11-22-2012, 09:00 AM   #9
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

also, did you wipe out the inside of the flywheel? the pickup can have a bad signal from metal that collects in there over long periods of time. We are talking a super fine black film that collects on the inside surface.. next time you have the stator off, look at inside surface and wipe with a white rag.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
Babalooza
My R6 eats me.

My r/r connectors were fried along with the plug. I replaced the r/r and added new wire, soldered wire together and put female spade connectors in place of the plug that goes into the r/r.

One of the solder jobs on a white wire was shit so we re-did that. We tested the wires and they are fine.

Then we tested the stator. Found out the plug was not connected at all. I don't know if we didn't put the plug back together when we changed the stator the first time or if it came loose and undone while riding.

background...

When my bike first had these issues my brother and I replaced the stator. I am pretty confident we had everything clean awhen we put it back together but it is worth taking another look.

After it still kept dieing. I saw the r/r was fried big time. Replaced the r/r, the wires and connectors.

Died again.

Tested battery and put the new one in. Was told it was the best they had so I went with that brand.

Died again.

However, I drove for over 100 miles that ride must have been for at least 90-120 mins ride time, turning on and off a few times. Went home. Started again like 3 hours later zero problems. Drove to gas station and filled the bike up and then it would not restart. No signs nothing just wouldn't start. Towed it home and put it in the garage. A couple weeks later just to see if it started I cranked her - no battery tender was on the bike during this period. It started right up and I rode it around the block.

I haven't driven it anywhere since the last time it failed, because, the problem is still present.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement