How much experience before I hit the track? : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 11-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
Glock21sf_Saiga12
I hate bike thieves

Bike: Sexy Silver 08 R6(stolen)
How much experience before I hit the track?

So I'm not a very experienced rider. Maybe 3K mi. But I feel like I'm not getting much better riding on the street. Or having much fun. I'm constantly watching out for cars, especially after my first close call a couple of weeks ago. I'm constantly looking out for oil, debris, etc on the roads. Plus, the roads around where I live suck. And, of course, I can't go fast. Seems like it's more work trying to stay alive than fun. How long before you hit the track? Any tips on getting started? What's a good track to start out on in the Houston area? How many of you started riding on the track then quit riding on the street?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
-Thomas Jefferson
Glock21sf_Saiga12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
Eric10301
I eat my R6

Bike: 08 R6 Track Bike
Re: How much experience before I hit the track?

Honestly you should be fine doing some track riding. You don't need to be an expert and since you'll be in the beginner group you'll more than likely be surrounded by people doing their very first track day. Just make sure you do a track day before going all out. It gets expensive very quickly once you catch the track bug.
Eric10301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
mgossel
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock21sf_Saiga12 View Post
So I'm not a very experienced rider. Maybe 3K mi. But I feel like I'm not getting much better riding on the street. Or having much fun. I'm constantly watching out for cars, especially after my first close call a couple of weeks ago. I'm constantly looking out for oil, debris, etc on the roads. Plus, the roads around where I live suck. And, of course, I can't go fast. Seems like it's more work trying to stay alive than fun. How long before you hit the track? Any tips on getting started? What's a good track to start out on in the Houston area? How many of you started riding on the track then quit riding on the street?
I was the same way man... I was tired of looking at all the bad on the streets, instead of enjoying the bike. I hooked up with a guy that did track days from a local forum and never turned back.

It was intimidating at first, just sign up for the Novice session and hopefully they will have a classroom session for you. Don't be afraid to ask questions...everybody has the same passion as you and will be more than willing to assist you in anyway they can.

This is me in the bolded...best decision I ever made. I tried riding on the street after a track day and was riding like a complete puss. Decided I would take an extended vacation from riding on the street.

Edit: It will get expensive, but it's worth every penny
mgossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
mgossel
Lifetime Premium

Find out when one of the guys from this forum are going. Go to the local section and post up. I believe Sherman (Babymilo) on here is from that area and is a frequent track day rider. If anything, take a drive out to the next event and get an idea of the environment.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
Glock21sf_Saiga12
I hate bike thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgossel View Post
Find out when one of the guys from this forum are going. Go to the local section and post up. I believe Sherman (Babymilo) on here is from that area and is a frequent track day rider. If anything, take a drive out to the next event and get an idea of the environment.
Thats a good idea.. Ill have to check it out soon
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
-Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
Eric10301
I eat my R6

Bike: 08 R6 Track Bike

Yeah you should be able to find a member on here who does track days in your area. Try and find an organization who does a free school along with the day. One of my track organizations does a free all day instruction class that meets after each session. Some may charge an extra fee though.
Eric10301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
mgossel
Lifetime Premium

Don't purchase new gear...ie suit, gloves, and boots. Watch in the for sale section here and you will probably find everything you need. What size suit do you were?
Old 11-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
Glock21sf_Saiga12
I hate bike thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgossel View Post
Don't purchase new gear...ie suit, gloves, and boots. Watch in the for sale section here and you will probably find everything you need. What size suit do you were?
Not sure on the suit size.. I have an Astars jacket (textile) in M and Astars Pants (textile) in EUR 52. But Astars sizing is not great. I dont have leathers cause its so here but definantly would for the track.. Already getting expensive
-Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
mgossel
Lifetime Premium

Well, I will be posting a Shift suit (42/52) I bought from a member (redisdeadrideblue) on here for cheap to get me started and Alpinestars SMX-R (45) boots soon.

Do your homework and if your interested...hit me up.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
image0r
I eat my R6

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R1
A few Track organizations in houston

Ridesmart
Fastline

Both have I believe 1/2 off your first trackday. You even get to rent a free pair if leathers with ride smart.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
image0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement