How much experience before I hit the track? - Page 2 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 11-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
image0r
I eat my R6

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R1
As far as tracks go,
MSRH or TWS

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
image0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #12
Glock21sf_Saiga12
I hate bike thieves

Bike: Sexy Silver 08 R6(stolen)
Re: How much experience before I hit the track?

Quote:
Originally Posted by image0r View Post
As far as tracks go,
MSRH or TWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by image0r View Post
A few Track organizations in houston

Ridesmart
Fastline

Both have I believe 1/2 off your first trackday. You even get to rent a free pair if leathers with ride smart.

Thanks man. I remember hearing about Ridesmart from somewhere. I'll have to check those tracks out too
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
-Thomas Jefferson
Glock21sf_Saiga12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #13
image0r
I eat my R6

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R1

Some local forums to get on for more information

www.wforiders.com
www.motohouston.com

Start off in novice, they will give you plenty of classroom time.
image0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #14
S3aturnR
track junkie

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock21sf_Saiga12 View Post
So I'm not a very experienced rider. Maybe 3K mi. But I feel like I'm not getting much better riding on the street. Or having much fun. I'm constantly watching out for cars, especially after my first close call a couple of weeks ago. I'm constantly looking out for oil, debris, etc on the roads. Plus, the roads around where I live suck. And, of course, I can't go fast. Seems like it's more work trying to stay alive than fun. How long before you hit the track? Any tips on getting started? What's a good track to start out on in the Houston area? How many of you started riding on the track then quit riding on the street?
once you can safely work the controls and make the bike move under its own power, you're ready for the track. best to get out there early, before you start any bad habits...

s3aturnr
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #15
05 R6 Rob
I gotta ride!

Bike: 05 R6 Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3aturnR View Post
once you can safely work the controls and make the bike move under its own power, you're ready for the track. best to get out there early, before you start any bad habits...

s3aturnr
Agreed!
Don't sweat going to the track. Most of the instructors know what they're doing and I know with the group I ride with (trackxperience), the more you ask questions and show interest, the more they help you.
I ride my bike once or twice a year 15miles to work now that I started doing track days. Once you feel what that little 6 can do when you ring her neck...you just won't be able to get the same feeling on the street. It's a lot like sex.. once you do it the first time, you'll just keep wanting more!
gytr shorty
power comander
sliders
speedo healer
graves block off plates
woodcraft case cover

had led's, flush mounts, fender elimator, and yosh trs but stripped for the track now!
05 R6 Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #16
Pipelinz
Tracers work both ways

Bike: 04 R6 (Sold) 06 R6R

This post is just what i was looking for. I'm in the same position as clock; however, have been riding for 4 years now so I'm sure bad habits have formed. It's quite intimidating thinking about track time, but think i will try it next year when the weather gets better.

I'll check into local stuff around here, but i think Vancouver has nothing, but I'm sure Seattle area might have something. Is track glass required? Or is that more for advanced? Thanks for starting this thread clock and all your responses.

“Out of every one hundred men in battle, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” ― Heraclitus
Pipelinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:40 PM   #17
Eric10301
I eat my R6

Bike: 08 R6 Track Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipelinz View Post
This post is just what i was looking for. I'm in the same position as clock; however, have been riding for 4 years now so I'm sure bad habits have formed. It's quite intimidating thinking about track time, but think i will try it next year when the weather gets better.

I'll check into local stuff around here, but i think Vancouver has nothing, but I'm sure Seattle area might have something. Is track glass required? Or is that more for advanced? Thanks for starting this thread clock and all your responses.
The only thing you'll need to do to the bike is tape up any lights. Anything else you see people doing is because they have a track only bike.
Eric10301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:50 PM   #18
manny
I eat my R6

WHat everyone else has said plus, remember to enjoy yourself. First time on a track can be very intimidating. Remember to relax, breath, and enjoy your time out there. Also remember that it's your first time out and going for the track record is not your goal. Work on being smooth with the bike and getting your lines down.
I would suggest you look for a track day org that offers a new riders school. You see allot of socal guys talking about TrackXperience and its because they offer the new riders school for free. Not superbike school kind of material but def enough to get you comfy. Try to find a group in Texas that offers this service. Also don't be afraid to call ahead and talk with the TD org.
Welcome to the addiction. Its an absolute blast, and I wish you the best in your adventures.
manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #19
Fallis
Meh

Bike: 05 R6 Track, 09 R1, Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipelinz View Post

Pacific Raceway is near Seattle. I know there's another track under construction west of there, but I can't recall the name of it.
Fallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:10 AM   #20
My94GT
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3aturnR View Post

s3aturnr
this^^ i had about 1500 street miles under my belt, pretty much all high way and had never rode a bike be it dirt or street before when i hit the track. it was the best move ive made yet. half way through last season i enjoyed the track so much i gave up street riding, its just not the same anymore.

sig by milko
my build thread-
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152740
My94GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement