Leaking Fuel Pump, sealed, reinserted... Bike wont start! Now what? - Page 2 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Exhaust and fuel delivery

Old 11-23-2012, 08:35 AM   #11
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes
Re: Leaking Fuel Pump, sealed, reinserted... Bike wont start! Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distein420 View Post
Ok. So I hooked up a transparent line to the sending unit and placed the other end into a dumping fuel tank. At first fuel was just coming down by gravity, even when I turned the key to ignition... then I tilted the gas tank unto its left side and turned the key to ignition and the sending unit shot out a squirt of fuel, did that a couple of times in order to get most of the fuel out of the bikes tank. U said that 47 psi is a lot of pressure, and that even if I held my thumb to the line it would be hard to keep my thumb on it. When I place my thumb on the line I can feel some pressure, however, not as if to knock my thumb out of the end of the line. So I'm really thinking it might be a pressure problem. How would I re establish 47 psi? How can I make it so that the pressure is increased? Is that possible? Thanks again!!
put it this way.. if you put your thumb over one end of the hose, the other end would BLAST off the pump nipple unless held with a hose clamp. Like.. FAST. with a clamp? you would never ever be able to hold you thumb over the hose. you would get a face full of fuel spray.
Yes, if you unsnapped the 2 halves of the fuel pump white plastic housing, there is an o-ring inside at the bottom of a narrow passage.

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee

Last edited by MELK-MAN; 11-23-2012 at 08:39 AM.
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #12
Distein420
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
put it this way.. if you put your thumb over one end of the hose, the other end would BLAST off the pump nipple unless held with a hose clamp. Like.. FAST. with a clamp? you would never ever be able to hold you thumb over the hose. you would get a face full of fuel spray.
Yes, if you unsnapped the 2 halves of the fuel pump white plastic housing, there is an o-ring inside at the bottom of a narrow passage.
Ok, then definitely not pumping with enough pressure cuz my thumb stays right on it and definitely no spray to the face. Now, I took out the pump again, (I did originally unsnap the two halves, thats when that o ring u are talking about fell out). I took out the pump again just now to see if it was an issue with that o ring. The problem is I dunno exactly how its supposed to go in there... Do you have a pic of how its supposed to go? The narrow passage you are talking about is on the sending unit side, right? theres an o-ring and a small white plastic piece in there, kinda looks like a "T" with a hole going through it and its cylindrical in shape. I dunno if the o ring goes on the absolute bottom, if it goes between the "T" shaped thing or what. Im pretty sure that should be the reason why its not creating enough pressure. So, questions:
-Do you have pics to display how that o-ring goes inside the passage?
-Do you have pics that show where that "t" shaped piece goes in reference to the o-ring?
-Is there any other way I could increase the pressure by adjusting something?
-Do you think the o-ring being placed incorrectly is the reason why im not getting pressure.

Brother thanks for bearing with me here, you are a bike Doctor! I really appreciate the back and forth conversation... It has all been trial and error so far.
Distein420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #13
Distein420
My R6 eats me.

Just spent my whole day working on the bike. Took the pump out three times. Tried putting the o-ring back in place hoping it was done correctly (not sure if its in right or not), still not enough pressure... So what's the fix? I know the pump is working, its definitely shooting out fuel on ignition, but how do I make it so it shoots out with pressure? How do I set it to 47 psi? Im sure I can do this myself... Im a little hesitant to getting raped in the a$$ moneywise for something I know is going to be simple. I know if I take it to a shop im gonna hate myself later... Any ideas??
Old 11-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #14
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Quote:
Just spent my whole day working on the bike. Took the pump out three times. Tried putting the o-ring back in place hoping it was done correctly (not sure if its in right or not), still not enough pressure... So what's the fix? I know the pump is working, its definitely shooting out fuel on ignition, but how do I make it so it shoots out with pressure? How do I set it to 47 psi? Im sure I can do this myself... Im a little hesitant to getting raped in the a$$ moneywise for something I know is going to be simple. I know if I take it to a shop im gonna hate myself later... Any ideas??
i dont' have photos.. but if you post some i will tell you where the o-ring goes. are you sure you didn't pull the wires apart that are in there? There are a blue white and black i think that if you yank the two halves of the pump apart without disconnecting them from the other half, you will pull em out. not good.
You say the pump is working, but it obviously isn't.. now if that o ring is out of place, that will obviously cause it to not push fuel where it's supposed to go.

My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
Old 11-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #15
Distein420
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
i dont' have photos.. but if you post some i will tell you where the o-ring goes. are you sure you didn't pull the wires apart that are in there? There are a blue white and black i think that if you yank the two halves of the pump apart without disconnecting them from the other half, you will pull em out. not good.
You say the pump is working, but it obviously isn't.. now if that o ring is out of place, that will obviously cause it to not push fuel where it's supposed to go.
All wires are in place. I have been very careful to not disconnect those... The Pump is definitely working! it is pushing out fuel, only its not sending it out with enough pressure. Could that be caused by the o ring being placed incorrectly? Take a few minutes to read my updates so far today... I will try and post pics but its a black o-ring inside the sending unit channel. Theres is a small white spacer tipe looking thing in there and I dont know its supposed to go in reference to the oring. Please help!
Old 11-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #16
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Quote:
All wires are in place. I have been very careful to not disconnect those... The Pump is definitely working! it is pushing out fuel, only its not sending it out with enough pressure. Could that be caused by the o ring being placed incorrectly? Take a few minutes to read my updates so far today... I will try and post pics but its a black o-ring inside the sending unit channel. Theres is a small white spacer tipe looking thing in there and I dont know its supposed to go in reference to the oring. Please help!
just because the pump is making noise, and makes some psi.. does not mean it's working. it could be junk. it is after all quite old. Was the bike running well before you took the pump apart? if it ran before, then obviously something is not together right after you pulled the pump apart (there really was no reason to pull it apart). A leak around the bottom of the tank has nothing to do with how the pump works.. are you sure the plugs on the bottom are connected in the right place? i can't remember on a 2nd gen pump, but on a 3rd the plugs will not connect in the wrong place, so you can't screw those up on a 3rd gen r6..
you may need to find a used pump on ebay.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #17
Distein420
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
just because the pump is making noise, and makes some psi.. does not mean it's working. it could be junk. it is after all quite old. Was the bike running well before you took the pump apart? if it ran before, then obviously something is not together right after you pulled the pump apart (there really was no reason to pull it apart). A leak around the bottom of the tank has nothing to do with how the pump works.. are you sure the plugs on the bottom are connected in the right place? i can't remember on a 2nd gen pump, but on a 3rd the plugs will not connect in the wrong place, so you can't screw those up on a 3rd gen r6..
you may need to find a used pump on ebay.
So my man... heres the update: Bike was running fine when I took the pump down. The reason I took it apart was cuz the last owner sealed it from the outside and that obviously didnt work, so I took it apart to seal it from the INSIDE (and outside), leak stopped, so my fix for the leak worked like a charm. ALl the cables in the right place, and in my gen r6 the plugs can only go in one place, so no mess up connecting them. The pressure problem was as I suspected...that o-ring that fell out, I had no idea how it went in cuz I had no reference. Anyway, after trial and error I finally figured out how the o ring went in, it goes between the white spacer "t" looking i was talking about and a a tiny tube in the sender unit where the spacer thing fits in. As you put the top and bottom parts together it fits in the sender unit channel really snug. As soon as I felt that snugness I knew everything was going to go well. So I hooked everything back up, this time KNOWING everything was gonna work. I felt it in my gut, so I didnt even hesitate in putting back all clamps and connections and sealing the deal. Turned the key to ignition, run, hit the starter and voila! Never felt better to hear the sweet sweet sound of rpm's reving!! Wooohooooo!!! Didn't spend a penny bro! Now my only deal is slow charging the battery tomorrow as the battery's shot. Good game. Thanks a lot for the help!! Pics coming soon for those who need em as bad as I did!
Old 11-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #18
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

glad ya fixed it. with that o-ring outa place, the fuel pressure was the problem as it was likely just swirling around within the pump housing. but cool ya didn't need to get another pump..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement