The first time YOU dragged knee. . . - Page 13 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Track Tech & Riding Techniques

Old 10-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #121
MikeN02
Mario J's Apple Juice

Bike: White Raven R6
Re: The first time YOU dragged knee. . .

First trackday (2 weeks ago). Turn 10 at Jennings GP. 3rd session of the day for novice group (15 min sessions). Been riding for 4 years on the streets.

Felt like I could touch it then when that turn came around I pushed off a little more and heard a scrape, immediately came back up since it scared the crap out of me.

Dragged knee for the rest of the day. Like others mentioned, my lines and times were horrible but it was so much fun.

MikeN02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #122
babymilo36
Yoga Pants Connoisseur

Bike: 2014 Grom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN02 View Post
First trackday (2 weeks ago). Turn 10 at Jennings GP. 3rd session of the day for novice group (15 min sessions). Been riding for 4 years on the streets.

Felt like I could touch it then when that turn came around I pushed off a little more and heard a scrape, immediately came back up since it scared the crap out of me.

Dragged knee for the rest of the day. Like others mentioned, my lines and times were horrible but it was so much fun.

CMRA #620
Wreck It Pandas #68

My 2008 R6 race build

babymilo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #123
swapilot33
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 06 50th Anniversary

arizona motorsports park turn 8 3rd session of my 1st track day. had gotten close to dragging on some turns on the freeway so it felt comfortable. it was an amazing feeling to feel the knee just slide across the pavement. became a super addicting feeling. that was back on my 06 600rr tho.
swapilot33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:44 AM   #124
manafest
OMG...

Bike: 02 R1, 07 R6, 98 duc 916
Send a message via AIM to manafest

Rode the r1 for a couple years... Then the r6 for a couple years... Finally got a suit and tried too hard for several months. Went to get my suspension tuned to my height and weight, literally dragged knee the next day in the canyons on a nice mellow cruise. It's just like everyone used to say on here.. It comes naturally when you're just having fun and being super smooth. Scared the shit outta me at first... but then it gives you more confidence in leaning the bike.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:18 AM   #125
dave...
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 02 GSXR 600

My first time was in the twisties (I know... I was planning on doing more TDs later in the year but I still love the twisties). I had been doing a lot of runs that day, then finally touched down. I thought "cool", got carried away and gunned it too early during the same corner to get it down again, forgot about the dip and decreasing radius, and crashed into the mountain side.

It took a while to get my confidence back but I'm at the point I could feel that I'm really close again. First time I did it, crash aside, it didn't feel epic or anything but it was nice to finally get that monkey off my back. Now though, especially after looking at my crash video, I'm hesitant that my foot will want to come off if I do it again even though I didn't have that feeling the first time I did it. Should I be worried?
dave... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:40 AM   #126
wutsup
Yeah Science!

Bike: gixxer chrome edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave... View Post
My first time was in the twisties (I know... I was planning on doing more TDs later in the year but I still love the twisties). I had been doing a lot of runs that day, then finally touched down. I thought "cool", got carried away and gunned it too early during the same corner to get it down again, forgot about the dip and decreasing radius, and crashed into the mountain side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5j9SD0odJs

It took a while to get my confidence back but I'm at the point I could feel that I'm really close again. First time I did it, crash aside, it didn't feel epic or anything but it was nice to finally get that monkey off my back. Now though, especially after looking at my crash video, I'm hesitant that my foot will want to come off if I do it again even though I didn't have that feeling the first time I did it. Should I be worried?
Davetechme! I think you know who I am from our brief conversations on Youtube haha. Welcome to the best motorcycle in ze world
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Then you need worse brakes, not better ones. I suggest adding some air to your lines and spraying your pads with wd-40 before you go out. You'll find all kinds of corner speed.
wutsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #127
dave...
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 02 GSXR 600

What's up Wutsup? lol. Thanks!

Yeah, if I ever do get another 600, it will definitely be an R6.
dave... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #128
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave... View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5j9SD0odJs

You should be much more worried about your horrible body position than anything. I've never see helmet cam footage of a crossed up rider like this before. It's a neat perspective. It's distracting looking at the knee dragging, but when it yanked back like that, it was probably your SUIT leather hitting the ground vs your knee puck. When the leather touches, it will almost pull you off the bike!!!!

But, watch the video again, and you're on the opposite side of the bike during the turn. You really squeezed a TON of lean angle out of that Suzuki!!!

Don't be worried about the knee getting pulled back. What happens in real normal life, is you goto a race track, and that's where your knee touches the ground. When it does, you run a bit wide, get a shock, then come your next lap you bury that knee in the same turn triumphantly!!!

When you come in from the track, you high five your boys, possibly embrace in a few bro-hugs as well, then you stare at the knee puck for the next 40 minutes till you get another session to try at it again!!

But while you are looking at this knee puck, you'll see that it's not pressing the ground flat or perfectly. Very few people's do. This is why you have a huge area on your knees to put the pucks. So if just the top half touches (like it does for my short ass), then you move the knee puck up towards where it needs to be. This will insure that your suit doesn't touch the ground and yank your leg back again!!!!!!

Whether you can afford 1 or 20 track days a year, you can get there and make it happen. I'm sure the guys on here will help you get to and from the track. EVERYONE is looking for gas money these days!! And more importantly, everyone is looking to help each other out. Shit, I became an online parts retailer and started my own race team with a pal so we could bring the help to new levels for all our friends and forum members!!!

I bet if you just stayed off the twisties for a few weeks, you'd have saved the gas money to goto the track. It's worth holding out on yourself for.

Good luck to you, and focus on keeping your body position good. Prior to the crash and that turn, you were kissing the mirror like a pro in most turns. That's what you wanna keep doing so it becomes second nature.

Also, use your hands and countersteering to bring the bike back up. Bringing your body over into the crossed up position obviously didnt work well for you!!

And Sorry, but holy shit bro. That was a fcuking serious crash and I'm glad to see you posting about it vs. being another statistic.

You sir are a rugged and durable motherfcuker for SURE!!!

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #129
shad0ws
I have 2 belly buttons.

Bike: '09 R6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
Don't be worried about the knee getting pulled back. What happens in real normal life, is you goto a race track, and that's where your knee touches the ground. When it does, you run a bit wide, get a shock, then come your next lap you bury that knee in the same turn triumphantly!!!

When you come in from the track, you high five your boys, possibly embrace in a few bro-hugs as well, then you stare at the knee puck for the next 40 minutes till you get another session to try at it again!!
Bahahahaha so true.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com App
Old 11-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #130
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0ws View Post
Bahahahaha so true.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com App

It's such a landmark event in my book! I remember my first few TD's, the whole way down talking about dragging knees, then the whole way back talking about WTF!!! Took me what seemed like forever to get my knees down!

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement