The first time YOU dragged knee. . . - Page 14 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Track Tech & Riding Techniques

Old 11-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #131
Tdub
FastForward Performance

Bike: Honda Z50
Re: The first time YOU dragged knee. . .

Yeh, but can you do an elbow???
Tdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #132
dave...
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 02 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
Good luck to you, and focus on keeping your body position good. Prior to the crash and that turn, you were kissing the mirror like a pro in most turns. That's what you wanna keep doing so it becomes second nature.

Also, use your hands and countersteering to bring the bike back up. Bringing your body over into the crossed up position obviously didnt work well for you!!

And Sorry, but holy shit bro. That was a fcuking serious crash and I'm glad to see you posting about it vs. being another statistic.

You sir are a rugged and durable motherfcuker for SURE!!!
Thanks bro. I'm short too. But yeah, I managed to squeeze out quite a bit of lean out these Q2s. Love them.

Since I'm whoring footage , here's my BP on the run just before the crash:

My BP has changed a bit since. Now I try to get my upper body off more or at least I find that getting my outer arm on the tank helps with facing me more towards the inside to kiss that mirror.

For the couple weeks leading up to the crash I started to build up a mentality that I could push myself pretty hard, not a wise thing to do on the street and I'll do more TDs this upcoming year to get that out of my system. I learned my lesson and I did get seriously lucky. I doubt I'll give up riding twisties for good, but I definitely stopped trying to ride like I have something to prove. Just go out and enjoy the ride.
dave... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #133
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdub View Post
Yeh, but can you do an elbow???
I wish!! I think I could get it on the apron if I am lucky. I tried a few times at my last TD this year cause I was feeling great. Needless to say, video showed that there's at least a few inches to go. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave... View Post
Thanks bro. I'm short too. But yeah, I managed to squeeze out quite a bit of lean out these Q2s. Love them.

Since I'm whoring footage , here's my BP on the run just before the crash:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPJ6WlXNDeY

My BP has changed a bit since. Now I try to get my upper body off more or at least I find that getting my outer arm on the tank helps with facing me more towards the inside to kiss that mirror.

For the couple weeks leading up to the crash I started to build up a mentality that I could push myself pretty hard, not a wise thing to do on the street and I'll do more TDs this upcoming year to get that out of my system. I learned my lesson and I did get seriously lucky. I doubt I'll give up riding twisties for good, but I definitely stopped trying to ride like I have something to prove. Just go out and enjoy the ride.
It's not bad bro!! And the camera on one side of the head looks like it exagerates the lack of hanging a LOT on the lefts. The one thing I see that you will benefit from is locking your outside leg into the tank. When traction lets loose, it can really help keep your feet on and near the pegs!

I find one thing that really worked for me and my BP was keeping my chest down all the time. Literally all the time. That was the only way I got used to laying down all day. Without ONLY riding track, it's very hard to get your head and body used to laying down on the tank so much.

The other thing I like to tell people is to bend your inside elbow. It forces you to bring your body off the bike and your head into position. You're off to a great headstart and will surely do very well on the track when you go bro.

You make your BP change, then tip the bike once and then look into the turn. You have a LOT going for you to be very fast quickly on the track. It's REAL tough to make that initial input and then work the throttle from there. Mid turn lean and bar inputs are terrible mid turn and you really don't do it much. That's a major thing to make one bar input like that. Smooooooth!!!!

For the most part you're textbook riding great!!! Seat time will be epic for you man. And your attitude is even better, and that's what will get you great help in the future.

Keep up the good work and safe riding when you can!!

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #134
shad0ws
I have 2 belly buttons.

Bike: '09 R6

Quote:
I wish!! I think I could get it on the apron if I am lucky. I tried a few times at my last TD this year cause I was feeling great. Needless to say, video showed that there's at least a few inches to go. :

It's not bad bro!! And the camera on one side of the head looks like it exagerates the lack of hanging a LOT on the lefts. The one thing I see that you will benefit from is locking your outside leg into the tank. When traction lets loose, it can really help keep your feet on and near the pegs!

I find one thing that really worked for me and my BP was keeping my chest down all the time. Literally all the time. That was the only way I got used to laying down all day. Without ONLY riding track, it's very hard to get your head and body used to laying down on the tank so much.

The other thing I like to tell people is to bend your inside elbow. It forces you to bring your body off the bike and your head into position. You're off to a great headstart and will surely do very well on the track when you go bro.

You make your BP change, then tip the bike once and then look into the turn. You have a LOT going for you to be very fast quickly on the track. It's REAL tough to make that initial input and then work the throttle from there. Mid turn lean and bar inputs are terrible mid turn and you really don't do it much. That's a major thing to make one bar input like that. Smooooooth!!!!

For the most part you're textbook riding great!!! Seat time will be epic for you man. And your attitude is even better, and that's what will get you great help in the future.

Keep up the good work and safe riding when you can!!

This helped me drastically! I know my body positioning is off if I don't feel my tits on the tank.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #135
dave...
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 02 GSXR 600

Quote:
Good call. I used to ride my nuts a bit too close to the tank. After the crash, I have since moved back on the seat a lot more and lift up on my outer heal. I find that this helps with locking the outer knee into the tank as well as getting my upper body lower on the tank.

Thanks for tips. Will be sure to make good use of them on the track.
dave... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #136
luke geis
crashing aint so bad

Bike: 2005 red r6

I haven't dragged knee in 6 years of riding : ( . I get a touch down every now and then and I mean a literal tap. I'm at a pace that is in the middle of A group ( fastest group ). What am I doing wrong?

Kidding of course about what I'm doing wrong....

remember kids, dragging knee isn't a sign of speed. I know people in C group that are slower than dirt turning to rock and can drag knee in every corner. Dragging knee is a result, not a goal. I just haven't gotten the result yet god damnit.......... you would think that pulling sub 2 min laps at BW would be it; but noooooo, I just get a little tap about once a track day : /
Old 11-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #137
PenalCoder
gytr slip on & filter

Bike: 09 R6R

First time I got one down was this past summer my second track day @ Gateway Motorsport Park in St. Louis. I rolled back in the pit celebrating like I'd won a race, it was definitely one of my most exciting moments on my bike. I was however fortunate enough to have it captured on film
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-06-22-09-27-46.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	490.8 KB
ID:	86795  

Last edited by PenalCoder; 11-23-2012 at 06:42 PM.
PenalCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:33 AM   #138
wutsup
Yeah Science!

Bike: gixxer chrome edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave... View Post
What's up Wutsup? lol. Thanks!

Yeah, if I ever do get another 600, it will definitely be an R6.
Oops That was a typo, I meant to say Welcome to ze best motorcycle forum in ze world
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Then you need worse brakes, not better ones. I suggest adding some air to your lines and spraying your pads with wd-40 before you go out. You'll find all kinds of corner speed.
wutsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:37 AM   #139
HER6
Needs more stars

Bike: 2005 R6, 2006 DRZ400 SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke geis View Post
I haven't dragged knee in 6 years of riding : ( . I get a touch down every now and then and I mean a literal tap. I'm at a pace that is in the middle of A group ( fastest group ). What am I doing wrong?

Kidding of course about what I'm doing wrong....

remember kids, dragging knee isn't a sign of speed. I know people in C group that are slower than dirt turning to rock and can drag knee in every corner. Dragging knee is a result, not a goal. I just haven't gotten the result yet god damnit.......... you would think that pulling sub 2 min laps at BW would be it; but noooooo, I just get a little tap about once a track day : /
Pfffft! Just go faster.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #140
luke geis
crashing aint so bad

Bike: 2005 red r6

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hey Colleen how ya doing? Hope to see you and Mark at the track in feb!