Speed Wobbles - Page 2 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 11-20-2012, 05:35 AM   #11
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6
Re: Speed Wobbles

Must be the balance beads

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #12
My94GT
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0ws View Post
You could have had too tight of a grip on the bars the first time you smacked it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com App
this, once you hit it you went all gigity and what not and prolly grabbed them too tight.

sig by milko
my build thread-
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152740
My94GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:48 AM   #13
TinyDancer
Resident Bulgarian

Bike: '12 R6

I get the wobbles when I grab it too tight...

KCCO
TinyDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:49 AM   #14
natedogg624
I eat my R6

do not use balance beads evar.
Nathan - #425 - 07 Yamaha R6
35 Motorsports, Vortex Racing, Pit Posse Motorsports, Spy Optics, Suomy Helmets, 614 Paintworx, Optimal Racing, GP Tech
Nationwide Children's Hospital/Ohio Motorcyclists for Children
The Retrofit Source
natedogg624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:56 AM   #15
Tribalic One
This is bat country!

Bike: 2005 white/red R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedogg624 View Post
do not use balance beads evar.
I've been using Dynabeads in my last couple sets of tires without any issue. Have you had a bad experience with them?
Tribalic One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:07 AM   #16
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribalic One View Post
I've been using Dynabeads in my last couple sets of tires without any issue. Have you had a bad experience with them?

The general consensus has been they really don't work. There's been a bunch of threads. Derffred works at a Benz dealer where he actually has a high speed balancer. This dude even had a shitty experience with the beads.

Have a good laugh at this thread. Especially when the Drill-do talk starts.
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showt...=153959&page=5

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #17
Tribalic One
This is bat country!

Bike: 2005 white/red R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post

The general consensus has been they really don't work. There's been a bunch of threads. Derffred works at a Benz dealer where he actually has a high speed balancer. This dude even had a shitty experience with the beads.

Have a good laugh at this thread. Especially when the Drill-do talk starts.
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showt...=153959&page=5
Definitely a good read. It seems they start having issues under track use. I wonder if it's a heat issue. I've ran two sets of tires with beads, on the street, without any issues. I've had her up to speed a few times. :rook

I plan to start getting up to Hallet next season. So I will keep this in mind when I come due for new rubbers. Pretty sure I'm giving the Power Pures a try this time around.
Tribalic One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #18
Chadwick85
R6 > Anything

Bike: 2004 Yamaha R6

Too tight on the grips, or too loose on the grips can do it too bud.

First sportbike ever, honda cbr 600, 3 years ago, was doing 65 on the highway and went no hands to stretch the back, next thing i knew the front tire was doing the chickin, and I filled my pants.

relaxed grip is the way to go sir!

Sick DND Exhaust
Custom Blue Shorty Levers
Custom Blue Windscreen
Intergrated Signal Lights
Fender Eliminator Kit

BEAST
Chadwick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:56 AM   #19
BootiHole
Lol

Bike: 2007 Candy Red R6

Yup, too much grip/weight on the bars.

SpeedoDRD
BMC Race Filter
Shermoto Levers
15T Front Vortex Sprocket
Hotbodies Racing Undertail
AGG Racing Smog Block Offs
DDM Tuning 4500k Slim HID Kit
ECU Reflash by ChiefSmokeDawg
Pro Grip 724 Dual Density Road Grips
Pro Grip Black Carbon Fiber Tank Pad
Hotbodies Racing Flush Mount Signals
Full Yoshimura Carbon TRC Exhaust System
SKUR Black Carbon Fiber Triple Tree & Gauge Cover
BootiHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #20
luke geis
crashing aint so bad

Bike: 2005 red r6

If you get speed wobbles while off the gas and no hands on the bars, it's because you are off the gas. Not because of anything else other than a bump perhaps. Remember that the bike has rake designed into it for directional stability. But as with most sport bikes the rake is a fairly small amount. So the tire has very little directional stability in general. The only thing that really keeps the tire in line is it's inertia, hence the gyroscopic effect. Being on the gas unloads the front end allowing it to react in the manner in which it was designed, but also makes inputs easier to manipulate the tire. The grip from hell fights the natural movement of the tire over road imperfections. This in turn leads to a deflection in the opposite direction, which cycles and repeats.

When wobbles occur off the gas and with no hands on the bars it's very much the same thing. The difference is that instead of an opposing input at the bars, it's the weight transfer over the front tire that is exacerbating the issue. The front tire while decelerating becomes weighted down beyond it's static load. This adds force to the suspension and when a bump is hit, it reacts similar to holding the bars too tight. The tire deflects and is slow to react but once it gets moving, it moves too far in the opposite direction. The tire again deflects and is impacted by the road imperfections and the cycle repeats. In general having a light grip on the bars would eliminate that issue, also being on the brakes would again counteract the issue. Mostly because the energy would be transferred through the bike differently. While on the brakes the suspension goes through a major geometry change, making the issue become a different beast. This is why a bike is unstable ( usually while hard on the brakes ) and the rear tire will wallow around. Because so much weight is on the front tire, instead of it moving, the now lighter rear part of the machine moves and shifts under the inputs.

A good way to test this theory is to get up to a normal speed and let off the gas. Then let the bars go. Then with one hand give one of the bars a solid whack. The bike should go into a speed wobble. It should also quickly sort it'self out. Not an idea of fun, but you can do it on your bicycle as well.

The wobble is a needed and appropriate reaction from the machine. It will almost always work it'self out if allowed to do so. This is why it is said to let the bars go when one occurs. This is so you don't fight it. The speed wobble is not a bad thing, but it's not a good thing either. It is a needed reaction in order to deal with the problem that created it, but it is non productive to directional control too. There are two ways to eliminate a wobble. One is to let the bars go and or relax your grip on them. The other is to get on the gas harder to unload the front end even more and hopefully arrest the wobble. The later is difficult for beginners and is difficult to do on bike without lots of power. Even a 600cc machine can be under powered to deal with it with the second approach. The easiest way to reduce the potential for a wobble is to maintain a feather grip on the bars and remember to relax even more when one does occur.