What made you choose R6 over R1? - Page 3 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 11-25-2012, 04:45 AM   #21
LiveFastDieLast
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 09 R6
Re: What made you choose R6 over R1?

If you like the front whels coming up with ease when you get into it go with the R1.
I love the 600. I also love the 16500 red line. Another reason why I love the 6's
Just something about hanging a gear out way up in the RPM that I love.

Keep your Knees in the Breeze
"Only two types of Whiskey I don't like, Dick and Throttle" - A Wise Man.
LiveFastDieLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 07:42 AM   #22
WildBill420
billdozer

Bike: 2011 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerebel View Post
The only reason I'd get an r1 is for that bitching crossplane sound lol
one of my reasons i want one

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisbest View Post
i love my r6 but you cant deny the torque from an r1, everytime i ride my brothers 05 r1 its just fun as hell, instant throttle responce is phenomenal
only 1k i have ridden was a cbr and the torque was amazing, it was an epic fun street ride that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFastDieLast View Post
If you like the front whels coming up with ease when you get into it go with the R1.
I love the 600. I also love the 16500 red line. Another reason why I love the 6's
Just something about hanging a gear out way up in the RPM that I love.
WildBill420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #23
S3aturnR
track junkie

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTank View Post
I was curious what made you all choose the R6 over the R1? Also, after you had your R6 for a while, do you wish you would have gotten the R1? or visa versa.

Just seeing what you all thought.
never even considered the r1. or any liter bike for that matter. what led me to the r6 was the price i was able to negotiate plus the fact that, at the time, nesba was giving track day credits for a yamaha purchase. if it was honda or kawi that had that same deal, that's what i'd be riding right now. i have zero brand loyalty; i go where the deal is.

it was a nice bonus that many people use the r6 for the track. that, combined with the fact that 5 model years are almost identical, means there should be no shortage of replacement parts when i fall off at said track...

liter bikes are a different animal. i see them run by me on the straights all the time and still manage to out-brake most of them into turn 1...

s3aturnr
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:31 AM   #24
ReaperKK
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: '08 R6S

I've always wanted an R6 and how I have my current R6 was a complete accident, just driving by saw it, bought it pretty much.

I never considered an R1, it's too much bike for me and I'm happy with my R6. R1's are sexy as hell tho.
ReaperKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #25
Chad68
My other bike is a Tacoma

Bike: Bitchin' Blue 2012 R6

Here's my reasons for getting an 2012 R6 this time (last 2 bikes were both R1's).

Didn't feel like spending an extra 3 grand this time.

2008-13 R6's are the best looking Japanese sportbikes ever built IMO.

They sound better IMO than the crossplane. This from a guy who can't stand the sound of a Ducati. Although I don't totally hate the sound of a crossplane or a V-twin, just not my preferance.

Slightly better range on a tank of gas (maybe), helps from getting stranded out in the sticks because the crossplane decided to drink gas faster from essentially the same size tank. At least I hear the crossplane gets worse MPG than previous R1's.

For riding twisty roads, 99% of the time I don't need 155'ish RWHP.

The R6 is not a pregnant pig on roller skates kind of how an R1 can at times feel on back roads to me. I'm a big guy and can throw a liter bike around pretty good but there are times on an R1 I feel like I'm trying to corner with a school bus.

The way I have to park it in my garage, I need to dead lift the ass end of the bike to park it and the R6 is lighter LOL.

Time will tell if I keep it long term. I seem to change bikes out every two years anyway. This one may be a keeper, unless I get tired of wringing it's neck to 10,000-15,000 RPM and doing tripple downshifts all the time, but that's actually another reason I like it and that 15,000 RPM sound.... YUMMY!

Objects in mirror are V-twins.

Today's post was brought to you by the letter R and the number 6.

Silly rabbit, tricks are for squids.
Chad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #26
pickpocket293
iRun

Bike: Sold off in pieces.

I didn't want to end up as a bloody mess on the side of the road.. That's why.

Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s? HERE
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250? HERE
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer? HERE
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz? HERE
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH? HERE
  • How does rotating mass work? HERE
pickpocket293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:45 AM   #27
Talus
R6 Pilot

Bike: 2008 Yamaha R6S

I was coming from a KLR 650. I had several years of riding experience, but didn't feel the need to jump to a liter bike. I have always loved light weight bikes. My first bike was a CR 250. I love being able to blaze through the corners on the mountain passes here, so really never felt the need for a liter bike. Woke up one morning and decided I wanted an R6. Drove around till I found my 2nd gen. If I had to do it over again I would have gone with a third gen. Part of me wants a new bike, and another part of me wants to keep the R6. So the next bike will probably be in addition to the R6, and it will more than likely not be a liter bike. Looking at a Ducati 848 Evo Corse. The R6 is more than enough bike for me. It's fast, lighter than the R1, corners better, and is cheaper.

2008 Yamaha R6S
Mods: * Sportech Chrome Windscreen * Chrome Reservoir covers * MotoGP Reservoir Sock * Color Matched top triple tree w/custom decal * Tank Pad * Hard Rock Motorsports HR1 Riot Exhaust * Custom LED integrated turn signals * TAG metals fender eliminator kit w/custom lighting * Clegg's Innovations Angel Eyes * Joe Florida LED underglow kit * Euro turn signal mod * Hotbodies Flush Mount Turn Singals * Black rear shock spring * Pazzo Racing Levers * Carbon Fiber Ram Air Covers * Driven D3 Gel Grips * BMC Street Air Filter *

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines, and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."
Talus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #28
Rocky5000100
I eat my R6

Bike: 2003 Track SV650, 05 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerebel View Post
I had a liter bike and almost killed my self a few times. Went to a 600 and never looked back. I will probably never tap 80% of my bikes potential.... Why bother with a liter bike? The only reason I will be going to a liter bike is When I pick up my multistrada or a tenere.

The only reason I'd get an r1 is for that bitching crossplane sound lol

I love the crossplane sound so much.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #29
asdfjklm
Shiney up Rubber down

Bike: 04 Red R6 and 09 White R1

Because it's what I could afford at the time.

I have an 09 R1 and still have the 04 R6 with 30K+ miles on it.

Now that I have both, one is my track riding bike (the R6) and one is my street bike for twistys and getting to work and back in the warmer months (the R1). I have had the r1 on the track a few times, but always manage to have more fun with the r6 out there because it is an easier bike to control myself on I guess.

Shiney up Rubber down

PHANTOM.... DID YOU BUY A BIKE YET?
asdfjklm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #30
Agg2001
Original Member-Vendor

Bike: 2007 R6, 2005 CRF250r
Send a message via AIM to Agg2001 Send a message via MSN to Agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to Agg2001

why the r6 over the r1? i don't have a tiny penis.

High-end, AFFORDABLE, parts and accessories for your bike!

ALWAYS free shipping to the USA, with 1-3 day delivery times.

Agg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement