Break in period for Q2's? : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Tire Tech Talk

Old 11-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
Urshur
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2003 Yamaha YZF-R6
Break in period for Q2's?

So I did a little searching, and from what I can tell people don't seem to think there's too much of a break-in period for a pair of new Q2's. However, I just got mine on yesterday (first tire change since buying the bike used), and first ride out I'm taking a fairly easy corner, not leaning in too hard or accelerating out of it at all, and I just lowside (first time too). Nothing serious, but it's still concerning to me. Should I just try to thermal cycle the tires by freeway riding for a bit, and then not worry about it? How long would you say it takes to get them up to temp?
Urshur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
danaatscootdotnet
www.1seven1.com

Re: Break in period for Q2's?

I'd look at your pressures or see if there's something on the tire (fluid? Armorall?)

What you described doesn't sound right. Not much break-in needed for modern tires, just get them up to temp.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
Urshur
My R6 eats me.

I checked pressures a few days ago, but they seemed fine to me. How long does it take them to get up to temp, in your opinion? My only other thought is that I messed up and just accelerated out of the corner too hard and lost traction on my back end, but I didn't feel like I was being all that aggressive. Still, it was within the first mile on these tires.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
Doc-Ram
I ride with Passion

Bike: 08 R6, '10 RSV4R

Reason for your low side.....cold tires. Any tire if cold is going to slide out. On street, it takes a while to warm up to good temp, I'd say ~5 miles or so with good stop'n go's. Hard braking and strong acceleration generated more heat. Also depends on road temps, if tis too cold, tires loose heat fast.

No real break-in time for any modern tires as stated before. Just wait for them to warm up good enough (upto you to know when they are good enough for your riding skills).
Doc-Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
Urshur
My R6 eats me.

Hmm, thanks for the advice. Definitely sounds like user error on my end. Thanks!
Old 11-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
Doc-Ram
I ride with Passion

Bike: 08 R6, '10 RSV4R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urshur View Post
Hmm, thanks for the advice. Definitely sounds like user error on my end. Thanks!
no need to beat yourself up, happens to the best of us. Glad you were not hurt.

I rode brand new tires at the track (B'stone S20's), just let them warm up before pushing them to the limit.
Doc-Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
pickpocket293
iRun

Bike: 1/8th of an 06

Do a burnout next time before you hit the streets.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
S3aturnR
track junkie

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urshur View Post
So I did a little searching, and from what I can tell people don't seem to think there's too much of a break-in period for a pair of new Q2's. However, I just got mine on yesterday (first tire change since buying the bike used), and first ride out I'm taking a fairly easy corner, not leaning in too hard or accelerating out of it at all, and I just lowside (first time too). Nothing serious, but it's still concerning to me. Should I just try to thermal cycle the tires by freeway riding for a bit, and then not worry about it? How long would you say it takes to get them up to temp?
somewhere between 1 and 2 laps, then they're ready for full throttle action...

s3aturnr
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
elchato
^ Jose, but call me Chato

Bike: '08 Yellow-n-Black R6

Yeah for a track day 2 laps, but next year will be the first year using my tire warmers. woop woop!!

On the street give it a about 5 minutes of hard accellerating and braking, not swerving side to side, that only works well on car tires IIRC.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #10
pickpocket293
iRun

Bike: 1/8th of an 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchato View Post
Yeah for a track day 2 laps, but next year will be the first year using my tire warmers. woop woop!!

On the street give it a about 5 minutes of hard accellerating and braking, not swerving side to side, that only works well on car tires IIRC.
It's amazingly difficult to keep the proper operating temperature in tires during street riding.. Just about as soon as you manage to get them up to temp you've gotta slow down for whatever reason and they're cooled down again. Unless you're running through the canyons for 30 minute sessions at a time..