please help - 03 R6 problems between 4000 and 8000 RPMs - Page 2 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Garage / Mechanical Help

Old 11-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #11
speedyafrica
God is my everything.

Re: please help - 03 R6 problems between 4000 and 8000 RPMs

Well, when the noise started getting louder, I could tell that it came from the right side of the engine, from the timing chain area. So I replaced the cam chain tensioner(thats what the dealership said the issue was). I checked the old one, and it functions perfectly. It does not stick at all. So my current cam chain tensioner has less than 1000 miles on it.

I also ordered a new guide (the one that the cam chain tensioner presses against) since they said that could also be worn out. The new guide was put in when I had the timing chain replaced a few hundred miles ago.
speedyafrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #12
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyafrica View Post
Well, when the noise started getting louder, I could tell that it came from the right side of the engine, from the timing chain area. So I replaced the cam chain tensioner(thats what the dealership said the issue was). I checked the old one, and it functions perfectly. It does not stick at all. So my current cam chain tensioner has less than 1000 miles on it.

I also ordered a new guide (the one that the cam chain tensioner presses against) since they said that could also be worn out. The new guide was put in when I had the timing chain replaced a few hundred miles ago.
well.. somebody needs to pull some stuff off to look about in there. that is a pretty bad noise. I have no idea whey they would tell you to buy a chain guide based on the statement "could be worn out".. it's either worn visibly or it is not. It's not something you need to replace based on a guess, or mileage. It's obvious by looking if its' worn or not..

here is what it would look like if in REAL bad shape.. LOL

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee

Last edited by MELK-MAN; 11-20-2012 at 07:38 PM.
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #13
speedyafrica
God is my everything.

I am planning on it since I can't go anywhere if I don't, and I am definately NOT riding it anywhere with it sounding like that.

As far as the chain guide, they said could be because they wanted to charge me over 100 dollars just to open it up and look so they just did that based on listening to it.
When I had the timing chain replaced, they also looked in there and did not see anything out of the ordinary.

I am going to start by opening up the side cover and seeing if the chain is tight, which it should be since its pretty much brand new. What im wondering is, where to go after that. Where else do I look?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #14
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyafrica View Post
I am planning on it since I can't go anywhere if I don't, and I am definately NOT riding it anywhere with it sounding like that.

As far as the chain guide, they said could be because they wanted to charge me over 100 dollars just to open it up and look so they just did that based on listening to it.
When I had the timing chain replaced, they also looked in there and did not see anything out of the ordinary.

I am going to start by opening up the side cover and seeing if the chain is tight, which it should be since its pretty much brand new. What im wondering is, where to go after that. Where else do I look?
THAT .. is the million $ question.

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #15
easyR6
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 04 R6S
Send a message via Yahoo to easyR6

wish i had seen this sooner had the same problem with mine. if you let it go long enough it will jump teeth too. mine had jumped 2 teeth. the biggest problem isnt the chain the the hydro tensionor, i replaced mine with a manual one and was told ill never have that problem again, however did loose just a lil top end throttle, not enough to even worry with.

sig courtesy of GIJoe007
easyR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #16
speedyafrica
God is my everything.

Ok, so we opened the cover up, and the chain was tight, we also double checked that the (new) tensioner was working, which it was. So no problems there. Then we decided to take a new approach. Me and my dad recorded how the engine ran with a video camera, and played it back on the computer, while slowing it down to an eighth of the normal speed. We could see and hear every engine revolution as well as every knock. We did this to see weather we had the highest probability to find the problem by opening up te top or the bottom of the engine.

We opened the top first, and checked the valve clearances (again since the shop checked them less than 1000 miles ago). They were all in spec, except for one was a little tight. By this time, we had taken so much off already that it was maybe another 30 more minutes to open up the bottom aswell. We did, and before we put the oil pan back on, we noticed 2 pieces of metal, about the size of a quarter in the pan.

We decided to take a closer look from the bottom, and noticed that one of the pistons had pieces missing from the bottom of it. Looking at the pieces, they had smooth edges meaning that they had broken off a while ago, probably where the first "tick" came from. However, by manually cranking the engine, we could tell exactly where, and even predict where the knock was. Every 2nd engine revolution or every 4th stroke since there are 2 engine revolutions and 4 strokes per engine cycle.

The reason that we think the piston having parts of the bottom missing, is not causing the knock that we hear, is because, when the knock happens, that piston is not moving at all (we were looking up at it while cranking the engine manually). So, having said all that, it looks like I am going to have to replace the pistons and rings, but also the con rod bearings (the only other thing that makes sense that the knock could be coming from). Since we are going to have the engine out, we are going to reseat the valves aswell. The sad thing is, that wont be able to happen for another 3 weeks since I still have classes.

One thing I am not sure of, is when ordering the con rod sleeves, they have different colors. Is there a way I can check which color to order before we open the engine up, so it wont have to stand open for 2 weeks? I have searched for it, and there seems to be a lot of confusion concerning that topic.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:42 AM   #17
speedyafrica
God is my everything.

Sooo, i tore the entire engine apart to try and fix the problem. Turns out that we were right unfortunately - one of my pistons broke.. i'll post pictures later. Because the piston broke, my cylinder has some scratches in it that you can barely feel with your bare hands. However since the engines have nikasil plating inside the cylinders, you cannot just hone the scratches out. When i took it to a shop that said they had the right stones to hone nikasil, they measured the cylinder and found that it is 0.006" out of round (max wear limit is 0.002" ). Also the closest shop that re-plates nikasil in the cylinders are in wisconsin and charge ~750 for the replating (not including shipping there and back). A new crank case costs ~1,500 and new pistons cost ~500 if i get all the stock parts i need for rebuild (which would have to be added to the 750 or 1,500)

I am open to suggestions. I do think the best bet at this point would be to find another used engine, and sell some of the parts that still work off of the one that i can't use anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement