SIDI Vertigo (Quick Review) : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Product Reviews

Old 11-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
MikeN02
Mario J's Apple Juice

Bike: White Raven R6
SIDI Vertigo (Quick Review)

Decided to do a review since I was bored.

I couldn't decide between the SIDI Vertigo or the SIDI Cobra's at first. If color is an issue the Cobra comes in different ones but the Vertigo only comes in black. The Vertigo did come with colors, not sure why they stopped selling them.

Being a "novice" boot compared to the Vortice. Reason being is your ankle part slightly bends where as the Vortice or ST it rarely does.

Here is SBTG's video explaining it:
http://youtu.be/d7qbpl1kJUM?t=2m3s
(2:06)

A deal came up and I bought these bad boys lightly used, SIDI Vertigo (Regular not Air) in Red:

The sizing
They only run half sizes. I wear a 9 US so I went with the 9.5. Theres a little bit of room in there but it's comfortable. The downside is it's a little loose in the heel area. My friend recommended I put some insoles in there to help the problem a bit, still haven't tried it.

VS Air/Comfort
I haven't had experience with the Vertigo Air's yet but I read somewhere someone returned them because the Airs were "too cold". I'm fine with the "heat" of the boot. The side vents do work when it's a bit chilly out but I usually keep them open.

These boots are comfortable to me. I was thinking of getting the SIDI Street burners as well for a street boot but I wear these full length boots under my jeans fine. In fact, I can put these boots on faster than sneakers.

The rear calf adjustment helps as well. When I'm sticking my track leathers in the boot I loosen it up and then tighten it. While street riding under my jeans, it helps so that the boot doesn't feel loose around my calves, so it feels secure like it won't fly off.

(First trackday)

Being short, the SIDI vertigos won't allow me to move my ankle. Therefore, I have to physically get off the bike to put the kickstand down or up. Not a big deal for the price of having feet.

Picture of how the red looks:

I wore them for 9 hours straight the first day I had them and it was okay. I would prefer not to but it's not unbearable.

Function:
Unfortunately, I had the chance to test the boots out at my first trackday. It wasn't a serious accident, minor low side. They held up fine, minor rash on the side of the boot (don't have a picture yet), and my feet had no pain. If I wanted to, I could replace some parts since some of the boot "sliders" are replaceable (being held on by screws).

Video:
http://youtu.be/aGGOdmhRyvU?t=3m20s
(3:19)

Overall, I'm glad I invested in SIDI. If I had to, I would purchase them again. They're made for the typical track day rider like myself, and street rider. I've had a lot of people ask me what type of shoes or boots they are, I'm guessing mainly because they're all red and eye catching. You should get the black vertigos if you want to be discreet.

If anyone has any other questions I'll try to hop back on here to answer them.

MikeN02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
mgossel
Lifetime Premium

Re: SIDI Vertigo (Quick Review)

Nice review Mike...I am in between the Sidi's and the Dainese boot. This definitely helped me out.
mgossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
MikeN02
Mario J's Apple Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgossel View Post
Nice review Mike...I am in between the Sidi's and the Dainese boot. This definitely helped me out.
No problem. I'm a huge Dainese fan but I believe SIDI ONLY makes shoes. Plus I've heard some stuff about how Dainese gloves have come apart on contact so I'm more of a Dainese Jacket/Suit now.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
mgossel
Lifetime Premium

Hmm..good to know. I have the suit as well and am a huge fan. I have heard nothing but good things about the Sidi's.

I know you said you got a half size bigger, but would you say it' fits true to size? I am a 10.5 so it's seems the half size thing works in my favor.
mgossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
gonzotheman
I eat my R6

Bike: 1981 CX500C 2012 Blue R6
Great review man. I have the cobtras. I've had one problem. But this may be just a common sport riding boot side effect. Since there is a toe box in the boot and hard sole its really hard to get a feel for the shifter and rear brake. Have you had this issue? I've done about 4 hours of street riding in them so far so I'm sure they can still be broken in a bit...
gonzotheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
MikeN02
Mario J's Apple Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgossel View Post
Hmm..good to know. I have the suit as well and am a huge fan. I have heard nothing but good things about the Sidi's.

I know you said you got a half size bigger, but would you say it' fits true to size? I am a 10.5 so it's seems the half size thing works in my favor.
Honestly, I wouldn't know the answer to that. I'm a size 9 and got the 9.5 so I would ask around. Only reason I got the size bigger is because it comes in half sizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotheman View Post
Great review man. I have the cobtras. I've had one problem. But this may be just a common sport riding boot side effect. Since there is a toe box in the boot and hard sole its really hard to get a feel for the shifter and rear brake. Have you had this issue? I've done about 4 hours of street riding in them so far so I'm sure they can still be broken in a bit...
It's for all riding boots. Back when I first started riding I wore some steel toed work boots and had a hard time adjusting to it (especially for my MSF course!) but now that I've gotten used to it I can feel the shifter and hear it as well.

As for the rear brake, I like many others, prefer not to use it as it's easier to lock up than the front. Especially since you'd have no "feel" of the rear brake lever and would engage too much rear brake.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
Rocky5000100
I eat my R6

Bike: 2003 Track SV650, 05 R6

Good review.

I also own the Sidi Vertigos. I am a size 13 shoe and the 12.5 Sidi fits me good.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
easbaysav
track fiend

Bike: 14 D675R, 09 R6

Those are great boots. I originally bought a pair of Vertigo Airs for the track while I used my B2s for the street. I later used the Vertigos for both track and canyon rides, but now I use them for the street/canyon and have a set of ST Airs for the track. The ST boots are a good in-between boot from the Vortices and Vertigos.

Prior to the STs I had a set of Vortices that I used for one session on a trackday then switched back to my Vertigos. The Vortices really need some breaking in (should've broke them in a little prior to the TD) otherwise they are too stiff. The guy I sold them to rode home with them and later told me I was right about them being stiff, but he didn't mind having to break them in.

I think the Vertigos are the best Sidi boots I've owned so far, but the STs aren't that far behind and may surpass them over time.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:11 AM   #9
babymilo36
Chinese Immigrant

Bike: Specialized Allez Elite

I LOVE my Sidi Vertigo Airs. I'm sad they discontinued the Airs.

CMRA #620
Wreck It Pandas #68

My 2008 R6 race build

babymilo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:27 AM   #10
My94GT
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotheman View Post
you may need to adjust your shifter a bit but youll get used to that in no time. as for sidi boots, another fan here. i switched from my A* smx plus to the vortice airs and love them right out of the box.

sig by milko
my build thread-
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152740
My94GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement