Dropped my bike for the first time - Page 2 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 11-26-2012, 06:39 AM   #11
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6
Re: Dropped my bike for the first time

That's the difference between a crash on the track and a tip over like this.. If it was an actual crash and you were riding on the adrenaline rush till the incident, you'd have no problem picking that beast right up!

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 06:50 AM   #12
LittleMeanGreenMachine
Life is best beyond 10k

Bike: 2008 Honda CBR600RR

I've watched all the videos and still can't lift up the bike on my own. I should attend one of the IMS presentations to see it done. Of course, lifting a giant cruiser which is only half-over because it's resting on it's floor boards is different than lifting a sportbike which is on it's side.

I've ridden for 3 years now and never could pick up my bike if it fell. Only time it was an issue was when I dropped it in the driveway while I was home alone. Left my pride at home and went next door to my neighbor's for help.

Quote:
"Multiple track days are needed every 12 month period to keep performance of the nut between bars and seat within an acceptable range. Failure to do so could result in a loss of talent in the nut. Crashing, "squidding it up" and illusions of awesomeness could occur.".
LittleMeanGreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #13
Xtina
Weeeeeeeeeeeee

Bike: '13 Ninja 300, '07 Gix600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlessmingler View Post
LOL she's funny. But seriously that was the saddest tip over ever. Poor Ninja.
2009 R6 -sold

SOAR #818
Xtina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #14
LittleMeanGreenMachine
Life is best beyond 10k

Bike: 2008 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlessmingler View Post
Never had the opportunity to try it out But I think these videos are a good reference.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfsUZDA8CoI
Putting the bike into gear is something I hadn't heard of before. But it makes total sense. I can lift my bike to "stage 1" where it's sorta half-up. It's getting it the rest of the way that's difficult for me. I still wonder if part of my technique is off. But I'm not too keen on tipping the bike over to try.

Quote:
"Multiple track days are needed every 12 month period to keep performance of the nut between bars and seat within an acceptable range. Failure to do so could result in a loss of talent in the nut. Crashing, "squidding it up" and illusions of awesomeness could occur.".
LittleMeanGreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #15
Keems06
I eat my R6

Bike: 2007 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtina View Post
LOL she's funny. But seriously that was the saddest tip over ever. Poor Ninja.
Yeah I was entertained by that video. Thought the rider was a 16 yr old boy before I saw her get off the bike.
Keems06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #16
m3lover1
Lead3r of the Triads

Bike: Two dirty dirty bikes

My MSF instructor told me once he was riding along on the back roads and saw a girl with her goldwing down. He parked and was going to walk over to help her lift it. Before he got there, she already had it up by herself and rode off already. He said he stood there in shock for the longest time.

Proud winner of April 2013 ROTM with a bike that no one likes!

I <3 PASSION MOTORSPORTS

Street/Track Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisdeadrideblue View Post
Ive taken bigger shits than Ricky, but he has personality, so that should count for something......right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by babymilo36 View Post
I see my balls are in high demand in terms of cupping
RIP Jason (Snocompton). We will miss you.
m3lover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #17
jamieching04
Now killing threads!!!

Bike: 09 R6S

<jack>

Hey, OP...you don't by any chance frequent any car forums, do you?
jamieching04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #18
michelle
(:

Bike: 2002 R6

A few, yes.
michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #19
Rriggs92
Yamaha R6

Bike: 07 r6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamzeppelin View Post
Sqaut down ass or back to the seat one hand on the lower handle bar, other hand on passenger peg or tail than lift with your legs.
This

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Rriggs92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #20
GenPatton
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy

Bike: 2007 R6 Rossi Replica

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle View Post
It's a 2002 R6, for reference. I'm 5'5"ish and considered myself to have some strength and muscle, but that was certainly tested today.
Do as gundam said ... it seems to be the technique everyone recommends, basically a squat.

Other thing you have to realize is that if you drop your bike, collect your thoughts! First time I ever dropped a bike, I couldn't budge the thing - mainly because I was freaking out. My buddy came over and just picked it right up for me.

Looking back, I realized I was just too focused on the fact that my bike was laying on its side to actually stop and give it any real effort or thought in picking it up.

At Adirondack Nationals in Lake George a couple years ago, I saw a shorter girl get on her FZ8 and it was on a slight hill, so she lost her footing and the bike fell on her. I ran over to help her, but since it was all car-crazy people there, nobody else seemed to care about the motorcyclist on the ground. I picked the bike up for her and besides a sore ankle (and her pride), she was on her way.

I think there will always be *someone* around to help you out, so you shouldn't worry about it .

BMC Race Filter | M4 Cat Delete | Termignoni Exhaust | Bazzaz Fuel Tuner | AGG Block-Off Plates
Fren Tubo Type 2 Lines | Integrated Tail | Rossi Replica Fairings |
OES Frame Sliders | AGG 10000K HIDs
CNC Tomok Mirrors | Lightech Quick Release Gas Cap
| GP Shift Setup | Shorty CNC Levers | Zero Gravity Screen
☼ March 2013 Ride of the Month
GenPatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement