gpr v4 leaking already? - Page 5 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Suspension settings

Old 11-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #41
Chad68
My other bike is a Tacoma

Bike: Bitchin' Blue 2012 R6
Re: gpr v4 leaking already?

Old thread, old issue, this particular seal issue was fixed I know but Makes one wonder did they use Chinese crap seals in other parts of the unit too and how well are those holding up over time. Any other parts outsourced to China as well?

I hate how the Scotts mounts to the bike and I hate the price of the Ohlins (had one once) but I am leaning towards a Scotts which I had before as well.

I mean really, outsourcing a freakin rubber seal (pennys on the dollar) is going to save the company millions?? LOL Not enough to cover a fraction of replacing all the units.

Objects in mirror are V-twins.

Today's post was brought to you by the letter R and the number 6.

Silly rabbit, tricks are for squids.

Last edited by Chad68; 11-27-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Chad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 05:36 AM   #42
Tdub
FastForward Performance

Bike: Honda Z50

GPR should have gone away a long time ago, but people who don't do their research just keep buying them and keeping them in business.
Tdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #43
gsxcorey
Riding his own ride...

They did have issues for sure and that is why we stopped selling them long ago. We recently brought them back as in the past few years we haven't seen too many issues and it appears they got it all fixed now. Back when this thread was started though there were issues. Once we saw things getting better we waiting a while to ensure it was all fixed before we brought the product line back. We truly try not to sell things we wouldln't use ourselves.

I wouldn't worry about the leaking issue now though as it appears it's fixed

Check us out on Facebook too.
gsxcorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #44
Chad68
My other bike is a Tacoma

Bike: Bitchin' Blue 2012 R6

Well time will tell, as I hate the ghetto mounting of the Scotts, I went with a GPR. I was almost at the point of flipping a coin. I still feel the Scotts internals are better than the GPR, as well as overall quality but their damn mounting setup just kills it for me.

I just know those frame bolt holes will somehow ending up stripped at some point in time and all of those freaking tiny set screws for the steering nut, ugh. I can just see on a hot ass summer day in direct sunlight, the blue locktite loosing and those 2 frame bolts moving around just enough to chew up the threads on the frame. However I did have a Scotts on a 2003 R1 for 5,000 miles with no issues, however that particular Scotts unit didn't require any frame drilling.

If the GPR leaks, it leaks. They seem to have good customer service. If anything else, at least this way I will have expierence with all 3 types/brands.

In a perfect world Scotts would stop trying to make one product fit every single bike on the planet by using that steering nut system on everything. If they insist on having people drill their frames, they should skip the whole tapping BS and use RIVNUTS! They didn't need to make their bracket require drilling. They could have made it the same way as the R1 I had, the way the ohlins is and similar to the GPR and just use one main bolt with the 'feet' on the bracket for support/stability.

I know TMI!

Objects in mirror are V-twins.

Today's post was brought to you by the letter R and the number 6.

Silly rabbit, tricks are for squids.
Chad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement