just Purchased Michelin Pilot 3 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Tire Tech Talk

Old 11-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
Kurs3dMartyr
My R6 eats me.

Exclamation 2000 r6 New Tires ride in rain help please

Hello. I just bought a 2000 R6 about 2 months ago. I also bought the pilot 3 front and back. I am thinking about taking them to a shop to have them mounted Tomorrow. the front tire is really worn down, I can live with the back tire it has 3/4 life left. Problem 1 it is beginning to rain here in California... I know it hardly rains... I need to drive it to work, school at least 40 miles a day, can not wait. I believe with all new tires one must take it easy and drive as you would in the rain, only here it will be raining! Does anyone know how to speed up the process? otherwise i will be driving with the same worn out front tire that has less than 1/4 inch thread!
someone told me Sanding them would possibly work, any thoughts help please

Last edited by Kurs3dMartyr; 11-27-2012 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Title wrong
Kurs3dMartyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 12:34 AM   #2
Eric10301
I eat my R6

Bike: 08 R6 Track Bike
Re: just Purchased Michelin Pilot 3

Just ride carefully with them for a day or so and get them scrubbed in. Some people act like new tires are death traps but they aren't.
Eric10301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
jeero
Go Big or Go Home

Bike: 2003 R6

Put the new pair on and just don't do any MotoGP style riding on the first day. After that you should be fine. Don't try to sand them down because you may do so unevenly by accident which will just cause you balancing problems at higher speeds.

Pro racers/track day riders often take off from pit lane while still having the stickers on the tires. After a couple laps they're good to go.

R6 Steam Group, It's public, join!
jeero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeero View Post
Put the new pair on and just don't do any MotoGP style riding on the first day. After that you should be fine. Don't try to sand them down because you may do so unevenly by accident which will just cause you balancing problems at higher speeds.

Pro racers/track day riders often take off from pit lane while still having the stickers on the tires. After a couple laps they're good to go.
This.

Sanding them ?? oh brother..

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement