ducati 848evo or panigale or stay with the 6?? - Page 5 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 11-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #41
mell0
My Bonneville eats me.

Bike: ST3R
Re: ducati 848evo or panigale or stay with the 6??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerebel View Post
If you seriously look at bikes and think about throwing away money.... Why do you even own one?

Bikes are not investments or something you buy to get $$$ back on. Bikes are a fcuking hobby and a money pit. I'm waiting to pay off my r6 to go get me a multistrada.... Sure, I can go buy a drz for a lot cheaper.... But why don't I? Because, I dig the Duc.... $$$ Doesn't even cross my mind when I shop for bikes. I get what I want and try to work a deal out and then I buy it lol.

If your budget doesn't allow for it, then Yeah, shop within your means. But I don't shop and think about how much am I going to get out of a $10-$20-$40 bike.... I shop for what I like.

So OP. get what ever you want bro. I personally didn't get a Duc when I was shopping due to the fear of me crashing it. Sure, I felt the same way with my R6 but.... It's not a Duc lol. maintenance scares me on the ducs as well but a buddy of mine that owns one said they aren't that bad if you do your own maintenance.... Luckily he offered to show me a couple of times on how to do the regular maintenance and the valve checks.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy riding more than anything else I do. $20,000 is just a LOT of cash IMO. I'm saying that for my use (a bit similar to what OP wants) I wouldn't enjoy that bike for what it's worth. I go on 9 hour rides and commute to work every day, absolutely enjoying the piss out of every second of it, something that doesn't warrant a $20,000 purebred race bike.

2013 Triumph Bonneville
2002 Procharged Mustang GT
mell0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #42
chosen01
Prostar

Bike: 2007 R6, 2012 BMW s1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellFire View Post
Take this from a guy that has owned a few bikes...nothing beats a Gixxer as a commuter/beater bike. 1199 is hot and 848 cooks well too (I have ridden both in an aggressive manner). 1199 needs to get it's kinks worked out before they can re-attack BMW, 848's bottom end is weak. My S1RR cuts corners like glass but my hands go numb every 5 minutes from vibrations. Plus the seat is horrid too.
I prefer my r6 to my s1000rr on most days. The r6 handles better and therefore is more confidence inspiring. Sure, the s1k blows the r6 away at a launch, but its not like a 600 is really a slouch 0-60 either. I dont mind the seat on the s1k, but maybe thats because I have a 2012 and as I understand it the seat was changed. What year is yours? Also, I agree the vibrations are annoying but I only get them between 6-7000 rpm or so, so I just cruise outside that range.

When I got my s1krr I thought I had outgrown my r6 and it was time for more powa, and I wanted a taste of all the tech advancements the new bikes have. I thought Id sell my r6 eventually because I figured Id be so enamoured with the BMW that the r6 would be a dust collector... but the BMW made me appreciate what an awesome machine the r6 really is. Admittedly, I am not comparing a stock r6 to the BMW but just thought Id add my 2c.

Oh, and get the Aprilia RSV4 APRC if you are set on an Italian. Its a much nicer machine than the Duc
Old 11-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #43
|/3|\|0|\/|
Dirt track racing!

Bike: 2008 YZF R6 LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxxEdge View Post
Do you guys recommending the HP4 know how much it costs???
I heard about 20.5K, or within that general range. I have also heard a Panigale S is in the 23K range. How accurate is that for new showroom floor prices? Anyone know?

Nobody sells anything Ducati within a two hour range of where I live. Haven't been out that way recently, but I did have the privilege to sit on, and twist the throttle on a running arctic white Panigale. That shit was good!

Only other Ducati experiences I really have are riding my friend's 750 IE a bunch of times, and riding a dealership's 748 S on a test drive. All good bikes in their own ways, hard to go wrong with a Ducati
|/3|\|0|\/| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:14 PM   #44
Pharaoh6
My R6 eats my money.

Bike: '09 R6

Some good comments here. If you're set on it, who cares about the money. YOLO for sure and enjoy life. Just get what you feel decently comfortable on and that you love to stare at man. Cheesy as it is, I stare at my bike a lot, and it NEVER get's old. Just love it too much and that's all that matters.

In the end they all do the same thing, but the Ducati's just do it a little sexier in stock form than most. Haha. The 6 will always be more nimble and probably more fun, but a second bike being a Ducati would be sick. The Panigale is way more comfortable than the 848 IMO, but they're both badass none the less.

Post up pics of what you get....stoked to see the pics! Cheers!
'09 - Carbon/matte-white wrap, BAUCE Racing ECU Flash, Dyno tuned (each cylinder), Brembo 19x18 Master Cylinder, Pazzo clutch/brembo replacement levers, AGGs tygon reservoir tubing front/rear, Woodcraft Clip-ons/Renthal Grips, Motion Pro Throttle Kit, EBC Front/Rear Contour XC Rotors, Front/Rear Galfer lines, Bohemian Rearsets, Scotts Damper, Arrow Race headers, Akrapovic titanium slip-on/ CF heat shields, PCV, K&N air filter, Supersprox-Stealth Sprockets(-1/+1), EK MVXZ 520 Chain, Healtech Glpro-X, Michelin Power Cups, AGG block-offs, AIS/CharcoalCan/Exup-Servo DELETE, Puig screen, GB Racing Case Covers(Ignition, Stator, Clutch), JPR Performance keyless gas cap, XT-Racing Mini Lap, Shorai battery, Greggs flushmounts, Stomp grips, Smoke hotbodies tail, Targa rear seat cowl, Graves brake return spring, HT Moto seat covers, BiXenon Projector Kit, Engine Ice, Motul 300v, Sliders, Leo Vince Dion Device.

Gear: AGV Pista GP, Arlen Ness Kangaroo suit/GP Gloves, AS Super Techs

Build Thread: Akrapovic Undertail http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181026

Pharaoh6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #45
QR6
PHX-602

Bike: 2007 R6

To me the Panigale is the sexiest bike out right now. Do I want to own one? Yes. Would I commute on it? No way. I don't think I could give up my R6 for anything else right now. Bikes are getting so ugly! The 848 looks pretty good once some Termi's get thrown on there. Stock cans hang out too far IMO. I have no idea how the two Ducs perform, but I sold my 748 since I couldn't afford the maintenance at the time. Never regretted owning that bike for one second.
ASMA #26 early retirement
My build thread:
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162286
http://instagram.com/gfk602

QR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:43 PM   #46
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

The maintenance costs are ridiculous and MUCH MUCH more frequent. The 5000 mile service involves a valve adjustment (at least on the 1198). It takes forever to be in the shop and is far from cheap. My pal took the ducati maintenance courses and still wouldn't do it. I think he sold it right before the 10k checkup.

PArts are twice the cost easily for the Ducs too. Total cost of ownership is incomparable.

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #47
BigShepp
Tron has corrupted me

Bike: 2005 R6 Raven "Deimos"
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFastDieLast View Post
4cy4Life
Look how many wins the Jap Bikes have on the Moto GP, then check the Italians.
I will never buy a Ducati. Like listed above RSV4 if I had to pick
Moto GP wins aside, the Panigale has 80hp more and 80 lbs less than my 05 R6. Then again, it costs four times as much as I have in my R6. Diminishing returns, as pickpocket once said.

I'd love to get one, but honestly, you could spend $24k in a lot better ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Proverbs 14:23

“Faster, Faster, Until The Thrill Of Speed Overcomes The Fear Of Death.”
Hunter S. Thompson

"It wasn't until I went to college and I got my first motorcycle that I understood the thrill of speed."
Vin Diesel
BigShepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:33 AM   #48
MaxxxEdge
Incredible M@xxxhole

Bike: Pasta & Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen01 View Post
Oh, and get the Aprilia RSV4 APRC if you are set on an Italian. Its a much nicer machine than the Duc
Subjective at best... I'd take any of my Ducs over a RSV4 or S1000RR... I'm considering a HP4, but it will not replace any of my Italian twins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by |/3|\|0|\/| View Post
I heard about 20.5K, or within that general range. I have also heard a Panigale S is in the 23K range. How accurate is that for new showroom floor prices? Anyone know?

Nobody sells anything Ducati within a two hour range of where I live. Haven't been out that way recently, but I did have the privilege to sit on, and twist the throttle on a running arctic white Panigale. That shit was good!

Only other Ducati experiences I really have are riding my friend's 750 IE a bunch of times, and riding a dealership's 748 S on a test drive. All good bikes in their own ways, hard to go wrong with a Ducati
$20-25K depending on package... it's easy to recommend a bike that costs a R6 more than a 848...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
The maintenance costs are ridiculous and MUCH MUCH more frequent. The 5000 mile service involves a valve adjustment (at least on the 1198). It takes forever to be in the shop and is far from cheap. My pal took the ducati maintenance courses and still wouldn't do it. I think he sold it right before the 10k checkup.

PArts are twice the cost easily for the Ducs too. Total cost of ownership is incomparable.
Says who? Check your facts, Chief... are you really sure there is a 5K service???

And who determines if your pal is a great wrench? I did NOT take the courses and can do a desmoquattro valve check/adjustment. And by the way, there is no scheduled 10K checkup either on the 1098/1198...

"Anal is just like riding a bicycle... Except without the seat." -Mark Spiegler

If you don't hang your balls out there and just do it, you'll never know what might have happened... -- Valentino Rossi

Unlike one made of concrete, the wall of adversity will eventually fall when we exert enough pressure. -- Max Edge

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. -- James Dean

sig courtesy of the mega-talented dboyslade
MaxxxEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:11 AM   #49
My94GT
Premium Member

all this talk of higher end bikes always makes me lust for an Aprilia RSV4

sig by milko
my build thread-
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152740
My94GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #50
R6_350z
Living The Dream

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6

i could spend 20k elsewhere but i dont want to

i know the 848 5k service is just oil change and look over everything..15k i think thats when the first valve adjustment is due?? thats what my friend with the 848 said..i know the new ducatis are way easier on maintenance than the old 749/999..i could still hear my friend crying about his 749r lol

but im looking at the 1199 and the f3/f4 tomorrow see which one feels best...hopefully i can make up my mind..so ready to go italian

MODS
- Shogun FS- Zero Gravity DB - Custom FE - Hot Bodies Flush Mounts - MotoDynamic Integrated Tail Light - Supersprox -1+2 - Taylormade Full Exhaust - PCV - OURY Grips - Corbin Seat - Ebay Shorty Levers

-Future Mods-
-Translogic MicroDash-Projectors-ASV Levers-GYTR Solo Seat- Bright Gold Carrozzeria Rims........

2011 ice silver metallic Audi A4
2004 350z(sold )

sig thanks to GIJoe007
R6_350z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement