So you wanna get a sportbike? - Page 23 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 11-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #221
benedicto
Premium Member

Re: So you wanna get a sportbike?

Wow these is very helpfull info. Too bad I bought my r6 already. I check craigslist and see if I can find something smaller before I wreck it.
benedicto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #222
I'm The New Guy.
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2003 R6 Streetfighter

Wish I had seen this before I bought my R6. Any tips on what to do/not do guys?
I'm The New Guy. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #223
EJ_R6Ryder
Metal Millitia

Bike: 2010 R6 Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm The New Guy. View Post
Wish I had seen this before I bought my R6. Any tips on what to do/not do guys?
Yeah... Don't wreck bro. J/k
But seriously, be careful with that throttle. Buy good gear, don't be cheap. All riders go down, so protect yourself for when it happens.

Take it slow, don't ride like an ass. The R6 will bite you in the ass if you fcuk up, but is such an amazing machine when you learn how to deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Old 01-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #224
I'm The New Guy.
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2003 R6 Streetfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_R6Ryder View Post
Yeah... Don't wreck bro. J/k
But seriously, be careful with that throttle. Buy good gear, don't be cheap. All riders go down, so protect yourself for when it happens.

Take it slow, don't ride like an ass. The R6 will bite you in the ass if you fcuk up, but is such an amazing machine when you learn how to deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
The way I took the post was I'm not going to learn how to ride properly, or I'm going to take alot longer to learn than if I was riding a smaller machine.
I'm definitely going to take my time, first thing I'm doing this spring is taking a class.
I'm The New Guy. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #225
nathanbn
My R6 eats me.

haha, that last paragraph was me... I kept hearing that a 600cc bike is a bad first bike... But my mind was already made up. I've had my r6 for almost a 2 years now though, and have not got into any accidents or dropped it. Maybe I am just lucky, but I am happy that I decided to just go for it.
nathanbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #226
tjs80
My R6 eats me.

Bike: '07 R6

My first bike was a 1980 Honda CM185 that my dad gave me in college haha. Then graduated to a ninja 250 for about a year. Riding those bikes definitely helped me learn a lot (along with taking an MSF class) especially when I had those newb moments. Finally went with the R6 and it's a great bike once I learned on the smaller ones. Great info in that article by the way.
"What I want is a motorcycle seat that recognizes my ass imprint. It would be spring loaded with barb-tipped steel spikes that would shoot thru the seat if it wasn't my ass on it. That would sell like hotcakes."
tjs80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #227
SeanAvery
My R6 eats me.

Yikes, I was thinking about getting an r6 for my first bike this summer. I intend on taking lessons, but that write up seemed to make more sense. For those who started off on a 250/300cc bike, how long did it take you guys to make the jump to a faster bike?

Where I live i'll only be able to ride it 3 months out of the year, if i'm lucky 4 months. So I wouldn't be able to get a full year under my belt right away.
SeanAvery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #228
DavidG
Space For Rent

Bike: 04 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanAvery View Post
Yikes, I was thinking about getting an r6 for my first bike this summer. I intend on taking lessons, but that write up seemed to make more sense. For those who started off on a 250/300cc bike, how long did it take you guys to make the jump to a faster bike?

Where I live i'll only be able to ride it 3 months out of the year, if i'm lucky 4 months. So I wouldn't be able to get a full year under my belt right away.
I had my 250 about 8 months, but a good bit of that was winter. I live in a warm place though, so I got it out once or twice a month at least. I honestly kind of miss my 250. It was, to an un-describable amount, more forgiving. It personally had more fun going full on in corners and just not worrying about throttle, wheel spin, or exit speed as much. A 600cc bike is an absolute beast. I strongly feel that people who start on a fast bike don't even realize what they have.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:28 PM   #229
Matt607

berry good info
Matt607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #230
DaisyRay03
My R6 eats me.

Hi everyone. I started out on a 2003 Gixxer600 for my first bike. However, it was lowered and inch and stretched 10inches. I want to get an R6, but I don't know how much different it will be from the Gixxer. I don't know how much the stretching affected my handling. Please post your opinions! Also, I'm very responsible. I'm not some idiot that does wheelies on a busy highway. (Sorry, but if you do that, you're an idiot. Don't be stupid.) Anyway, much appreciated guys!

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
DaisyRay03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement