Lower Front End Help : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Appearance and Exterior Mods

Old 11-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
Skitch
Keep Calm and Chive On!

Lower Front End Help

Ok so I'm rather new here but I am looking for some help on lowering the front of my 03 R6. I do NOT want to change the geometry of my bike as I realize that will change my handling. I've heard lowering can mess up your bike and lead to speed wobbles - don't want that!

So, I want to lower the front for looks - I feel like the fairings don't cover enough of the forks leaving the bike open in the front. I like the look of the 2nd gen R6's lowered in the front as it closes that open space. If I lower the bike 1" - 2" in the front - will lowering the rear 1" - 2" keep the geometry and handling of the stock bike height?

Also, haven't looked into lowering too much yet so I'm not sure of the whole process. How much work is involved in lowering?
Skitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
S3aturnR
track junkie

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6
Re: Lower Front End Help

what you're talking about will dramatically change the geometry and handling of your bike. you should leave it alone unless you're just for show.

if you're just street riding this bike, it almost doesn't matter if you lower it or not; you'll be going way too slow to notice that the bike now handles like shit. pretty much any way you do it, whether it's lowering the front, the rear or both, it's a recipe for terrible handling.

speed wobbles happen when you have too much input on the bars under hard acceleration. it's possible for a rider to tense-up and cause a head shake no matter how the bike is set up. in almost every case it's the rider, not the bike.

s3aturnr

Last edited by S3aturnR; 11-27-2012 at 08:20 PM.
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
Skitch
Keep Calm and Chive On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3aturnR View Post
what you're talking about will dramatically change the geometry and handling of your bike. you should leave it alone unless you're just for show.

if you're just street riding this bike, it almost doesn't matter if you lower it or not; you'll be going way too slow to notice that the bike now handles like shit. pretty much any way you do it, whether it's lowering the front, the rear or both, it's a recipe for terrible handling.

speed wobbles happen when you have too much input on the bars under hard acceleration. it's possible for a rider to tense-up and cause a head shake no matter how the bike is set up. in almost every case it's the rider, not the bike.

s3aturnr
Thanks for the info! I was thinking that may be the case - I was just hoping that if I lowered the rear the same distance as the front it would keep the geometry in tact. Guess I'll just need to refocus my efforts for other appearance mods this winter... I hate not riding.
Skitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:26 AM   #4
banokmichaei
My R6 eats me.

how the bike is set up. in almost every case it's the rider, not the bike.