Official "GP Style Shifting" count - Page 2 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 11-29-2012, 06:50 AM   #11
danaatscootdotnet
www.1seven1.com

Re: Official "GP Style Shifting" count

Yup. GP and a QS FTW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 06:51 AM   #12
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

GP Shift is overrated in my opinion.. yes, upshifts are easier, but a false neutral will turn your entire day to crap. Downshifts are easier with standard shift and you are much less likely to get a false neutral. Saying upshifts are easier with gp is not really a valid argument to make the change because the downshifts will not be as positive.

If you like it and don't have issues? great! There is the benefit of easier upshifts, especially the occasional corner you need to upshift still leaned over. But do NOT buy into the "i have to gp shift" if you are considering riding at the track. I will agree gp shift is more the "norm" for racing, but is not 100% across the board. Some noteworthy racers used standard shift, namely Matt Mladin and Troy Bayliss (so i have read, i never asked them..lol).

I ride/race dirt bikes 20 hours a month, and have roadraced almost a decade with standard. I can gp shift when i ride on endurance teams with bikes set up for it, but i prefer standard.
IF you are gonna switch to gp shift, i suggest riding your street bike for a week or more with it that way BEFORE you go to the track. If you downshift when you were supposed to upshift, the rev limiter will not help, the rpms could go above the rev limit, and valves can float causing them to make contact with the pistons. Or, the rider behind you might run into you as you suddenly slow .. or you crash when you do this in a corner partly leaned over. (these are the worst things).
So practice before you go to the track and put yourself and others in danger ..

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee

Last edited by MELK-MAN; 11-29-2012 at 06:56 AM.
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:08 AM   #13
Tdub
FastForward Performance

Bike: Honda Z50

Thi is just an observation on my part as I do not ride. When you are upshifting you are most likely in a full tuck or hanging off in the corner where it seems to tap down on the shifter would be more natural and less awkward. Whereas when you are downshifting the majority of the time you are sitting more upright preparing to corner, where the lifting of the shifter would seem less awkward.
Again jmo and as Greg stated, personal preference rules.
Tdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:09 AM   #14
franknguyen
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 07 R6

Where's the poll?
franknguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #15
gonzotheman
I eat my R6

Bike: 1981 CX500C 2012 Blue R6
Didn't realize flipping the shift rod was that easy. I'm assuming this works for the 08-12 r6 bikes? If so i think I'll give it a try to see how it is/get used to it before my first track day next season.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com App
gonzotheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #16
bryan j
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotheman View Post
Didn't realize flipping the shift rod was that easy. I'm assuming this works for the 08-12 r6 bikes? If so i think I'll give it a try to see how it is/get used to it before my first track day next season.

Yup just flip the shit rod link thing 180*

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
bryan j is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #17
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotheman View Post

and 2nd gen and 3rd gen r6 can have the arm reversed and flipped backwards. pretty sure you must do both to have it clear, as well as running the shift arm outside the frame.

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:46 AM   #18
Rocky5000100
I eat my R6

Bike: 2003 Track SV650, 05 R6
Yea my 2002 can't just be flipped due to clearance issues

But I've ordered the woodcraft gp shift rod for $25 to try out go shifting next year. The downshifts are what concern me though, like melkman was talking about.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #19
gonzotheman
I eat my R6

Bike: 1981 CX500C 2012 Blue R6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
and 2nd gen and 3rd gen r6 can have the arm reversed and flipped backwards. pretty sure you must do both to have it clear, as well as running the shift arm outside the frame.
Awesome can't wait to try it out. I'm hoping to pick up some woodcraft rearsets over the winter

gonzotheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #20
R-Silaxin
Track=Cocaine

Bike: 06 R-6 Deathraven
GP as well... Been that way for years...
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL https://www.youtube.com/user/adam2cox
MY FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...79&ref=tn_tnmn

MY XBL GAMERTAG: AmericanGingers
R-Silaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement