ducati 848evo or panigale or stay with the 6?? - Page 8 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 11-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #71
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6
Re: ducati 848evo or panigale or stay with the 6??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxxEdge View Post
Subjective at best... I'd take any of my Ducs over a RSV4 or S1000RR... I'm considering a HP4, but it will not replace any of my Italian twins...

$20-25K depending on package... it's easy to recommend a bike that costs a R6 more than a 848...

Says who? Check your facts, Chief... are you really sure there is a 5K service???

And who determines if your pal is a great wrench? I did NOT take the courses and can do a desmoquattro valve check/adjustment. And by the way, there is no scheduled 10K checkup either on the 1098/1198...
Well, then the dealership musta had him by the BALLS!!!

He told me there was a 5000 mile and it was every 5k. He even took a class to learn how to do it or something along those lines. I'll take your word for it tho, cause round here the stealerships are truly that.

Either way, when the radiator failed on it, that was WEEKS of sitting at the dealer. Took WEEKS to get a replacement seat cowl when the cover on his flew clean off!

Then after 8500 miles we goto put in the aftermarket slipper clutch to find TONS of teeth ground off the basket. That was that! This is the one I posted pics of a while ago that had the superbike internals in the forks, TTX out back, everything else I ever dreamed of on a bike as well!

All I know is it gave him mileage phobia after a while!

What a ride it was with some race compound Power 1's in the summer heat!

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #72
x0ny
Shooo Sheff

Bike: 07&05 Raven, 08 DRZ400SM

just be careful of the 848... gf gets extremely jealous of it. Unless youre single then youre good to go.
08 DRZ400SM - Sold
05 GSXR750 - Sold
01 R6 - Sold
04 GSXR600 - Sold
88 FZ750 - Sold
x0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #73
LiveFastDieLast
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 09 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05-RSexy View Post
Throw the KTM in the mix.

Can be found cheap now. And if you dont mind messing with italian bikes, you wont mind an austrian one.

5000KM's on mine, nary a problem. Besides the infamous oil leak from the filler tube.

Have to say though, the Japs make a good tranny. (in every way possible that could mean )
I see your current ride.!! Sick

Keep your Knees in the Breeze
"Only two types of Whiskey I don't like, Dick and Throttle" - A Wise Man.
LiveFastDieLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #74
HellFire
I have a dig bick...

Bike: '12 Panigale S w/ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
The maintenance costs are ridiculous and MUCH MUCH more frequent. The 5000 mile service involves a valve adjustment (at least on the 1198). It takes forever to be in the shop and is far from cheap. My pal took the ducati maintenance courses and still wouldn't do it. I think he sold it right before the 10k checkup.

PArts are twice the cost easily for the Ducs too. Total cost of ownership is incomparable.
Ducati is offering free maintenance for the life span of the warranty, all inclusive package. Wet clutch means longer life and valves adjustments every 3rd weekend are history.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen01 View Post
I prefer my r6 to my s1000rr on most days. The r6 handles better and therefore is more confidence inspiring. Sure, the s1k blows the r6 away at a launch, but its not like a 600 is really a slouch 0-60 either. I dont mind the seat on the s1k, but maybe thats because I have a 2012 and as I understand it the seat was changed. What year is yours? Also, I agree the vibrations are annoying but I only get them between 6-7000 rpm or so, so I just cruise outside that range.

When I got my s1krr I thought I had outgrown my r6 and it was time for more powa, and I wanted a taste of all the tech advancements the new bikes have. I thought Id sell my r6 eventually because I figured Id be so enamoured with the BMW that the r6 would be a dust collector... but the BMW made me appreciate what an awesome machine the r6 really is. Admittedly, I am not comparing a stock r6 to the BMW but just thought Id add my 2c.

Oh, and get the Aprilia RSV4 APRC if you are set on an Italian. Its a much nicer machine than the Duc
Mine is '11 with Ohlins catalog thrown at it, therefore suspension is super stiff. Maybe I should settle for a Sargent seat and quit my bitching.
Quote:
Do you guys recommending the HP4 know how much it costs???
HP4 is not worth it. SuperBike did a full review on their new suspension get up, while it is good step forward, it is still no Ohlins. Launch control would be cool though.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #75
05-RSexy
My KTM is partly Orange

Bike: '10 RC8R

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFastDieLast View Post
I see your current ride.!! Sick

I have the 2010 R. Personally, I like the look of the 09/10 better than the 11+. Has better wheels as well.

As for engine difference the new 11+ doesnt really mater, just twin spark plugs, which they dont use on race motors anyways they use the 09/10 engines.

Id have to believe in every way possible its a direct competitor to the 1198 / 99. Never riden a ducati (do monsters count? I didnt think so) but I gave the underdog a chance, ended up loving it. Fun bike for sure.

Current Ride: 2010 KTM RC8R
05-RSexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #76
MaxxxEdge
Incredible M@xxxhole

Bike: Pasta & Rice

Quote:
I have the 2010 R. Personally, I like the look of the 09/10 better than the 11+. Has better wheels as well.

As for engine difference the new 11+ doesnt really mater, just twin spark plugs, which they dont use on race motors anyways they use the 09/10 engines.

Id have to believe in every way possible its a direct competitor to the 1198 / 99. Never riden a ducati (do monsters count? I didnt think so) but I gave the underdog a chance, ended up loving it. Fun bike for sure.
I've ridden the RC8, RC8R, and all the variations of the 1098/1198... KTM is a cool bike for sure, but depends on what you mean by "direct competitor"... from a performance standpoint, Ducati's prevail...

"Anal is just like riding a bicycle... Except without the seat." -Mark Spiegler

If you don't hang your balls out there and just do it, you'll never know what might have happened... -- Valentino Rossi

Unlike one made of concrete, the wall of adversity will eventually fall when we exert enough pressure. -- Max Edge

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. -- James Dean

sig courtesy of the mega-talented dboyslade
MaxxxEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #77
2004R6Rider
Ride Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisdeadrideblue View Post
Personally, for a commuter bike, Id probably get an FZ1.
This.

I don't think I can think of a better combination of performance, comfort, practicality, and looks.

But OP, you seem to have your mind made up as far as sticking to a supersport. If price or comfort aren't factors, get the bike that makes your heart beat the fastest. Who cares if the 1199 is overkill? If you truly love the machine, buy it and be careful. Or, if your heart is with your R6, screw the Ducs.
2004R6Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #78
R6_350z
Living The Dream

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6

i think ima wait if i decide to get the 1199 and give ducati time to work out all the current issues it has and get a 2nd gen.....he also said look at the 848 evo way less money and gives me extra cash to do whatever i want with it....i like the rc8 but at the same time i dont wouldnt get one though just not for me....im 99% sure im going with a ducati next for sure but im just not sure how feel about the mv agusta yet well see...def keep you guys posted with whatever choice i make

thanks for everyones thoughts and suggestions!

MODS
- Shogun FS- Zero Gravity DB - Custom FE - Hot Bodies Flush Mounts - MotoDynamic Integrated Tail Light - Supersprox -1+2 - Taylormade Full Exhaust - PCV - OURY Grips - Corbin Seat - Ebay Shorty Levers

-Future Mods-
-Translogic MicroDash-Projectors-ASV Levers-GYTR Solo Seat- Bright Gold Carrozzeria Rims........

2011 ice silver metallic Audi A4
2004 350z(sold )

sig thanks to GIJoe007
R6_350z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #79
05-RSexy
My KTM is partly Orange

Bike: '10 RC8R

Quote:
I've ridden the RC8, RC8R, and all the variations of the 1098/1198... KTM is a cool bike for sure, but depends on what you mean by "direct competitor"... from a performance standpoint, Ducati's prevail...
Sure....but we have zero tracks up here in western canada so track riding is out of the question, where youd actually feel a difference.

From a POV of street riding....I dont think it matters which one...KTM or DUCK, youre losing your license having any fun at all. For street riding, either one will get you a thumbs up or tons of compliments. More than enough for the 30 mph youre allowed to travel.

Current Ride: 2010 KTM RC8R
05-RSexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #80
Sammy Bono
MY MV EATS MY R6

Bike: The kind you pedal

Quote:
Sure....but we have zero tracks up here in western canada so track riding is out of the question, where youd actually feel a difference.

From a POV of street riding....I dont think it matters which one...KTM or DUCK, youre losing your license having any fun at all. For street riding, either one will get you a thumbs up or tons of compliments. More than enough for the 30 mph youre allowed to travel.
Really no tracks up there?

on a different subject I bet I could let your avatar feel the difference