Idle issues : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Garage / Mechanical Help

Old 12-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
Lucky3623
Official Thread Killer

Bike: 07 R6
Idle issues

At idle, she will sit around 1200 +/- 200 rpm (IIRC, could be off), but about every couple of seconds or so, I feel a hard tick, and idle drops to under 1k for a split second then bounces right back up. On early morning starts, I let her warm up to operating temp, and take off. I get down the street and every few days, when I stop at the stop sign at the end of my street, she dies. But she always starts right back up...

I was thinking possibly a bad valve or timing is off, but not sure. Any help would be awesome.

-- There's a creepy old man and he's fishing in the part, but the only problem is... He tied a candy bar to the end of his line and he's trying to catch a kid!

°rz*
Lucky3623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
ttinker
My R6 eats me.

Bike: '04 YZF-R6
Re: Idle issues

Same or similar issue tonight. Idle on my bike was fluctuating around 1000rpm constantly when stopped and twice it just shut off as I had the clutch in and was downshifting to first and I rolled to the stop line. Started right back up, but still. That fluctuating idle made the launch from stop a bit sketchy, especially compared to what I'm used to with the SV.
ttinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
Lucky3623
Official Thread Killer

Bike: 07 R6

Ok so from what I have read/seen, the TPS is dead, or dirty, or needs adjustment... My next step is to hit the Diag mode on the bike and see if she throws any codes.

ttinker, hope that helps.

-- There's a creepy old man and he's fishing in the part, but the only problem is... He tied a candy bar to the end of his line and he's trying to catch a kid!

°rz*
Lucky3623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky3623 View Post
Ok so from what I have read/seen, the TPS is dead, or dirty, or needs adjustment... My next step is to hit the Diag mode on the bike and see if she throws any codes.

ttinker, hope that helps.
there is a sticky for how to get the gauge into diag mode, and what values to look for. When it "throws a code" those are values you need to pay attention to, they may NOT be a problem, they are simply showing you values for a variety of things like air temp, coolant temp, and a VARIETY of throttle position codes. there are at least 3 you need to check, and you check them with throttle closed AND open, while watching the numbers sweep up and down. your manual will show all these codes.

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement