Intermediate pace track tire : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Tire Tech Talk

Old 12-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
Panici
Knee drags YOU!

Bike: '05 R6 + Vintage Yamahas
Intermediate pace track tire

Hey guys,

On my last TD, I had two(!) crashes in the same day.
In both cases I tucked the front tire, and have determined it was due to tires.

BT-003RS, with 3 years of use, and 2 years of warmers. The track I usually ride is slow and thus I still have plenty of tread left. I guess the tires are just 'hard' after so much time.

=====

Anyways, I run a slow intermediate pace when taking my time, and a fast intermediate when pushing. Suggestions for tires to be used with warmers?

I usually get 3-5 trackdays in per year, so hopefully these will last me at least two years.

Cheers,
Kelvyn

EDIT:
Due to extenuating circumstances, I didn't get a chance to ride at all last summer.

So I'm still looking for a new set of tires.
Two years later, is there any better tires I should be buying?

I'm probably back to fast beginner/slow intermediate pace after not riding for so long. I'll be using my warmers.

A few vintage Yamaha bikes

Last edited by Panici; 04-09-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Panici is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6
Re: Intermediate pace track tire

Supercorsa SP. Warmers optional. You'll get around in the wet if need be. Otherwise TD slicks if it doesn't rain ever where you are.

I've turned lap times on power pures that are good enough to run in the race and expert group.

And FWIW, nobody who's fast has anything nice to say about the tires you run. The sidewalls blow. Front end feel is meteocre, etc.

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
danaatscootdotnet
www.1seven1.com

I raced last season on the SS spec tire, the Dunlop 211GPA. I was pretty damned impressed. They wear REALLY well, especially the fronts. I only used 3 fronts all season.

http://dunlopracing.com
Old 12-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
Mac7504
Belly on rotund

Bike: 08 R6(S)exy + 08 R6LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panici View Post
Hey guys,

On my last TD, I had two(!) crashes in the same day.
In both cases I tucked the front tire, and have determined it was due to tires.

BT-003RS, with 3 years of use, and 2 years of warmers. The track I usually ride is slow and thus I still have plenty of tread left. I guess the tires are just 'hard' after so much time.

=====

Anyways, I run a slow intermediate pace when taking my time, and a fast intermediate when pushing. Suggestions for tires to be used with warmers?

I usually get 3-5 trackdays in per year, so hopefully these will last me at least two years.

Cheers,
Kelvyn
I thought slicks and race dots are limited to a certain number of heat cycles? Two year heat cycles sounds like a bunch, at least to me...
Mac7504 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
Panici
Knee drags YOU!

Bike: '05 R6 + Vintage Yamahas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac7504 View Post
I thought slicks and race dots are limited to a certain number of heat cycles? Two year heat cycles sounds like a bunch, at least to me...
The BT003-RS is still a street tire

Suggestions so far:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
Supercorsa SP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danaatscootdotnet View Post
Dunlop 211GPA.

A few vintage Yamaha bikes
Panici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
Mac7504
Belly on rotund

Bike: 08 R6(S)exy + 08 R6LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panici View Post
The BT003-RS is still a street tire
Ahhh, that's your problem...lol jk jk.
Mac7504 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaatscootdotnet View Post
I raced last season on the SS spec tire, the Dunlop 211GPA. I was pretty damned impressed. They wear REALLY well, especially the fronts. I only used 3 fronts all season.

http://dunlopracing.com
That's far from an intermediate tire. It requires warmers. There's no option on that. Ask how I know...

And they heat cycle terribly. The best laps you'll ever get on the 211 AMA spec tires is your 2-4th laps. After that, it's up in the air. I've got a heap of em with 25 laps on em with the AMA tech stickers still on em. They are heavy and pretty god damn square shaped too.

Compare that to the UK front which looks like a god damn power cup V and just scratch your head..

They are the last tire on my list and are certainly not an intermediate track day tire. Not even considering the additional work on the suspension from the hard ass carcass you can use as a fcuking chair to sit on without it even being on a rim. Slicks are the fastest for a reason, not cause they barely flex and offer little contact patch, etc.. The GPA's, ntecs, D211's all are not the best race tire IMO and that's pretty much what every other AMA rider had to say when I asked!

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
theturtle7023
Theturtle7023

Bike: 2007 R6S, 2007 R6R

Michelin Power One. No warmers needed, and not advised as they have some type of sylica technology that makes them warm up fast. I did about 10 trackdays on them this year at very upper intermediate pace, and didn't go through a single front completely. Went through 3 rears but that is mainly because of the super abrasive track I was on.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
Agg2001
Original Member-Vendor

Bike: 2007 R6, 2005 CRF250r
Send a message via AIM to Agg2001 Send a message via MSN to Agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to Agg2001

how has no one said the pirelli superbike pro slick? can be used with or without warmers, and last a STUPID amount of time. jtolles was running advanced pace on them and they never slipped at all - and i was on my ntecs. granted, mine never slipped either, but he was still slightly faster, that bastard.

High-end, AFFORDABLE, parts and accessories for your bike!

ALWAYS free shipping to the USA, with 1-3 day delivery times.

Agg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
BaoPee
Prof AZN Lowballer

Bike: R6 (Track)

^^^lose some weight perhaps??
BaoPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement