Graves Progessive throttle tube... - Page 2 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Track Tech & Riding Techniques

Old 02-19-2011, 02:50 AM   #11
luke geis
crashing aint so bad

Bike: 2005 red r6
Re: Graves Progessive throttle tube...

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomach View Post
Though it may be overpriced for what it accomplishes, it's not really overpriced for the part. It's machined out of aluminum and I know that part takes more to machine than the clip-ons people are buying for $150+ a set. Then when you figure in the low qty being produced and sold they have to price it higher
I'm surprised it is actually made of aluminum, even still, the price is unacceptable. The Yoyodine Euro design ( The model which I purchased as well ) is the same price, is made entirely of aluminum and the cams are all billet. The inner sleeve of the throttle tube is even teflon coated. This doesn't even touch, that the kit comes with several cams for just about any ratio one could desire and a brand new cable kit that is specific to your bike.

Link to YoYo kit:

http://www.yoyodyneti.com/ProductInf...oductid=E80061

and a motion pro kit:

http://www.motostrano.com/moprorequtut.html

The Graves unit, regardless of what it's made of, is WAY overpriced. To the degree that it isn't even realistic to assume that anyone would be like, " this is a great deal ", at all. It's not even on this planet, it's so far off. Now if they sold it for around $50 - $80 then we have something to consider. But when I can go out all day and get throttle tubes for my bike at $25 a pop, I can't consider a modified part that will cost me 5X that. Especially when the competition is offering 3X more at nearly the same price.

I like Graves and I think they make great parts. I just feel that the bean counters for this part did the math wrong. Somewhere they added and extra $50 bucks or more and didn't care. It's nearly insulting to the buying public to be that bold. We know that the part is not hand made and is easily replicated. Even if made in small quantities it should still not be that high priced. Wait on this part a bit, perhaps in a year or two it will come down in price?

Last edited by luke geis; 02-19-2011 at 02:54 AM.
luke geis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #12
JTNYC
I eat my R6

I agree that the Graves part is way too expensive, but it's not an apple to apple comparison with the other kits. Those other kits are not really the same since they only provide a faster, but constant roll rate; whereas the Graves is a "progressive" cam, so the more you roll the quick the rate.

I guess Graves is charging for their "expertise" and design for coming out with the custom cam profile, too...
JTNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #13
SpidermanSS
The GodFather

Bike: R1 - R6 - YZF's

Thanks for the feedback on the product. Our pricing is based on the amount of time pieces spend in the cnc machines and in the production process. If this was a high demand part that thousands would purchase the pricing would go down based on mass production but until then they are high end and high quality pieces produced in low volume to fill a "nitch" that our team race bikes and some of our racing customers need.

I hope you enjoyed some bits and pieces of our race shop.

Shane McCoy
Graves Motorsports

www.gravesport.com / www.r1-forum.com / www.r6-forum.com

YAMAHA EVERYWHERE!

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN

KILO 3483 I miss YOU! In Memory of : fastblueR1 : K_FleXXX : GLENN "ELVIS" : Gawarrior I miss YOU!

Twitter: @SpidermanSS

DEALS GAP 2011 R1 + R6 + Convention - Sign UP Thread!
SpidermanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:12 PM   #14
AHCHIU
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 04 R6, 06 FJR1300A

I have a G2 Throttle Tamer on my FJR and R6. $80.00

http://www.g2ergo.com/riders/
06 FJR1300A

Previous Bikes:
00 Honda ST1100
97 Triumph Tiger
82 Suzuki GS1100E
AHCHIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #15
Chica
My R6 eats me.

Bike: R6 '99&'12, CBR 600RR '07

Does anyone have a picture of the Graves throttle tube from these prospective:

I'd like to make a similar one by myself, but, I can't get the shape and mesuarments from the pictures published online, because non of then is even close to peripendicular to the cam profile. It's always picured just form the sides :/

Thanks in advance!
Chica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #16
SpidermanSS
The GodFather

Bike: R1 - R6 - YZF's

Um no... please buy it...

www.gravesport.com / www.r1-forum.com / www.r6-forum.com

YAMAHA EVERYWHERE!

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN

KILO 3483 I miss YOU! In Memory of : fastblueR1 : K_FleXXX : GLENN "ELVIS" : Gawarrior I miss YOU!

Twitter: @SpidermanSS

DEALS GAP 2011 R1 + R6 + Convention - Sign UP Thread!
SpidermanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #17
Mac7504
Belly on rotund

Bike: 08 R6(S)exy + 08 R6LE

I wanted to install one of those quick throttle kits, but I've heard you have to connect a cable or two to the throttle bodies, which I've also heard in a huge PITA!
Mac7504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #18
Fallis
Meh

Bike: 05 R6 Track, 09 R1, Strom

Attaching / detaching the throttle cables is fiddly and frustrating, but it's not brain surgery, and there's nothing you can really mess up. That said - buy less stuff. Do more track days. Seat time is the best mod.
Fallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #19
Tdub
FastForward Performance

Bike: Honda Z50

You guys seem to discount the R&D that goes into a part like this. I am sure it is the exact same part they are using on their AMA bikes, so they just didn't dream up the specs and glue a bunch of zip ties together. R&D isn't cheap in anything you do.

BTW, I hate the term "return" cable...it is a liability killer, nothing more.
Tdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #20
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac7504 View Post
I wanted to install one of those quick throttle kits, but I've heard you have to connect a cable or two to the throttle bodies, which I've also heard in a huge PITA!

with the airbox off , attaching cables to the throttle body is quite easy really.

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement