Number of Track Days - Page 8 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

View Poll Results: How many track days have you done?
1-5 24 38.10%
5-10 10 15.87%
10-20 13 20.63%
20+ 16 25.40%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #71
JShep720
I eat my R6

Bike: 2007 R6
Re: Number of Track Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by theturtle7023 View Post
I thought you were "sponsored" by heroic. I figured that meant a free suit. Oh, and the gf is supportive, she just gets pissed that I "leave her" every weekend for the track since she moved to VA Beach with me and doesn't know anyone even though I tell her to come with me. My xmas this year is a full throttle membership, and stacks and stacks of tires from her and her family. Her tune about Jennings quickly changed when I said, "I'm not going to stop going to the track, and if you ever want a ring, you better get used to it."
haha, glad you got her to see the 'light'. The sponsorship from HEROIC is great but nothing in life is free. Too good of a situation to pass up on though, hence still happening regardless but I wanted to use more cash towards other things too like tires. We can talk more offline if you want

CCS #720 Expert
2007 R6
TPM COACH #720
Team Pro-Motion Sportbike Club - Trackdays/Races
MRP Motorsports www.mrpmotorsports.com
Moto-D Racing www.motodracing.com
EVIL Powder Coating www.evilpowdercoating.com
JShep720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #72
pickpocket293
iRun

Bike: Sold off in pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShep720 View Post
Hopefully I don't come across in the wrong way but I completely disagree with your train of thought. You have every right to feel this way though. Organizations provide the open TD format to allow those people the opportunity to have more quality tracktime to practice for everything from endurance races, bike setup, or just simply get more track time in a short amount of time to increase your learning curve. As an instructor I know VERY well that it is VERY possible to pass safely around slower riders(Int) even running at an AMA pace out there. You will not run your best laptimes running around slower people in this situation but that is not the purpose of those days. Anyone passing like an asshole should not be in Int OR Adv to be honest as everyone should have the courtesy and skill to pass safely no matter the pace.

Just my 2 cents.

PS - Most Track org DOES run occasional days that mix groups. Like I said before they do so in a matter that limits the number of riders to fewer than normal to avoid what you 'think' is going to happen. Even though you obviously do not have the first hand knowledge to talk intelligently about how it would turn out.
I've done mixed days before, and they were fine... For the reasons you stated. There were only 20 riders at the track for the whole day. BHF will attract more than that many riders for sure though, and even IF people behave themselves it'll be crowded as shit. At 50% more expensive than the normal day, I won't be making the drive for that org.

Don't jump to conclusions about me broseph. I only speak when I can speak intelligently.

Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s? HERE
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250? HERE
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer? HERE
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz? HERE
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH? HERE
  • How does rotating mass work? HERE
pickpocket293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #73
R-Silaxin
Track=Cocaine

Bike: 06 R-6 Deathraven
Crack is whack, the track is where it's at!

Like Scott was saying, open trackdays are a blast, and really not An issue. The experts and fast amateurs pass with ease and everyone hss a blast. You can go out whenever you want, for as long as you want. I can slso hop in behind faster guys and pick up on their braking points, entry speed and where/how they apex a turn. Truth be told, never been To a track with sessions. I def like the freedom...

P.S.
My new fav thread!

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL https://www.youtube.com/user/adam2cox
MY FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...79&ref=tn_tnmn

MY XBL GAMERTAG: AmericanGingers
R-Silaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #74
JShep720
I eat my R6

Bike: 2007 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpocket293 View Post
I've done mixed days before, and they were fine... For the reasons you stated. There were only 20 riders at the track for the whole day. BHF will attract more than that many riders for sure though, and even IF people behave themselves it'll be crowded as shit. At 50% more expensive than the normal day, I won't be making the drive for that org.

Don't jump to conclusions about me broseph. I only speak when I can speak intelligently.

Gotcha, sounds like an open format day is in order with a different ORG if its possible for you given your area and travel time. It always sucks to have an overly crowded TD regardless of whether it is an open format or with sessions. It is never fun or safe IMO.

There is a different local ORG here in DC that does not limit group numbers and sells as many spots as possible to make their $$. For that reason they have been deemed as the "Wild Wild West" and I have chose to not ride with them. I hope you find a way to get to an open day and can enjoy it since those are by far my favorite.

CCS #720 Expert
2007 R6
TPM COACH #720
Team Pro-Motion Sportbike Club - Trackdays/Races
MRP Motorsports www.mrpmotorsports.com
Moto-D Racing www.motodracing.com
EVIL Powder Coating www.evilpowdercoating.com
JShep720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #75
Fallis
Meh

Bike: 05 R6 Track, 09 R1, Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HER6 View Post
Was that at Chuckwalla? I heard about the no session days. The idea scares me be I have heard good things about it from the people brave enough to try it!
Yup. SocalTrackdays. There's really nothing to be scared of. I was totally spooked the morning of, walking through the pits with all the race teams out and such - once I got on track it was really no big deal though.
Fallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #76
HER6
Needs more stars

Bike: 2005 R6, 2006 DRZ400 SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
Yup. SocalTrackdays. There's really nothing to be scared of. I was totally spooked the morning of, walking through the pits with all the race teams out and such - once I got on track it was really no big deal though.
I think I would be more comfortable at a track I knew well and was running in intermediate group. But since I have yet to try Chuckwalla (and will run novice group my first day out) it make it just that much more intimidating.

Maybe I will give it a try someday.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #77
HER6
Needs more stars

It also took me a long time to feel ready for intermediate but now that I am there I feel so much more comfortable.

I am a worrier.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #78
Fallis
Meh

Bike: 05 R6 Track, 09 R1, Strom

Quote:
It also took me a long time to feel ready for intermediate but now that I am there I feel so much more comfortable.

I am a worrier.
You'll likely get a lot more out of it if you're already familiar with the track and have found your pace. It's obviously a lot harder to ride clean and hold your line when you don't know what your line is yet.

We need to throw together a master list of So. Cal. track days once all the schedules are out, and plan out some R6 Forum get togethers.
Fallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #79
HER6
Needs more stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
You'll likely get a lot more out of it if you're already familiar with the track and have found your pace. It's obviously a lot harder to ride clean and hold your line when you don't know what your line is yet.

We need to throw together a master list of So. Cal. track days once all the schedules are out, and plan out some R6 Forum get togethers.
Someone made One. Search SoCal track days. I would link it but I am on my phone.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #80
S3aturnR
track junkie

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6

Quote:

I am a worrier.
i felt the same way. when i first started out, i was with a group that "bumped" you up if you were ready. you couldn't make the call yourself. then, i rode with a group where you could just go in any group you want; it was all up to you. i didn't feel comfortable with that.

i tried to ride novice for a day on a track that i already had around 1000 laps on. they kicked me out. (repetition is bound to make you better, i guess) once i was in intermediate, i stayed there for awhile until a coach came over and said it was time to move on.

i don't like deciding for myself because i'm naturally biased and think i'm doing awesome. i suspect it's that way for a lot of people.

now that i finally made it to advanced, i'm comfortable with the passing (and being passed) i don't think i would like it anywhere else. i'm maybe mid-pack with the folks i ride with, so i know i still have a metric shit ton to learn out there, but i went from "oh SHIT! look how close he's passing me!!!" to "nice effing pass, dude! awesome!" when someone rubs elbows with me...

to the OP... can you put more choices on the poll so us old-timers can vote for the 40 or 60 or 80 track day thing?

s3aturnr
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement