Fuel Stabilizer? : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 12-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
jhpr6
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 Yamaha R6s
Fuel Stabilizer?

Should I put Fuel Stabilizer when the temperature drops? even if I do a semi-winter storage?

What I mean by a semi- winter storage is I will be riding the bike around at least 1 mile a week during the time the temperatures drop below 20 degrees in the night time and below 30 during the day time. Most likely January - February.

Would it still be ideal to add the fuel stabilizer? or should this only be done when the bike will sit and not be started for 2 - 3 months?
jhpr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
Eric10301
I eat my R6

Bike: 08 R6 Track Bike
Re: Fuel Stabilizer?

Why would you be riding it in 20 degree weather? You'd be better off just doing a full winter storage including oil change, fuel stabilizer, and battery tender.
Eric10301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
basmn
ready to race

Bike: 03 R6

mixed feelings on fuel stable.....i have used sea foam for the past few yrs( even during riding season) with no problem but the other option is to fill the tank with the highest octane fuel you can get and don't worry about it. Some say that stable just forms a film on top of the gas..and when it gets re agitated (start riding again) it does not break up properly and fudges the fuel system. i have a bike that gets filled to the rim every year for storage and never had a problem for 25 yrs ..i started using a specific stabilizer and had to pull the carbs off and clean them this summer because the bike was running like s*&#@....hope this helps but it's your call.
basmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

if used per directions on the bottle, it wouldn't be a bad idea to use all the time. Especially if the bike will sit awhile. Also keep the tank full. If you have ethanol in your pump gas, this is even more important.

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
legendes
I eat my R6

Bike: 09 R6 Raven
If you're going to be riding 1 mile a week, what does that tell you?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
legendes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
oizarod115
....Casper....

Bike: 2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendes View Post
If you're going to be riding 1 mile a week, what does that tell you?
tells me he's gonna be a cold mo-fo for 1 mile a week

probably not going to affect anything no matter what you do, if you're only going to store it for 2 months just fill it up and get a battery tender. if you were storing it for 5-6 months maybe a bigger deal
oizarod115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
smithjenife
My R6 eats me.

i started using a specific stabilizer and had to pull the carbs off and clean them this summer because the bike was running like
Old 12-06-2012, 02:31 AM   #8
Torchsport
Horsepower Whisperer

Bike: Girlfriend says too many!

I've had great luck for decades using Seafoam.
Snowmobiles, motorcycles, mowers, wackers, boat motors, chain saws, snowblowers, atvs...

Scientists have shown that Sta-bil can gel in todays corn based fuel.
Google it.
'03 Honda Goldwing (Lazyboy)
'01 Suzuki DRZ400S (Dual Sport)
'01 Yamaha YZ250 (MX bike)
Torchsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:29 AM   #9
wutsup
Yeah Science!

Bike: gixxer chrome edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchsport View Post
I've had great luck for decades using Seafoam.
Snowmobiles, motorcycles, mowers, wackers, boat motors, chain saws, snowblowers, atvs...

Scientists have shown that Sta-bil can gel in todays corn based fuel.
Google it.
Really? Well shit, my bike ha been sitting for about 5-6 months with a mix of the red Sta-bil and blue ethanl treatment Sta-bil. I put in probably a little over the recommended. I'll be riding it soon again on the street so won't be needing a fuel stabilizer anytime soon after I run through the tank. Will it gel up in 6 months or does it take a bit longer?
wutsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #10
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

ethanol "enriched" fuel (e10 at our US pumps) phase separates in as little as 3 months. google "ethanol phase separation". Ethanol is nothing more than the octane booster that refineries have to add to fuel so out engines won't ping to death. There was an octane booster that was added that did not break down and cause problems like the ethanol does, but it was outlawed by government/epa and had to be out by around 2006 or so.
ethanol sucks for fuel systems, but has been wonderful for our fuel injector service

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement