Reinstalling rear wheel? - Page 2 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Tire Tech Talk

Old 07-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #11
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes
Re: Reinstalling rear wheel?

one thing that makes it easier for some, if you don't use one of those plastic tools, is reversing your axle .. put it in from the caliper side. This lines it up automatically as the axle is what holds the caliper in place while you put the rear wheel into place (i like to hold most of the weight with my foot under the wheel-position with left hand, push axle with right). Myself and others do this on race bikes as you have rear wheels off a few times a day on average. You have to reverse the axle adjusters too of course as they fit to the axle one way. just back em all the way out, flip sides, screw em back in.

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2012, 07:53 AM   #12
babymilo36
Chairman Meow

Bike: Specialized Secteur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible View Post
Jordan was selling them..worth every dime..won't change a rear without one..
Right. You can email him since he isn't a vendor on here anymore.

CMRA #620
Wreck It Pandas #68

My 2008 R6 race build

babymilo36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #13
Richard Head
My R6 eats you.

Bike: 2003 YZF-R6

Thanks for the tips guys... The video was great too. I just needed to refresh my brain! Once I went to work,It all came back... Went together like a charm... No issues at all. Forgot how smooth a brand new tire feels :-)
Richard Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:59 AM   #14
Jaguilar513700
I eat my R6

Subbed

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Jaguilar513700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #15
Fallis
Meh

Bike: 05 R6 Track, 09 R1, Strom

I think about swapping the axle every time I have to put my rear wheel back on and I end up swearing at the stupid caliper bracket. Greg, by axle adjusters - are you talking about the blocks? I wouldn't think the adjuster bolts would have to get swapped. I'm sure this would all become very clear if I actually tried it, but I'm sitting at work and curious.
Fallis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #16
natedogg624
I eat my R6

No, simply insert the axle from the right instead of the left. No other changes are required.
Nathan - #425 - 07 Yamaha R6
35 Motorsports, Vortex Racing, Pit Posse Motorsports, Spy Optics, Suomy Helmets, 614 Paintworx, Optimal Racing, GP Tech
Nationwide Children's Hospital/Ohio Motorcyclists for Children
The Retrofit Source
natedogg624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #17
wutsup
Yeah Science!

Bike: gixxer chrome edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedogg624 View Post
No, simply insert the axle from the right instead of the left. No other changes are required.
You don't have to switch the chain adjusters so the marks are facing inward like Melk Man has said?
wutsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #18
bryan j
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutsup View Post
You don't have to switch the chain adjusters so the marks are facing inward like Melk Man has said?
I don't see why you would have to do anything else

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
bryan j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #19
wutsup
Yeah Science!

Bike: gixxer chrome edition

Yea I guess. I remember I saw someone selling one of their bikes on here a long time ago and the rear axle was in the opposite direction.
wutsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #20
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

you DO have to switch the axle adjusters guys. One end has a flat retaining thing. The other adjuster is flat (the one that the washer and large nut go on). You can just take the 12mm nylock nut off the back of the adjusting bolt, or just use the allen wrench to back the bolts all the way out of the swing arm and reverse the adjusters.. but you do need to swap the adjusters if you want to revers the axle.
this is the simplest way to help with the caliper when changing wheels.

BUT.. having someone fix the caliper to the adjuster (once you figure out which way you want the axle to go) makes life WAY easier. I had a welder weld the adjuster to the adjuster.. it must be PERFECT or the axle will be hard to slide, and the adjuster bolt will not line up at the back of the swingarm well. witchcraft racing and a couple other places for $50 i think , will drill/remove metal that is in way/bolt the adjuster to the caliper. Fast Frank racing will sell for $99 1/2 of the caliper and adjuster ready to go.. you just put the piston side of the caliper into this piece and you are ready to go instead of sending your parts in..
CAPTIVE SPACERS are sweet. and there are 2 kinds. One requires you to remove your current bearings and replace with the spacer/new bearing (as you can't slide the captive spacer into your current bearing or the axle won't fit ).
http://shop.fastfrankracing.com/R6-R...Set-R6Rcap.htm sells SWEET captive spacers that simply slide into YOUR SEALS! no new bearings needed. I did notice you must fiddle a little bit with how far into the hub the rubber seal is to ensure there isn't too much drag, but once set, it REALLY speeds up wheel changes. I think they are $69 a set, and i got em anodized in black.

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement