OSRAM - SilverStar H7 - Page 2 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 12-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #11
lopez95632
candy red

Bike: 07 r6s
Send a message via MSN to lopez95632
Re: OSRAM - SilverStar H7

Wtf are you talking about bigshepp? I've bought 3 kits off vendors here and they've all been awesome!
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #12
wutsup
Yeah Science!

Bike: gixxer chrome edition

If you want amazing light output, get some HIDS and some projectors. It's pretty fcking amazing riding at night with it. I've never rode with stock headlights and stock bulbs at night before, but I did have some FX-R projectors and 6000k hids before I sold them and they were so good at nighttime.
wutsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #13
BigShepp
Tron has corrupted me

Bike: 2005 R6 Raven "Deimos"
The HID kits are NOT designed to work with the stock reflective systems. It creates a light beam distribution that commonly blinds oncoming drivers.

The only HID system that is truly safe and consistent would be a projector, like from the retro fit source, but even then you have to do a lot of custom fitting.

Sent from atop Mount Olympus
Proverbs 14:23

“Faster, Faster, Until The Thrill Of Speed Overcomes The Fear Of Death.”
Hunter S. Thompson

"It wasn't until I went to college and I got my first motorcycle that I understood the thrill of speed."
Vin Diesel
BigShepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #14
RSICKS ATL
Get you some!

Bike: 08 R6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShepp View Post
The HID kits are NOT designed to work with the stock reflective systems. It creates a light beam distribution that commonly blinds oncoming drivers.

The only HID system that is truly safe and consistent would be a projector, like from the retro fit source, but even then you have to do a lot of custom fitting.

I have HIDs in both my lowbeam and highbeam. I love them, and I'd rather oncoming traffic see me because I'm too bright than not see me because I'm not bright enough.

The light output is fine too. Lights up the road. I Also keep my high beam on all the time for the reason mentioned above.

Sent while riding my R6. o_O
2008 R6 Raven - Mods - Bauce Racing ECU Flash : Gutted header : MJS Mid-pipe : Carbon Scorpion Powercone slip-on : -1 Front Sprocket : AGG Smog Block Offs : BMC Street Filter : TechSpec Snakeskin tank grips : MotoDynamic Smoked Integrated tail light : Smoked LED flush mounts : LP Racing No-Cut Frame Sliders : Swingarm Spools : Renthal Road Race Dual Compounds : Graves Billet Bar-ends : 07 Black wheels : Powder-coated rearsets : Smoked windscreen : 3000k Hi/8000k Low HIDs : Fender Eliminator with LED tag bolts : AGG Rear Reservoir Delete : AGG Angled Valve Stems : Battlax S20s

RSICKS ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #15
BigShepp
Tron has corrupted me

Even with crap lights, other drivers can see you. Problem is, when you have a HID pointed directly at their face, all they can see is your headlight; meaning they can't see the road. That's dangerous for everyone.

Hunter S. Thompson

"It wasn't until I went to college and I got my first motorcycle that I understood the thrill of speed."
Vin Diesel
Old 12-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #16
shnormo
Got street appeal?

Bike: '04 and '07 R6
Send a message via AIM to shnormo

I ride with H.I.D.s in projectors on my bike. Cars without projector housings I run H.I.D.s in. H.I.D.s are the way to go and they are in everything I own
shnormo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #17
legendes
I eat my R6

Bike: 09 R6 Raven

Quote:
Even with crap lights, other drivers can see you. Problem is, when you have a HID pointed directly at their face, all they can see is your headlight; meaning they can't see the road. That's dangerous for everyone.

agreed, having too much light and causing glare isnt the proper solution to being visible on the street.
legendes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:42 AM   #18
adamb
I take my R6 on dates.

Bike: 05' R6
Quote:

Not trying to flame, I agree with some points. But on the contrary, you said cheap hid kits suck (to the best of my knowledge the retrofit source does not sell Phillips hids with a majority of their equipment, so yes they themselves use "cheap" kid kits).

To clarify (and yes I have bought from them before, to retrofit a friends BMW e46). It is smart to have some sort of cut off in place when using hids, I can say that once my oem Phillips hids burnt out in my truck, I replaced them with the $45 55w set from eBay with zero problems and an extremely similar light output (I have now been using them every day for 3 years, I changed the bulbs to 5000k a year ago because I wanted a more "oem" look).

None the less OP you will read mixed reviews, please don't slap hids in anything without some sort of cut off (I honestly don't personally care if they're in a second gen or halogen projector assembly, it's really not that blinding to me). But it's a large piss off on the road when people have hids in a regular reflector-bowl assembly, and you can see them a mile away. It's also ticket-able up here in Canada-land... But make your own judgement, and like others had said read the pros and cons beforehand.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
adamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #19
lopez95632
candy red

Bike: 07 r6s
Send a message via MSN to lopez95632

So its not the "cheap" hid's fault. It's the housing. Choose your words wisely and read before you start talking trash.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #20
BigShepp
Tron has corrupted me

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopez95632 View Post
So its not the "cheap" hid's fault. It's the housing. Choose your words wisely and read before you start talking trash.
You get what you pay for.

If you get a cheap ballast, expect problems later on. I had to replace one of the ballasts in my truck because I bought cheap.

Hunter S. Thompson

Vin Diesel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement