Fuel Stabilizer? - Page 3 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 12-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #21
NyseR6
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 2012 Blue R6
Re: Fuel Stabilizer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by basmn View Post
noted..regarding the ethanol..as far as leaving the tank empty i would never do that..look at how many people selling older bikes have rusty old fuel tanks (inside) and have to coat them...my 81 CB 750 F tank(32 yrs old) on the inside looks like it just came from the dealer.....no room for condensation means NO rust... if your not shure how good the fuel will be in the spring drain it and use it in the lawn mower...just my opinion.
Rust is a good point and it's worth noting that all the calculations were done on jet skis which have plastic tanks, however, I believe most new vehicles including the R6 use a new anti-rusting material on the inside of tanks. But I concede, fill your tank.
Current Mods: Full Leo Vince Factory EVO II carbon exhaust, Bauce Racing ECU, Bazzaz Z-Fi + AFM, DID ERV3 520 chain, Renthal 15/47 sprockets, Michelin Pilot Power 3 tires, BMC track filter, HyperPro RSC steering damper, Rizoma RRC rearset, Rizoma Radial Sport mirrors, Fren Tubo SS brake lines, Rizoma front and rear brake reservoirs, Puig DB light smoke windscreen, AGG smog block-off plates, Proton flushmounts, Shermoto Racing levers, Driven D3 grips, Motodynamic smoked integrated tail light, Rizoma chain adjuster, Rizoma gas cap, Rizoma oil filler cap, OEM solo seat cowl, BikeStyle passenger peg plugs, Carbon fiber ram air covers, Shogun framesliders, Vortex swingarm spools, Gregg's Customs rear tag cover, Custom fender eliminator, 90 degree valve stems, CustomLED relay, Scala G9, Slowboy reservoir socks, Motul 300V, Engine Ice, NJG custom decal set, Pitbull front and rear stands
NyseR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #22
wutsup
Yeah Science!

Bike: gixxer chrome edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoss1980 View Post
Stabil now makes an ethanol treatment and do not reccomend their standard stabilizer for ethanol fuel, personally ive had great luck with startron
I used the regular red stabil stuff, but then added some of the marine formula ethaol treatment stuff as well, so I have both mixed in the gas tank right now.
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Then you need worse brakes, not better ones. I suggest adding some air to your lines and spraying your pads with wd-40 before you go out. You'll find all kinds of corner speed.
wutsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #23
cbrkp
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 Cbr 600RR & 06 R6

sorta sidestep'n the conversation here but are the tanks aluminum or steel?
Old 12-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #24
jhpr6
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 Yamaha R6s

LOL so may I ask the question one more time? because I think nobody understood my question.

The question is not if I should use stabilizer or not. It is should I use it if I will ride it around the block at least once a week during the winter...

So is fuel stabilizer necessary in general when the weather is cold??? or only when you are going to hard store it?

=))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
jhpr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #25
legendes
I eat my R6

Bike: 09 R6 Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhpr6 View Post
The question is not if I should use stabilizer or not. It is should I use it if I will ride it around the block at least once a week during the winter...
then you are asking whether or not you should use it... lol

put it simply, fuel stabilizer is used whenever gasoline is going to be stored for a while.

with that being said you have a ~4 gallon tank... so riding your bike 1 mile a week during the winter isnt going to consume fuel to the point that the need for stabilization isnt needed.

the next time you begin to ask yourself whether or not you have to stabilize the fuel, just ask yourself how long is it going to be stored...

just because you ride it a mile a week doesnt make all the gasoline in the tank consumed (depending on how much you had in there to begin with but you get my point). you're still storing whatever you had minus 1 mile worth of gas.
legendes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #26
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrkp View Post
sorta sidestep'n the conversation here but are the tanks aluminum or steel?

steel.

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #27
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Startron shooters. $3, does your whole tank, AND treats fuel for ethanol. It's a no brainer. Fill it to the top, and let this disipate the small amount of moisture/sweat that builds up. It will also keep the ethanol fuel in our area from breaking down, or corroding shit.

It's what we use in the boats, they use and sell tons of it at the marina for the lake I live on. It's well proven, and especially awesome for us guys with carbs. Other bikes, and many carbs have rubber like tips on the float needles and the ethanol fuel just dissolves it over time. Between that, stabilizing the fuel for up to a year and treating for ethanol, it's the best $3 (each shooter $6 as shown) you can spend.

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement