03 r6 rough idle - Page 2 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Garage / Mechanical Help

Old 03-02-2010, 04:18 PM   #11
peter123
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: '03 R6(sold), 2005 r1
Re: 03 r6 rough idle

so i finally got a chance to check out my coils, lol i know its been a while. but i found out that i do have the old denso coils. i didnt get a chance to inspect them because i just took off the mid fairing and took a peak. but im gonna give yamaha a call tommorow hopefully they dot give me any bs.
peter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #12
peter123

yup so im bringing the bike to yamaha tommorow only thing thats kinda gay is i have to bring the bike in then they will order the coils once the bike is there.im just hoping this fixes the problems.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #13
ClutchR6
I eat my R6

Bike: 05 Raven (Sold) 03 R6
Send a message via AIM to ClutchR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter123 View Post
yup so im bringing the bike to yamaha tommorow only thing thats kinda gay is i have to bring the bike in then they will order the coils once the bike is there.im just hoping this fixes the problems.
I have an 03 as well but have no issues.

Did you just call your local yamaha dealer and they said they will take care of it because it was a recall?
ClutchR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:02 PM   #14
peter123

ya i just called them gave them my vin number and brought it in. i think with the vin number they can check weather it was done or not on your bike so i would call them and see.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:50 PM   #15
peter123

ok so i got my bike back yesterday with changed coils and spark plugs and i must say there is a big difference in the throttle. it feels crispier in a way, if that makes sense. well the coil change also fixed my idle problem so its idling normal now. the only bs part is they charged me half an hour for labor for the spark plugs wtf... it probably took them two min tops since they were right there. all i need to do know is change my oil and air filter and get reading to ride next week, its gonna be beutiful.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:32 AM   #16
CoSypha
My R6 eats me.

Old topic I know but I was searching becasue now I had the same problem. This is just an insight on those who adjusted the TPS with no results, or don't have bad coils and still get these same issues. I solved mine but cleaning every wire connection under the seat the corresponds to the battery. I started by removing the grounds and positive terminals and wire brushing them. They were clean and didn't have corrosion but I did it anyways. There is a small box with two fuses next to the power cable that also has a white connector going into it with four wires, take that connector out and with a small file (what is used) or sandpaper clean all for of the spade terminals in the little black box and spray a contact cleaner in the white plug. I then moved to the negative side of the battery. Trace the negative cable back to the engine. You will need to lift your gas tank for this one, no biggie. There is a white single connector that ties to the negative terminal and connects to the main harness that runs along side the inside frame. Disconnect this and mine was corroded heavily. Clean this with file / or sandpaper really good!! This is what grounds your ECU (brain) of the bike. I think what happens is driving around it develops a bad ground and the ECU resets while driving but since the bike is in motion or in gear, it isn't quite dead until you pull the clutch in. I believe that this is why turning the key on and off temporarily fixes the problem... Now were was I, oh yea, cleaning the single connector, spray contact cleaner into the other side of the plug, there really isn't a easy way to clean this so this is what I did. Follow the larger black wire to the engine block and it should be attached by one bolt. With this bolt you can look on the top of it and see if there is any corrosion, if there isn't then dont remove, if there is remove it and clean it good. As a pre-cautionary measure I also ohmed the cable from tip to tip, if you ohm anything other than 0, there is corrosion in the cable and it should be replaced. Connect everything back up and also I pushed on all the connectors under the seat just to make sure they were all seated, even the ECU, then start! Its been running great ever since.

I'd like to add, I have a 2003 R6, I already did the TPS, cleaned old one, didn't work so bought new one. I did the valve adjustment, im at 24k. I have the carbtune and sync'd throttle bodies, it cleans up the idle, but it still died. Topped coolant, went through all the senors, cleaned air filter, changed oil, new spark plugs.

The above was the only thing that fixed this. I was never able to duplicate the problem in the driveway only when I drove. I stumbled across this becasue I had the bike running and the seat off and I started pulling and pushing on the harness and connectors, kinda hard, but not hard enough to break stuff, and instantly when I jiggled the main harness with the negative (white singe plug) my bike idled lumpy and died, Then I couldn't start the bike without the key on and off, so I cleaned everything. I was racking my head, hopefully this helps people who are at minds end like I was!!
CoSypha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #17
ridick_bowen
Stunt Rider

Bike: R6/R1 Hybrid

A PC III might help.
Zeus Armor crash cage, sub-cage, stunt stay, subframe brace, R1 rectifier mod. ATC steel subframe & ATC 12 bar. Hohey big rotor HB setup with 6 piston Busa caliper. Stunter-X res clamp hose kit. Dented gas tank with HT moto grip. Kleen air mod. Ohlins rod type damper. Brembo RCS 19 FB. SS brake lines. BMC air filter. JACO adjustable clip ons. Brembo 16x18 HB. 05 R1 front forks. 06 FZ-6 rear rotor. NGK plugs. DCP radiator cage. LP gas cap. Secondary radiator fan switch setup. Hotbodies flush mount turn signals. Intergrated rear turn/taillight signals. Squidfighter tailsaver. Leo Vince CBR 250 exhaust. Custom hole in rear passenger seat. Naarden shark fin.
ridick_bowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #18
CoSypha
My R6 eats me.

Yea but not if you have electrical issues to begin with.
CoSypha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #19
BlueBOB

Bike: 03 R6 Lmtd Edtn

Sorry for the old thread revival, but I'm rather concerned. Picked up an 03 R6 last April and have been slowly but surely modding it and enjoying it. I have a PCIII and just recently installed the AGG smog block off plates. Started fine immediately after install, rode it quite a bit yesterday, and even a little today. All of the sudden, while riding, the bike just all of the sudden started running like crap. No power and almost a gurgling exhaust sound running very rough. I confirmed my plates were still on tight. Thinking it might be the coils, but haven't looked closely yet. I also fear the plugs are probably the OEM plugs from when the bike was bought. The previous owner wasn't the type to turn wrenches and the bike only had 8k miles on it when I bought it. Any thoughts?

2003 R6 Black/Red [look ma! I have mods!]
K&N | 06+ muffler | AGG Smog Block-off Plates | PCIII USB (slight tune from PRT Performance) | 5K HIDs
BlueBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:23 PM   #20
BikerLad91
2003 R6 FI (SE Yellow)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBOB View Post
Sorry for the old thread revival, but I'm rather concerned. Picked up an 03 R6 last April and have been slowly but surely modding it and enjoying it. I have a PCIII and just recently installed the AGG smog block off plates. Started fine immediately after install, rode it quite a bit yesterday, and even a little today. All of the sudden, while riding, the bike just all of the sudden started running like crap. No power and almost a gurgling exhaust sound running very rough. I confirmed my plates were still on tight. Thinking it might be the coils, but haven't looked closely yet. I also fear the plugs are probably the OEM plugs from when the bike was bought. The previous owner wasn't the type to turn wrenches and the bike only had 8k miles on it when I bought it. Any thoughts?
Sounds simular to what happend to me.
Read it hear.

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showt...69#post2806569

Did you ever find out what the issue was ?
BikerLad91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement