How to convert 03-05 to 06+ R6r exhaust - Page 55 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > How To's...

Old 10-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #541
daisbest
* * * Punisher * * *

Bike: 2005 raven R6
Re: How to convert 03-05 to 06+ R6r exhaust

Haven't thought about it yet, kinda like the oem look
* Shermoto shorty levers
* Scotts steering damper
* 06 shorty muffler conv.
* 520 chain conv. -1/+2
* Factory pro +4 rotor
* BMC race filter
* Dunlop Q2's
* Dynojet Pc3
* 12k h.i.d kit

daisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #542
ridick_bowen
Stunt Rider

Bike: R6/R1 Hybrid

I'd do this mod but I need a lil back pressure for the lot.
Zeus Armor crash cage, sub-cage, stunt stay, subframe brace, R1 rectifier mod. ATC steel subframe & ATC 12 bar. Runman big rotor HB setup with r6 monoblock calipers. Stunter-X res clamp hose kit. Dented gas tank with HT moto grip. Kleen air mod. GPR steering damper. Brembo RCS 19 FB. SS brake lines. BMC air filter. JACO adjustable clip ons. Brembo 16x18 HB. 05 R1 front forks. 06 FZ-6 rear rotor. NGK plugs. DCP radiator cage. LP gas cap. Secondary radiator fan switch setup. Squidfighter tailsaver. Leo Vince CBR 250 exhaust. Custom hole in rear passenger seat. Naarden shark fin. 15/48t 520 gearing. CRG mirrors.
ridick_bowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #543
Houst-owned
My R6 eats me.

Kinda late but I thought I should put up my result
Before

And after
Houst-owned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #544
LUSTR
My R6 eats me.

Send a message via AIM to LUSTR

I just ordered a muffler from an 08 R6 to install on my 09 R6s. I'm hoping to do it within the next few weeks, but I will be getting a PowerCommander in order to get the correct f/a ratios and not screw up my engine/valves. My question is, for those who did some tuning and have the power commander, what unit did you buy, from where, and what map are you using? Thanks!

I haven't the time right now to go through the whole thread so forgive me in advance if I'm asking a question that was already answered.
LUSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #545
LUSTR
My R6 eats me.

Send a message via AIM to LUSTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReasonableDoubt View Post
I just completed this mod on my '05 and wanted to share my experience for any future DIYers.

I was lucky enough to get a whole '06 exhaust system from a guy locally for free (WIN!). First step was to cut off the valve end of the muffler. I attempted to use my reciprocating saw (sawzall) with a heavy duty blade made for cutting thick metal. Barely made a dent after working at it a little bit. Change of plan. I then used my Dremel 300 with a metal cut off wheel (included in the EZ Lock kit). Worked like a charm. Used about 6 wheels, but it was well worth it. Since the cut wasn't the smoothest/straightest I then used a 80 grit flap wheel to smooth and semi-taper the end of the pipe.

Next step was to insert the muffler into the header pipe. I cut four slits in the header pipe, but was unable to insert the muffler. This, for me, was the hardest and most frustrating part of the whole deal. I tried hammering it in, heating the pipe up; neither worked. I did some research on techniques to expand the pipe. Come to find out, Autozone loans out a pipe expander tool. It comes in two sizes, the 1-1/2" one that expands to 2-7/16" worked great. It simply attaches to a socket and you wrench it to expand the pipe. I was then able to insert the muffler without a problem. Using a 1-7/8" muffler clamp from Advanced Auto Parts, I tightened up the seam. Reinstalled the black protective shield to cover everything up. I didn't have to modify the shield like some others have.

I didn't cut the hanger off my muffler as indicated in the original how-to. I created a bracket using 2" mending plates from Home Depot, to secure the hanger to the rearset (as a security measure). Finally reattached the rearset and DONE!

So far, I love the sound difference from the stock muffler. Definitely louder and more throaty. Haven't tested it out on the street as yet. Only a few revs in my garage. Tomorrow I hope to get some pics up and try it out in real time. Hopefully, this can help somebody else out.
Any photos of the brackets you used to attach it to the rearset?
LUSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #546
diz
I eat my R6

Bike: 03 r6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSTR View Post
I just ordered a muffler from an 08 R6 to install on my 09 R6s. I'm hoping to do it within the next few weeks, but I will be getting a PowerCommander in order to get the correct f/a ratios and not screw up my engine/valves. My question is, for those who did some tuning and have the power commander, what unit did you buy, from where, and what map are you using? Thanks!

I haven't the time right now to go through the whole thread so forgive me in advance if I'm asking a question that was already answered.
If you're going for straight power, using a shorty slip-on with stock headers is going to cost you a couple hp. You don't really need a PC for what you're doing. The stock ecu will adjust f/a enough that you probably won't notice it. PC is for serious mods (engine mods, full exhaust system, etc).

You need the PC for the R6s. Some of the other years can work but you have to alter the electrical connections to get them to fit.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #547
r6sport
I eat my R6

Bike: 2006 Yamaha R6S

My impressions from doing this yesterday on my R6S:

The new exhaust touches the plastics. I haven't ridden the bike yet so I'm unsure if the exhaust will melt the bottom fairings. I used the washer trick just like the original thread member.

Also, the clamp on the titanium exhaust is very close to the swing arm. In my opinion, it's probably a good idea to cut it off. I understand that many people are using it to fasten the exhaust to the foot peg but it is so close to the swing arm. Most likely it will rub. I think i'm going to cut it off before it rubs on the swing arm.

I did not cut my stock exhaust manifold pipe to get the titanium exhaust to fit. I heated up the pipe and it actually slip all the way in to the bead of the titanium muffler. I put an exhaust clamp on it to secure it. It took me two times to heat the pipe enough for it to slide all the way in. The first time it only slid in half way. It was a PITA to get back off. The second time it went in perfect!

FYI- The titanium pipe was a PITA to cut!
r6sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #548
sherwood
05 Raven

Bike: 2005 R6 Raven

I had mine cut with a bandsaw, worked pretty well
sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:29 AM   #549
r6sport
I eat my R6

I took it out for the first time today. It's very loud. I'm sure I will eventually go deaf or get a ticket.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #550
r6sport
I eat my R6

TIP: YOU DO NOT NEED TO CUT THE PIPE FOR THEM TO FIT. IF YOU HEAT THE PIPE COMING FROM THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD, THE TITANIUM PIPE WILL SLIDE ALL THE WAY IN TO THE HUB.

I hate people that use all caps but I just wanted to let others know. I hear a lot of people saying they have to cut the pipe to get it to fit or to fit snugly. After heating the pipe up for 5 minutes, it slid right it. Make sure you heat atleast 3 inches of the pipe to expand it all the down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement