» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section

Old 12-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
mturo
My R6 eats me.

Newbie looking to at trading from ducati

I currently have a Ducati monster 750 and i am looking for something different. Really want a R6 or Fz6, well today a guy offered a 2003 r6 with 22k miles on it. Is there anything i should be concerned about with the year or mileage? I know the first major maintenance is scheduled for 26k.

Located in Houston

I will post pics of the Ducati incase people ask for them

Last edited by mturo; 12-10-2012 at 08:03 PM.
mturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
mturo
My R6 eats me.

Re: Newbie looking to at trading from ducati

looking to meet the guy tomorrow night any suggestions on what to look for would be helpful.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
TinyDancer
Resident Bulgarian

Bike: '12 R6

I'm not an expert but you can easily do a search on the forum. Many people have asked a similar question.

Nice looking Ducati! Good luck.

KCCO
TinyDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
TheJokester3
A work in progress...

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak2007r6 View Post
"I refuse to tip toe through life to arrive safely at deaths door".
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
There is more to squidliness than just your gear.
Build Thread
TheJokester3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
Miller'sR6
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 2012 Yamaha Blue R6

I know nuthing about duc's but isnt your duc worth more than a 03 R6 with that many miles.
Miller'sR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
R-Silaxin
Track=Cocaine

Bike: 06 R-6 Deathraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller'sR6 View Post
I know nuthing about duc's but isnt your duc worth more than a 03 R6 with that many miles.
You'd think, right? That duc isn't bad lookin... Maybe one of these days... Something for the streets... Course I think I'll have a couple trackbike's before I worry about possibly getting back on the streets... If I EVER do...

Good luck OP... I for one, think you could do a lot better than an 03 for a Duc... Course I don't know what year, miles, etc your bike has... Seems you'd be better off selling the Duc and shopping around for a newer R6 with less miles. Course if you're not looking for a super sporty machine, for hard/spirited rides or track use, the FZ or similar would probably more suited for commuting and such...
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL https://www.youtube.com/user/adam2cox
MY FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...79&ref=tn_tnmn

MY XBL GAMERTAG: AmericanGingers
R-Silaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
diz
I eat my R6

Bike: 03 r6

There was a factory recall on the coils and axle nut. It can still be done at a dealership for free if it hasn't been done yet. Take it for a ride. Since you already have some experience riding a bike, you should be able to tell if there is something seriously wrong with it (bent frame, tweaked forks, weak clutch, etc). Try to coax some information. Why is he getting rid of it? How often did he change the oil? Did he race or stunt it? Etc. Pay close attention to what you see (scraped pegs, damaged body work, etc) vs. what he says.

My bike has around 19k. The engine is still solid and the clutch is really tight. Aside from a bent frame, you can basically fix everything yourself. Cheap used parts are everywhere and there is a lot of documented knowledge on the 2nd gens.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:42 AM   #8
mturo
My R6 eats me.

You know I thought the Duc would be orth more as well but kbb says its worth around 2500 trade in and they seem to be selling for around 3500. It is a 1999 with somewhere around 10000 miles.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:43 AM   #9
mturo
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
There was a factory recall on the coils and axle nut. It can still be done at a dealership for free if it hasn't been done yet. Take it for a ride. Since you already have some experience riding a bike, you should be able to tell if there is something seriously wrong with it (bent frame, tweaked forks, weak clutch, etc). Try to coax some information. Why is he getting rid of it? How often did he change the oil? Did he race or stunt it? Etc. Pay close attention to what you see (scraped pegs, damaged body work, etc) vs. what he says.

My bike has around 19k. The engine is still solid and the clutch is really tight. Aside from a bent frame, you can basically fix everything yourself. Cheap used parts are everywhere and there is a lot of documented knowledge on the 2nd gens.
Thanks this is good information that i was looking for.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #10
TinyDancer
Resident Bulgarian

Bike: '12 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturo View Post
You know I thought the Duc would be orth more as well but kbb says its worth around 2500 trade in and they seem to be selling for around 3500. It is a 1999 with somewhere around 10000 miles.
10K miles for 99 is not a lot. Trade-in value is definitely going to be less than retail. I would be looking at retail and I would say, as long as your bike is in good shape and taken care of, you could easily get 4k out of it.

-Alex

KCCO
TinyDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement