Ninja 300 as a track bike? - Page 3 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Track Tech & Riding Techniques

Old 12-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #21
GenPatton
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy

Bike: 2007 R6 Rossi Replica
Re: Ninja 300 as a track bike?

Chief, I hear you about the trees and the entry/exit point but it sounds like TPM's beginner level is pretty structured (no passing if I recall correctly) so I'm not too concerned to get my feet wet. It's literally an hour away from my, while NJMP I think is 5 hours ... so, I'll get the feel of NYST and decide from there.

BTW, less than 24 hours later, picked up the track queen ....

Though, may look weird wearing a 1 piece Yamaha suit on the Kawi. lol

Now gonna wait to see if/when a company decides to make track bodywork for it, and look into possible options on upgrading the front brakes. No name dinky caliper on a single disc .. concerns me slightly.

BMC Race Filter | M4 Cat Delete | Termignoni Exhaust | Bazzaz Fuel Tuner | AGG Block-Off Plates
Fren Tubo Type 2 Lines | Integrated Tail | Rossi Replica Fairings |
OES Frame Sliders | AGG 10000K HIDs
CNC Tomok Mirrors | Lightech Quick Release Gas Cap
| GP Shift Setup | Shorty CNC Levers | Zero Gravity Screen
☼ March 2013 Ride of the Month
GenPatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #22
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdub View Post
Dont forget to watch out for the deer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPatton View Post

Chief, I hear you about the trees and the entry/exit point but it sounds like TPM's beginner level is pretty structured (no passing if I recall correctly) so I'm not too concerned to get my feet wet. It's literally an hour away from my, while NJMP I think is 5 hours ... so, I'll get the feel of NYST and decide from there.

BTW, less than 24 hours later, picked up the track queen ....

Though, may look weird wearing a 1 piece Yamaha suit on the Kawi. lol

Now gonna wait to see if/when a company decides to make track bodywork for it, and look into possible options on upgrading the front brakes. No name dinky caliper on a single disc .. concerns me slightly.
Have you seen the new Leo's for your bike bro? They have one looks a lot like a termignoni!

Also, throw a fren tubo setup on there and some good pads and brake fluid and bake that brake bro. You don't brake much on the little bikes. I was talking to Shawn on here last night and he raced all season on the 250 and said he has like 2 brake points on the whole track he runs!

I have video of me in TPM's beginner group passing 15-20 people a lap before being forced to bump up on my 2rd TD. Maybe up there they will have no passing, but you could pass on straights.

I don't know if my org is even gonna run anything other than beginner days there cause of the entry and severe lack of runoff. I'm just throwin it out there man. Like I said, I've ridden Shenny and that's just insane when you're in the riders meeting teaching you how to lowside a bike in the dirt.

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #23
GenPatton
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy

Haven't seen the Leo's, definitely going to look into it!

Maybe there is passing, I can't remember where I saw there wasn't. Maybe it was TonysTrackDays. I do appreciate the concern, and my father also voiced those same concerns when I first shown him the pictures. If I don't feel safe, I definitely won't ride there in the future, but an hour away, can't say no to check it out.

Being 23 and just getting into my career job field, track days are first thing on the hobby list, but not first thing on the "must do" list - trying to prioritize savings, bills...etc but as we all know, motorcycles are a very expensive hobby. lol So saving 4 hours of travel time to-and-from definitely helps.

Once I attend the track, I'll be sure to let you all know what I think about it. Thinking maybe running in May or June on one of their dates. Lived in NY my whole life so I'm kinda used to the sucky weather. lol

In regards to the Fren Tubo and the Brake Pads .. will you be able to hook me up with the required stuff by Spring?

BMC Race Filter | M4 Cat Delete | Termignoni Exhaust | Bazzaz Fuel Tuner | AGG Block-Off Plates

Last edited by GenPatton; 12-11-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #24
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Also, no hot pit so bring your dexterity there too!!!

I only raise these concerns cause I have spoken to people who have been there already and walked it, drove all the way up etc.

And when you've got guys like E. wood saying he wouldn't dare ride it ill consider rolling the dice on that one!

I'll post pics of the Leo's for ya. Currently in preorder bro. Real slick an super affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
Old 12-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #25
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Old 12-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #26
GenPatton
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post

Also, no hot pit so bring your dexterity there too!!!

I only raise these concerns cause I have spoken to people who have been there already and walked it, drove all the way up etc.

And when you've got guys like E. wood saying he wouldn't dare ride it ill consider rolling the dice on that one!

I'll post pics of the Leo's for ya. Currently in preorder bro. Real slick an super affordable.
This?

Looks sexy!

What is a hot pit by the way? You'd think these TD organizations wouldn't, or will stop, running TD's there if it's dangerous. Maybe I am just being naive. Gonna give it a shot, if it sucks, I'll have to travel to NJMP.

Will I be able to pick up stuff from you this year in regards to the brakes? (And exhaust for that matter )

Old 12-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #27
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Quote:
This?

Looks sexy!

What is a hot pit by the way? You'd think these TD organizations wouldn't, or will stop, running TD's there if it's dangerous. Maybe I am just being naive. Gonna give it a shot, if it sucks, I'll have to travel to NJMP.

Will I be able to pick up stuff from you this year in regards to the brakes? (And exhaust for that matter )
Sure bro. I can take care of u. We have great options!

I dunno bro. Nyst has made lots of promises... That's for sure. And it's not very cheap either. Especially for where and what it is.

Hot pit is a walled off area on the straight usually that is beside the track. So if u need to adjust your helmet or take a break or if u get flagged you have a way to exit the track and get back on without entering the paddock area.

People practice race launches in hot pit. People take a break in hot pit. When someone crashes and its early in the session you come into hot pit instead of going back to your ez up and when the track is cleared you ride onto it.

I can't possibly explain how dangerous it can be exiting and entering a race track in general. Never mind without having any hot pit or any kind of good safe way to so this.

When some asshole stuffs u with an inside pass in white group at TPM he would get flagged, hot pit and be reprimanded. How's that gonna work?! What about the guy pissing oil all over the track too! LOTS of serious concerns

Old 12-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #28
Fallis
Meh

Bike: 05 R6 Track, 09 R1, Strom

Quote:
Is that not a pit lane right in the middle of the front straight? It is definitely the only track entrance that I've seen in the middle of the straight away.
Fallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #29
Kurt Russell
Hell's coming with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
Is that not a pit lane right in the middle of the front straight? It is definitely the only track entrance that I've seen in the middle of the straight away.
It looks like it, yeah.
Kurt Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #30
Gundamzeppelin
Tons of juice. Crazyjuice

Bike: 13M1 Rep 05Aprila scooter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
I dunno about NYST bro... I believe a few pretty significant people have already spoken out about how they will never ever ride that track.

Even the TD org I'm affiliated with booked days there, but not till late in the summer since it doesn't really get hot up there till later in the season.

The entry and exit on that track doesn't exist at all. It's like entering the track into 140 MPH pack of bikes at the end of the straight. They need to build a bridge or something or someone will get killed.

And the run off is REAL questionable. They claim to be clearing more trees, etc, but I know of a couple turns that are VERY dangerous with minimal run off.

I'm just throwin this out there for you bro. I'll prolly come up and see what it's about, but I also went all the way to WV to ride Shenandoah and it's surrounded by cement walls..
I'm going to admit there are a few things they need to fix before next year, the run off does seem almost nonexistent, still to many ****ing trees!

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson
One does not sell the earth upon which the people walk.
Crazy Horse
ROTM Dec 2011/Sep 2013

^petrol_spice^ RIP Mulciber, BallistiK,GhostR6
'Any crash you can walk away from is a good one."
launchpad McQuack
Gundamzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement