Cycling Thread - Page 91 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > Off Topic Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #901
jdmatara
Just wadd on it.
 
jdmatara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: 'Cuse/NJ/Long Island
Posts: 175
Bike: '03 R6, '74 cb360 cafe
Images: 1
Re: Cycling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
What do I need to do to make progress on getting my distances higher? I'd really like to work my way up to a century.

I'm bringing some food for my long ride. Just like ... a Cliff bar though.
Make sure you're drinking plenty of water. Also supplement with gatorade or some other electrolyte mix drink that will replenish your electrolytes.
Try the energy gels like GU rather than the hearty energy bars. When you're trying to add distance you're body needs to absorb that energy as easily as possible. Gels are extremely easy to digest, whereas bars require more energy to digest.

Lastly, take it easy. You're not gonna magically be able to ride a century overnight. Work your way up.
Cheers and beers.
__________________
"Ride like you want to ride tomorrow."
jdmatara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #902
imaking20
Is this a segment?
 
imaking20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In a puddle
Posts: 17,376
Bike: Vengesicle
Re: Cycling Thread

From a physical standpoint: move around on the bike a bit on the longer rides. Exaggerate your motions a bit to stretch.

Nutrition wise: hydration starts with consuming a bottle of water (20-24oz) the hour before your ride, then aim to put down a bottle an hour... It's also good to have some calories in th bottle (80 cal seems to be a Good rule of thumb - which is also equal to a scoop of powdered Gatorade). Then you should plan for a snack roughly every 45 minutes on your ride - if you go to the point that your energy is depleted and you're feeling tired - you've already waited too long.

That said, I consume more on the bike than anyone I ride with... I'm also 30-40lb heavier than all of them and lower bf than all but one.

Keep it up, you'll get there!
__________________
Rest in Peace - Jason "Snocompton" Jones 2/23/87 - 11/4/11
imaking20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #903
imaking20
Is this a segment?
 
imaking20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In a puddle
Posts: 17,376
Bike: Vengesicle
Re: Cycling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmatara View Post
Make sure you're drinking plenty of water. Also supplement with gatorade or some other electrolyte mix drink that will replenish your electrolytes.
Try the energy gels like GU rather than the hearty energy bars. When you're trying to add distance you're body needs to absorb that energy as easily as possible. Gels are extremely easy to digest, whereas bars require more energy to digest.

Lastly, take it easy. You're not gonna magically be able to ride a century overnight. Work your way up.
Cheers and beers.
I take gel packs, gummy snacks, and grain/bars always. Which snack depends on where I'm at in the ride.
__________________
Rest in Peace - Jason "Snocompton" Jones 2/23/87 - 11/4/11
imaking20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #904
Fallis
Meh
 
Fallis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,688
Bike: 05 R6 Track, 09 R1, Strom
Re: Cycling Thread

Thanks gents! That was surprisingly fast replies for being on a motorcycle forum.

I've been adding about 5 miles to my ride every week or so, which seems to be reasonable based on the century training guides I've been looking at. The long ride has been no big deal up to the point that I jumped from ~33 to ~40, at which point those extra miles were pretty damn grueling. Gave it another go last weekend and dialed it back to about 37, but still hit the same wall.

Sounds like I should definitely bring more water. I down a bottle before I leave, but only bring one with me. Time to break out the Camelbak, and grab a few more snacks.

Should probably get in more miles during the week too, as per century training guides.

One thing I forgot to mention - once I hit that wall and legs start throbbing I've noticed my heart rate will start to spike with very little effort. Is that anything I can read into?
Fallis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #905
jdmatara
Just wadd on it.
 
jdmatara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: 'Cuse/NJ/Long Island
Posts: 175
Bike: '03 R6, '74 cb360 cafe
Images: 1
Re: Cycling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
Sounds like I should definitely bring more water. I down a bottle before I leave, but only bring one with me. Time to break out the Camelbak, and grab a few more snacks.
One thing I forgot to mention - once I hit that wall and legs start throbbing I've noticed my heart rate will start to spike with very little effort. Is that anything I can read into?
Yeah you're definitely gonna want more water. Plan for a bottle ~20oz per hour. And if you're gonna be doing more than 40 miles, you're gonna have to plan a route where you can fill up when you're out. Like the other guy said, drink the entire time, not just when you're thirsty. If you're thirsty, you're done for.
I'd imagine you're using a computer/gps to track your distance. Consider turning it off or only displaying speed/cadence to help you overcome the mental wall of that 40 mile mark.
__________________
"Ride like you want to ride tomorrow."
jdmatara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #906
brandonduley
Will work 4 trackdays!!!
 
brandonduley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lebanon, OH
Posts: 741
Bike: 06 R6 Raven
Wow. Just saw this thread.

Back story: had open heart surgery 5 years ago (at age 23) had an aortic aneurism, now have an artificial aortic valve and some artificial tubing.

Was mainly running to keep my heart healthy, but had some IT Band issues in August and decided to get a road bike to try something that would still give me a great workout, but without the hard impact of running.

Bought a cheapo bike. Was riding 40'ish miles a week up until about a month ago when the weather changed. Did do one 60 mile ride in September.




Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
__________________
2006 R6 Raven:Yoshimura TRC Full Exhaust, Bauce ECU Flash, PCIII, Graves Blocks offs & EXUP elim, 520 Conv (-1/+2), Driven Sprockets, RK Chain, GIPro Gear Indicator, GP Shift, Rev Limiter Motorcycle Blog
brandonduley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:10 AM   #907
imaking20
Is this a segment?
 
imaking20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In a puddle
Posts: 17,376
Bike: Vengesicle
Re: Cycling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
Thanks gents! That was surprisingly fast replies for being on a motorcycle forum.

I've been adding about 5 miles to my ride every week or so, which seems to be reasonable based on the century training guides I've been looking at. The long ride has been no big deal up to the point that I jumped from ~33 to ~40, at which point those extra miles were pretty damn grueling. Gave it another go last weekend and dialed it back to about 37, but still hit the same wall.

Sounds like I should definitely bring more water. I down a bottle before I leave, but only bring one with me. Time to break out the Camelbak, and grab a few more snacks.

Should probably get in more miles during the week too, as per century training guides.

One thing I forgot to mention - once I hit that wall and legs start throbbing I've noticed my heart rate will start to spike with very little effort. Is that anything I can read into?
Guess I picked a good week to pop my head back into the forum!


Your fickle heart rate is a sign of fatigue - take the aforementioned nutrition notes and you likely won't run into that for awhile at least.


If you can get in 15-22 miles a few times during the week then at least one 2-3 hour ride on the weekend - you should continue to improve.
__________________
Rest in Peace - Jason "Snocompton" Jones 2/23/87 - 11/4/11
imaking20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #908
Terrible
Premium Member
 
Terrible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,452
Re: Cycling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaking20 View Post

That said, I consume more on the bike than anyone I ride with... I'm also 30-40lb heavier than all of them
Keep it up, you'll get there!
Congratulations of being a fat fcuck.
__________________


2/1/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdamage2122 View Post
Same to you. Hope someday you are put in an unfair leathal position so I can say "well life just isn't fair...". I'm sure your family will agree
Terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #909
imaking20
Is this a segment?
 
imaking20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In a puddle
Posts: 17,376
Bike: Vengesicle
Re: Cycling Thread

__________________
Rest in Peace - Jason "Snocompton" Jones 2/23/87 - 11/4/11
imaking20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #910
imaking20
Is this a segment?
 
imaking20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In a puddle
Posts: 17,376
Bike: Vengesicle
Re: Cycling Thread

I've actually decided to have a target race weight next season... which will be lighter than I've been in 6-7 years. Made a lot easier by the fact that I'm walking around ~6 lbs lighter these days thanks to pedals and not being able to eat gluten
__________________
Rest in Peace - Jason "Snocompton" Jones 2/23/87 - 11/4/11
imaking20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This is a serious thread. YXF-R6 Off Topic Talk 13 06-29-2010 10:01 PM
One of them I'm going to so-cal thread fyrefyter0143 Off Topic Talk 14 06-28-2010 02:33 PM
Looking for an old thread........ dkhntr20 General Discussions 0 01-22-2010 11:21 AM
where to find best cycling gear? aderzhang General Discussions 13 01-18-2010 12:22 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:57 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum
R6-Forum.com is an independent Yamaha enthusiast website. Content on R6-Forum.com is generated by its users and R6-Forum.com is not in any way affiliated with Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A.