03 r6 not starting. Fuel pump not priming : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Exhaust and fuel delivery

Old 12-12-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
Turbosiavr
My R6 eats me.

03 r6 not starting. Fuel pump not priming

Hello everyone. I have a 2003 r6 that ran perfectly until I parked it in my garag for 2 years. The battery died and I got too busy to ride so I just left it in the garage for 2 years with gas in the tank. I know now that wasn't a very smar thing to do but I didn't know it back then. Anyway I bought a new battery and went to start her up and she cranks but does not turn over. I also can't hear the fuel pump priming. I ordered a fuel pump on eBay and it will be here by sat. I also read that it may be the fuel pump relay causing the issue. Where is this relay located? How can I test my old fuel pump to see if It is actually broken. And advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Turbosiavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 06:56 AM   #2
jdmatara
Just wadd on it.

Bike: '03 R6, '74 cb360 cafe
Re: 03 r6 not starting. Fuel pump not priming

Did you drain the old gas that has been sitting in it for two years?
Old 12-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

+1 . . get that gas OUT. unsnap the fuel lines to drain any bad gas from the fuel rail too. I don't know where the relay is, but there is a thread about that not long ago. If you do find the relay bad (as it sometimes trips/shorts when you put a new battery in) you can hook a small hose to the fuel pump. When it primes (if you get it to prime - and should check your Ebay one too) it should push a stream of fuel into a bucket for a few seconds during time it primes. A fuel PSI gauge would be better, need 47-50psi, but doubtful you have one.
if it runs rough once it starts, consider sending us your fuel injectors for service. www.proflowtech.com A good portion of the injectors we get are from boats, bikes, cars, etc. that sat for a long time like your bike did.

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
Turbosiavr
My R6 eats me.

Yes I drained the old gas out. I think I found the fuel pump relay. It was under the tail fairing and it looked ok. I got a pump coming from eBay this Friday so I guess I'll see then if it will work.
Turbosiavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
JFielder91
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2006 Yamaha R6 Raven

I just had this problem. I don't know how different our bikes is but the Fuel pump uses the Main relay which is under the tank. There is 2 relays it is the one closes to the left of the bike if your sitting on it. I changed it and now my pump is working great
1989 Mustang Gt
JFielder91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement