8 second 1/4 mile on E85.....in a VW...... - Page 8 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > Off Topic Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #71
gsxcorey
Riding his own ride...
 
gsxcorey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 4,713
Re: 8 second 1/4 mile on E85.....in a VW......

wasn't asking for info to use it. Was just curious as we just started selling a powershifter and I won't lie. I don't even know what is out there. Like to be knowledgeable on our products so over the next few days was gonna research them. Not for myself, but just gee whiz info. We have always done road racing stuff only so I'm far from knowledgeable on the drag scene with bikes. A lot of my car buddies though have busa's and drag bikes and have started asking us to get stuff so I've been doing a little research in my free time.
__________________
Corey

Check us out on Facebook too.
gsxcorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #72
My94GT
Premium Member
 
My94GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 7,906
Re: 8 second 1/4 mile on E85.....in a VW......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
Drag strips are always slicker than the road unless its real hot out. My firebird puts rubber down into 3rd (built automatic) on the strip but only leave slight marks on the street hitting 3rd.

You should be all about bracket racing!! You'd be giving someone like me in that 69 SS a good 3 full seconds head start and then chase me down!! It's as fun as chasing someone down the straight to outbreak em for turn 1!!!




Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

you guys must have some dog shit prep work at the tracks you go to then. hit up MIR, ive yet to find any local street that hooks anywhere close to what that track hooks like.
__________________

sig by milko
my build thread-
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152740
My94GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #73
bryan j
pin it to win it
 
bryan j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: forsyth GA
Posts: 7,947
Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
Quote:
Originally Posted by My94GT View Post
you guys must have some dog shit prep work at the tracks you go to then. hit up MIR, ive yet to find any local street that hooks anywhere close to what that track hooks like.
Right. at the Atl motor speed way it's sticky as hell. If your shoes aren't laced tight, they will stick to the track surface
__________________
Go fast parts:
Pipercross race filter, Leo sbk slip on, 05 header mod, pcv, bauce racing ecu flash, agg smog block offs, quick turn throttle, 520 rk gxw chain -1-1 renthal sprockets, ebc hh pads
, Shorai battery.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,


Support the forum Vendors
bryan j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #74
redisdeadrideblue
Official Noob Greeter
 
redisdeadrideblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Humboldt Native, Sacramento Captive
Posts: 53,308
Bike: some stupid ones
Re: 8 second 1/4 mile on E85.....in a VW......

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxcorey View Post
wasn't asking for info to use it. Was just curious as we just started selling a powershifter and I won't lie. I don't even know what is out there. Like to be knowledgeable on our products so over the next few days was gonna research them. Not for myself, but just gee whiz info. We have always done road racing stuff only so I'm far from knowledgeable on the drag scene with bikes. A lot of my car buddies though have busa's and drag bikes and have started asking us to get stuff so I've been doing a little research in my free time.
You could bitch out and go look at what Brock's and Schnitz sell, but they drag race, so going to you would be like road racers going to them for parts. You're going to have an uphill battle there, as they develop parts, not just hawk them. Personally, I've had some good conversations with Brock and Ryan Schnitz, and they were VERY helpful in getting me straightened out. Those guys have forgotten more about drag racing bikes than most people ever know. Gadson too.

Dont take this the wrong way, but I would rather buy from them knowing that they know what the fcuk they are selling rather than someone who is just picking up the sport to make a few bucks, same dude who was talking shit about bracket racers and then admitting they havent bracket raced. You might want to look into how many bracket racers there are versus index class racers before you clown their chosen form of racing. But whatever, as I said before, I love when people who think they know something about drag racing line up with me in a bracket race. I dont mind taking their money, it spends just as well as mine, but it feels better when its someone else's.

And yeah, a properly prepped track hooks up SOLID. Tell your track owner to stop being cheap and spray some VHT down before someone in over their head wads an expensive car. And dude, runflats are about the worst possible choice.
redisdeadrideblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #75
gsxcorey
Riding his own ride...
 
gsxcorey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 4,713
Re: 8 second 1/4 mile on E85.....in a VW......

We just got new shoes on the car today. Should hook good now.

Not looking to get into the drag scene, just get some friends some stuff is about it. It's not our scene and never will be. A few of the guys are asking us to stock a little bit when they need something in a jam and help get them some deals is all. Nice to know your head from your ass though ya know It's nothing we plan on "getting into" though as we are swamped with what we are doing already.

Wasn't talking shit, just giving my opinion on bracket racing. Never done it, but it just doesn't seem like something that would appeal to me. Nobody I know does it either and half the track was getting frustrated with all the 18 sec cars clogging up the track. I may try it sometime, and who knows I might like it, but based on watching it just doesn't seem much like racing, but trying to be consistent and not fast. Like motogp awarding the winner to the person with the most consistent lap times every lap. I may be wrong, just my .02 from watching it.
__________________
Corey

Check us out on Facebook too.

Last edited by gsxcorey; 12-13-2012 at 12:10 PM.
gsxcorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #76
redisdeadrideblue
Official Noob Greeter
 
redisdeadrideblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Humboldt Native, Sacramento Captive
Posts: 53,308
Bike: some stupid ones
Re: 8 second 1/4 mile on E85.....in a VW......

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxcorey View Post
We just got new shoes on the car today. Should hook good now.

Not looking to get into the drag scene, just get some friends some stuff is about it. It's not our scene and never will be. A few of the guys are asking us to stock a little bit when they need something in a jam and help get them some deals is all. Nice to know your head from your ass though ya know It's nothing we plan on "getting into" though as we are swamped with what we are doing already.

Wasn't talking shit, just giving my opinion on bracket racing. Never done it, but it just doesn't seem like something that would appeal to me. Nobody I know does it either and half the track was getting frustrated with all the 18 sec cars clogging up the track. I may try it sometime, and who knows I might like it, but based on watching it just doesn't seem much like racing, but trying to be consistent and not fast. Like motogp awarding the winner to the person with the most consistent lap times every lap. I may be wrong, just my .02 from watching it.
Its a little more complicated than that, and I dont think I've ever seen an 18 second motorcycle pass. Ive seen probably 15.5 as the slowest and I think that was a ninja 250.

And brackets arent for everyone. Or, actually, they are. Its the only way to allow a lot of people to compete without a spec formula, and if you think that there arent bracket guys going 7s, you're wrong. You can go as fast as you want. And really, show me some top level index class teams that are winning often that are inconsistent to begin with. Those guys can tell you down to the hundredth what their car should run with given conditions, so if we call it like it really is, the only difference between brackets and index is that brackets offer a handicap system to allow more people to race. And I guarantee that you'll see index guys that run brackets too, with the same car.
redisdeadrideblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #77
gsxcorey
Riding his own ride...
 
gsxcorey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 4,713
Re: 8 second 1/4 mile on E85.....in a VW......

I was talking about cars with bracket racing. On a bike I could see it as it would be a lot harder to even be consistent. No doubt it would take a lot of practice to launch it the same every time, shift, etc. The cars though were a bunch of 15+ sec cars bracket racing. Not really my thing.

Fast brackets would be something to watch, but not the 15+ brackets where they all have auto tranny's, etc. Like watching two stock f150's bracket race.

Didn't see bikes bracket race there, but I can see that a lot harder or even fast m/t cars, but that wasn't the case at our local track.
__________________
Corey

Check us out on Facebook too.
gsxcorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #78
redisdeadrideblue
Official Noob Greeter
 
redisdeadrideblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Humboldt Native, Sacramento Captive
Posts: 53,308
Bike: some stupid ones
Re: 8 second 1/4 mile on E85.....in a VW......

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxcorey View Post
I was talking about cars with bracket racing. On a bike I could see it as it would be a lot harder to even be consistent. No doubt it would take a lot of practice to launch it the same every time, shift, etc. The cars though were a bunch of 15+ sec cars bracket racing. Not really my thing.

Fast brackets would be something to watch, but not the 15+ brackets where they all have auto tranny's, etc. Like watching two stock f150's bracket race.

Didn't see bikes bracket race there, but I can see that a lot harder or even fast m/t cars, but that wasn't the case at our local track.
did you go to some weird street night or something. There are plenty of classes with lower time cutoffs. Like SuperPro for cars. Ive never seen a 15 second car in SuperPro. Go to an actual drag race day and its a lot more entertaining. Ive seen LOTS of cars that pull the front tires. That is entertaining every time.
redisdeadrideblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #79
My94GT
Premium Member
 
My94GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 7,906
Re: 8 second 1/4 mile on E85.....in a VW......

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisdeadrideblue View Post
did you go to some weird street night or something. There are plenty of classes with lower time cutoffs. Like SuperPro for cars. Ive never seen a 15 second car in SuperPro. Go to an actual drag race day and its a lot more entertaining. Ive seen LOTS of cars that pull the front tires. That is entertaining every time.
he likely went on a test n tune night. some tracks still run slower brackets on test n tune nights, its boring as fcuk to watch. then again i think test n tune in general is boring to watch because you get all the dumb fcuks out with their pos build that break and hold up everyone else from running.

ive always been a fan of heads up racing, and more so the secluded invite only type street racing i used to watch when i was younger. bring your cash and run what you brung, hope you brought enough. i would enjoy watching some of the nmra races if i had more free time to go when they are around.
__________________

sig by milko
my build thread-
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152740
My94GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #80
redisdeadrideblue
Official Noob Greeter
 
redisdeadrideblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Humboldt Native, Sacramento Captive
Posts: 53,308
Bike: some stupid ones
Re: 8 second 1/4 mile on E85.....in a VW......

Quote:
Originally Posted by My94GT View Post
he likely went on a test n tune night. some tracks still run slower brackets on test n tune nights, its boring as fcuk to watch. then again i think test n tune in general is boring to watch because you get all the dumb fcuks out with their pos build that break and hold up everyone else from running.

ive always been a fan of heads up racing, and more so the secluded invite only type street racing i used to watch when i was younger. bring your cash and run what you brung, hope you brought enough. i would enjoy watching some of the nmra races if i had more free time to go when they are around.
Dude, I hate the NASA/VW races. Those god damn vws break every fcuking time and the asshole HAS TO run it as far as he possibly can because he thinks it gets him cool points. Then you wait for an hour while they mop up the oil. I hate those things. Same with the guys that put like 50lbs of boost on their SRT4 neon thinking it will hold together. Our TNT days are only TNT though, and usually pretty low on attendance. You can get probably 15 passes if you want, maybe more.
redisdeadrideblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/4 Mile Bozzo06 General Discussions 3 05-22-2008 06:31 PM
1/4 mile, and what's the best way to take off. leonelrr General Discussions 17 03-31-2007 12:27 AM
1/4 mile The Surgeon General Discussions 4 02-08-2007 07:45 PM
r6 1/4 mile redwood650 General Discussions 41 11-15-2006 07:58 PM
R6 on a 1/4 mile king_dingaling General Discussions 11 09-05-2005 08:49 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:16 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Forum Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum Kawasaki Ninja 250SL Forum
R6-Forum.com is an independent Yamaha enthusiast website. Content on R6-Forum.com is generated by its users and R6-Forum.com is not in any way affiliated with Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A.