What suspension do you have? - Page 5 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Suspension settings

Old 12-13-2012, 05:50 AM   #41
DanQ
Yamaha Blue in any color

Bike: FZR-1K, R1, Vmax, R6
Re: What suspension do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
grandpa? that's awesome.. ! keep riding man.
Thanks! I plan to ride until I can't walk. Then I plan to build something to help me continue.

Dan

CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1
05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
05 V-Max 0098/2000 20th Anniversary
04 Roadstar Warrior

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
DanQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 08:05 AM   #42
Mr. Azim
I eat my R6

Instead of doing a basic fork spring upgrade..... I'm going to spruce up the valving on the stock forks I have since I'm the correct weight for the stock springs. Never had a problem with any rebound or sag settings, just need to get a little more adjust-ability from it.
SOAR Novice #84
2006 Yamaha YZF-R6

2013 Sponsors/Supporters
Trackside Cuts Custom Leather & Vinyl
MikeyMoto Racing Lightweight Brake Rotors, Levers & Guards
Racer5 & Speedworx Racer Training & Motorcycle Accessories/Parts/Repairs
Bluestreak Racing Motorcycle Parts & Accessories
Vortex Racing Motorcycle Parts & Accessories
Mr. Azim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #43
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Azim View Post
Instead of doing a basic fork spring upgrade..... I'm going to spruce up the valving on the stock forks I have since I'm the correct weight for the stock springs. Never had a problem with any rebound or sag settings, just need to get a little more adjust-ability from it.
i think this is a very good way to go for many riders, even some racers. RaceTech and others have ways of doing this that work. I race "A" class harescrambles on a crf450 with racetech valving here in FL and do very well. It was a HUGE improvement over the stock mx valving it came with. Nothin fancy on the dirt bike.. now it's not ideal for mx, it's valved for offroad (not for huge jumps). but does what it's designed for VERY well..

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #44
mercenary
When in doubtThrottle out

Bike: Under Construction
Excited to get out on my new suspension to compare the feel I get out of it compared to the stock I was on before.

MCRA/CCS#81
mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #45
Shawn3210
I eat my R6

Bike: 2009 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercenary View Post
Excited to get out on my new suspension to compare the feel I get out of it compared to the stock I was on before.
what did you get?

I'm probably just gonna do the racetech gold valve kit over the summer and put ohlins fluid.

I already have a revalved rear stock shock.....might pick up my friend's elka 3 way adjustable tho for 500.
CVMA #143

Faceboooooook
Shawn3210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #46
Mr. Azim
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
i think this is a very good way to go for many riders, even some racers. RaceTech and others have ways of doing this that work. I race "A" class harescrambles on a crf450 with racetech valving here in FL and do very well. It was a HUGE improvement over the stock mx valving it came with. Nothin fancy on the dirt bike.. now it's not ideal for mx, it's valved for offroad (not for huge jumps). but does what it's designed for VERY well..
Nice, thanks for the info. I have another friend who runs stock springs on his 2006, but just upped the valving on both ends.

Any thoughts on upgrading the compression first, or the rebound? I'm waiting for R/T and a vendor to get back to me about selling a kit that comes with both.
SOAR Novice #84
2006 Yamaha YZF-R6

2013 Sponsors/Supporters
Trackside Cuts Custom Leather & Vinyl
MikeyMoto Racing Lightweight Brake Rotors, Levers & Guards
Racer5 & Speedworx Racer Training & Motorcycle Accessories/Parts/Repairs
Bluestreak Racing Motorcycle Parts & Accessories
Vortex Racing Motorcycle Parts & Accessories

Last edited by Mr. Azim; 12-13-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Mr. Azim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #47
mercenary
When in doubtThrottle out

Bike: Under Construction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn3210 View Post
what did you get?

I'm probably just gonna do the racetech gold valve kit over the summer and put ohlins fluid.

I already have a revalved rear stock shock.....might pick up my friend's elka 3 way adjustable tho for 500.
25mm ohlins cartridges, and ohlins adjustable shock (pre ttx series)

MCRA/CCS#81
mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #48
Renodezrat
I eat my R6

Just scored a set of forks with 25mm Ohlins cartridges on ebay. So a long with the JRI shock. I should be good to go is it April Yet?
Renodezrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #49
MELK-MAN
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renodezrat View Post
Just scored a set of forks with 25mm Ohlins cartridges on ebay. So a long with the JRI shock. I should be good to go is it April Yet?
ok.. now that you have he 25mm kit that is only 1/2 the battle. You need to have it set up by someone that really knows what's what. A professional suspension tuner in other words. They will inspect the cart. kit to ensure nothing is wrong, then will talk with you about what shim stack, springs, and oil level will work best for YOU, as well as assemble it correctly. It's like a motor. You can buy all kinds of expensive kit bits, but assemble it like a novice, and you end up with junk.

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #50
DanQ
Yamaha Blue in any color

Bike: FZR-1K, R1, Vmax, R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Azim View Post
Nice, thanks for the info. I have another friend who runs stock springs on his 2006, but just upped the valving on both ends.

Any thoughts on upgrading the compression first, or the rebound? I'm waiting for R/T and a vendor to get back to me about selling a kit that comes with both.
Honestly, I do both on every set of forks I build. If I had to choose one, I really like the mid-valve of the HFR rebound valve. My "signature" build is the G2R compression valve paired with the HFR rebound valve, depending on the year (on the 06 plus the G2R is not available or needed because they have high speed compression built in). It's a little stiffer than some folks would prefer on the street, but on the track it can be rather great depending on the DVS information.

They are pretty easy to install if you have the right tools, and the company provides great support for do it yourselfers.

Dan

CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1
05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
05 V-Max 0098/2000 20th Anniversary
04 Roadstar Warrior

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
DanQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement