Intermediate pace track tire - Page 4 : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Tire Tech Talk

Old 12-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #31
R-Silaxin
Track=Cocaine

Bike: 06 R-6 Deathraven
OP I'm running The Pirelli SP's and they are so awesome! I'll run through a few sets of these and then make the transition To The SC race compounds. For a street/track tire I don't think there's better grip Out there. Not only insane grip, but softer compound which helps keep the suspension smooth and settled! Recommended to me by none other then Anthony of BAUCE Racing. Such a sweet tire! I'll be able advance my pace with this into expert I'm sure... They are that awesome! Just my two cents...

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL https://www.youtube.com/user/adam2cox
MY FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...79&ref=tn_tnmn

MY XBL GAMERTAG: AmericanGingers
R-Silaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 12:07 AM   #32
Panici
Knee drags YOU!

Bike: '05 R6 + Vintage Yamahas
Re: Intermediate pace track tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedogg624 View Post
Not to push sales away from forum vendors, but with the pace you're describing, you're honestly too slow for slicks. They won't be to optimum temp unless you push them harder than your current skillset allows.

Go with the street/track tire of the Michelin.

PS, Pure's are out and being replaced by the Power 3's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercenary View Post
The sbk pro is a street tire compound molded into a slick. There is no issue running an intermediate pace on them with or without warmers.
???

A few vintage Yamaha bikes
Panici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:51 AM   #33
shad0ws
I have 2 belly buttons.

Bike: '09 R6
All this talk makes me want to trade my bt003rs's for a soft carcass as well.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com App
Old 12-19-2012, 06:12 AM   #34
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by My94GT View Post
i had asked about this in the sport bike track gear thread and they made it seem like the pure was being replaced.
I'm sure Tommy will post something definitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Silaxin View Post
OP I'm running The Pirelli SP's and they are so awesome! I'll run through a few sets of these and then make the transition To The SC race compounds. For a street/track tire I don't think there's better grip Out there. Not only insane grip, but softer compound which helps keep the suspension smooth and settled! Recommended to me by none other then Anthony of BAUCE Racing. Such a sweet tire! I'll be able advance my pace with this into expert I'm sure... They are that awesome! Just my two cents...

If you have the extra $ to get the SP's over pures or the other options, that's the way to go IMO. Then the transition from them to the race compounds is hassle free since you're already used to the profile and carcass feel, etc. Just a click or so more rear compression for the added traction when you goto the race compounds and the bike will be great in many cases!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panici View Post
???
The problem you WILL have is that they are super soft carcass and without warmers the cold pressures for them is too low to really have the bike even feel remotely comfortable for those warmup laps. 31/26 is what I favored on them, and that's like 28 and 22 or so cold, maybe even less as your pace increases.

Riding around like this makes the bars steer with the bike like you've got a flat front tire until they warm up. I hated them cold and the few times I ran without warmers on them I was not happy at all.

And warmers pay for themselves by giving you less cold tearing and better tire wear as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0ws View Post
All this talk makes me want to trade my bt003rs's for a soft carcass as well.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com App
The BT-003 isn't very hard, it's the front tire sidewalls and feeling that everyone seems to complain about. The R10's are a much better tire for sure, but even that front tire is VERY picky and the compound sucks and isn't nearly soft enough. You can do like 3+ rears to a front no problem, the front tire was so hard, but still gripped like hell.

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #35
Panici
Knee drags YOU!

Bike: '05 R6 + Vintage Yamahas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
The problem you WILL have is that they are super soft carcass and without warmers the cold pressures for them is too low to really have the bike even feel remotely comfortable for those warmup laps. 31/26 is what I favored on them, and that's like 28 and 22 or so cold, maybe even less as your pace increases.

Riding around like this makes the bars steer with the bike like you've got a flat front tire until they warm up. I hated them cold and the few times I ran without warmers on them I was not happy at all.
I have warmers already, and plan to use them. So I should be good with the SBK pro slick.

A few vintage Yamaha bikes
Panici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:42 AM   #36
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panici View Post
I have warmers already, and plan to use them. So I should be good with the SBK pro slick.
I don't see why not. I rode em into the race/expert, so did Billy and plenty of other people I know. It's a favorite amongst control riders as well.

It's harder compound is made up for by the epic size of the contact patch. I've got some pics from when I was still on street plastics on em and you can see the mega contact patch in any shot bro. They are a great tire, and will really show you the ropes as they do break loose, slide, and will teach you great throttle control at lean too.

They don't maintain that hard drive of a DOT when you're WOT on exits, but you're best off running em and learning to drop your head and tip up a split second quicker to power out on em. So they do loose that drive when they spin a lot and the rear can unload, but at I pace, it shouldn't be an issue and you wanna focus on carrying more corner speed.

They are really a great tire, and you can get damn close to Novice race pace on them for sure as well. It will take a few sessions to get used to braking on them though. If you grab abruptly, you will feel it squish then bounce back up.

The only downfall is if it's even moist out they are lethal.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-

Last edited by ChiefSmokeDawg; 12-19-2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #37
Dossy600
Keep Sliding

Bike: R6 Trackbike

This Thread has been a good read, Not trying to hi-jak a thread but most replies seem to be about riders with fast pace, im just wondering what would be a good tyre for a trackday beginner??
I plan on buying tyre warmers aswell at some stage
Dossy600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:23 AM   #38
natedogg624
I eat my R6

I made it well into the advanced class with the old school original pilot powers. The street tires being produced today are more than capable to cover a wide range of skillsets.
Nathan - #425 - 07 Yamaha R6
35 Motorsports, Vortex Racing, Pit Posse Motorsports, Spy Optics, Suomy Helmets, 614 Paintworx, Optimal Racing, GP Tech
Nationwide Children's Hospital/Ohio Motorcyclists for Children
The Retrofit Source
natedogg624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:27 AM   #39
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Quote:
I made it well into the advanced class with the old school original pilot powers. The street tires being produced today are more than capable to cover a wide range of skillsets.
They also operate in damn near any temperature range as well!

They are also excellent in the wet too.

I found the pures weren't lasting me very long on the rear due to heavy hand syndrome so that's when I switched to the slicks for most of my first season!

It sucks if u don't have anything for the rain tho

Old 12-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #40
Dossy600
Keep Sliding

Bike: R6 Trackbike

Quote:
Cheers mate,
Im thinking either: Pirelli DIABLO SUPERCORSA SP or Pirelli DIABLO ROSSO CORSA
Dossy600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement